Any Ohioan CCW holders have an opinion on this article?

This is a discussion on Any Ohioan CCW holders have an opinion on this article? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Of course anyone is welcome to discuss. Opinions and thoughts? "Ohio gun owners are well aware of our antiquated, backwards laws relating to gun ownership ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Ohioan CCW holders have an opinion on this article?

Of course anyone is welcome to discuss. Opinions and thoughts?

"Ohio gun owners are well aware of our antiquated, backwards laws relating to gun ownership and usage. One thing area gun owners of every stripe – hunters, clay shooters, handgun shooters, competitive shooters and self-defense advocates – uniformly agree upon is that our laws regulating unloaded transportation of firearms in a motor vehicle have been twisted well beyond the understanding of the average person.

Quite a few gun owners have heard the horror stories - anti-gun jurisdictions arresting people transporting unloaded firearms in a car simply because there was a bullet in the gun case, shotgun shells in the vest next to the gun case or a magazine with ammunition in it somewhere in the range bag.

Most Ohio gun owners don’t realize just how bad it is in Ohio, and won’t know until they get arrested and charged with a felony they had no idea they were committing."

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3646.html

I agree that the Ohio gun laws about the seperating the ammo from the firearm in transportation is out of control. It was like this for years. I grew up in a Kentucky - Ohio border area. I went to high-school in Ohio. I would hear about un-suspecting innocent gun owners battling through the court systems because of a honest mistake. I would think with the CCW law in effect in Ohio these stupid laws would be fixed.

I now live in Colorado and our laws are much better. We are not allowed to have a chanbered round in any long gun for safety reasons, but there isn't the seperate the ammo issue.

Welcome aboard St.77. And thank you for reading Buckeye Firearms website!

Fixing this transportation problem is on our (Buckeye Firearms) list of things to get fixed ASAP. The legislature should be back in session this week after the summer break. We've also been told that it's going to be a very short session given the holiday's coming up. So, if it's going to get hearings, they are going to need to get on it immediately. Stay tuned to BFA's website for further updates.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Just another tidbit of information that I wouldn't have known about if it wasn't for defensivecarry.com and Buckeye Firearms. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Saint77! And thank you Linda for helping to run a top-notch organization.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Sponsor

I'm A Felon?!!

Upon reading the article @ Buckeye Firearms I have to say that I can't believe I never noticed this contradiction in legislation.
    I regularly transport unloaded hand guns and ammunition in my range bag in the "trunk area" of my PT Cruiser, which has back seats that can be dropped from the passenger compartment.
    So the loaded .40 cal. on my hip is legal but the unloaded .22 plinker in the trunk is not!!! WOW this has to have been engineered by the legislators to give a slam dunk conviction to be played as an ace in the hole.

I can't imagine many of the LEOs in my area enforcing this as most of them are avid 2A supporters and recreational shooters, but I can certainly see the problem in more liberal bent areas.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    So the loaded .40 cal. on my hip is legal but the unloaded .22 plinker in the trunk is not!!!.
    What about that spare magazine on your belt?

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    What about that spare magazine on your belt?
    Don't you mean "spare magazines"?
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Welcome aboard St.77. And thank you for reading Buckeye Firearms website!

Fixing this transportation problem is on our (Buckeye Firearms) list of things to get fixed ASAP. The legislature should be back in session this week after the summer break. We've also been told that it's going to be a very short session given the holiday's coming up. So, if it's going to get hearings, they are going to need to get on it immediately. Stay tuned to BFA's website for further updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    Just another tidbit of information that I wouldn't have known about if it wasn't for defensivecarry.com and Buckeye Firearms. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Saint77! And thank you Linda for helping to run a top-notch organization.
    Thank you lacrosse50, and Linda both. I found it a good article and was very glad for the tidbit at the bottom to use Federal law to trump this silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Upon reading the article @ Buckeye Firearms I have to say that I can't believe I never noticed this contradiction in legislation.
    I regularly transport unloaded hand guns and ammunition in my range bag in the "trunk area" of my PT Cruiser, which has back seats that can be dropped from the passenger compartment.
    So the loaded .40 cal. on my hip is legal but the unloaded .22 plinker in the trunk is not!!! WOW this has to have been engineered by the legislators to give a slam dunk conviction to be played as an ace in the hole.

I can't imagine many of the LEOs in my area enforcing this as most of them are avid 2A supporters and recreational shooters, but I can certainly see the problem in more liberal bent areas.
    Even though i'm only a recent firearms user and CCW licenscee, and while im versed enough to keep me good , safe, and legal, I hadn't completely studied up on all this law, I will now though.

...and I fully admit to being a dodohead when it comes to legal speak.

I carry a ccw glock on my waist while in Ohio on vacation. I .also carry several handguns in a case with ammo in the bed of my truck which is locked. I have been doing this for years. I'm from Florida.
    How many Ohio laws am I breaking?

As a CCW holder, none. There isn't a limit on how many handguns you can carry, and they understand that a CCW handgun will be carried loaded.

If you're not a CCW holder, you're breaking a few you don't want to get caught on.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

I was mainly concerned about the guns and ammo mixed together in the locked bed of the truck. Thanks for the comeback. I thought this law was already changed. Thanks Tom

Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    And thank you Linda for helping to run a top-notch organization.
    You're very welcome. It is my pleasure. We have an awesome leadership team!

WOW this has to have been engineered by the legislators to give a slam dunk conviction to be played as an ace in the hole.
    We truly believe this was not engineered by the Legislature, but was an unintentional slip up, that they were not aware of until we brought it to their attention.

Easiest way to avoid all this is keep your unloaded gun in a locked gun case, all by itself. Never ever put it in your range bag. One little loose round in the bottom of your range bag, even though it may be of a different caliber, could currently constitute that gun being "loaded". Best as well, unload all magazines, keep them separate from the gun. Just one more little safe guard.

This is on our immediate plans to get fixed. As you can see from Ken Hanson's article, the Senate has been the problem, not the House.

I'm in Ohio and I have no understanding of this law. I can legally carry a loaded gun concealed but I can't transport that loaded gun in my trunk ? What if I installed a safe in my trunk? This law makes as much sense as all the stores I see with 3x5 no gun stickers stuck on the windows and not the door. I have heard so many different stories on the net can someone please inform me what the penalty is if I don't notice the tiny sticker?
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

The law applies to those who do NOT have a chl that is recognized in Ohio.

Otherwise there would be over 91,000 felons walking the streets daily with their loaded handguns.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Quote Originally Posted by tapout1003 View Post
    can someone please inform me what the penalty is if I don't notice the tiny sticker?
    It's a misdemeaner trespassing charge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links