Hypothetical Question

This is a discussion on Hypothetical Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hypothetical question. If a person puts a down payment on a pistol and waits for the NICS check and passes, is it likely that the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical Question

Hypothetical Question

hypothetical question. If a person puts a down payment on a pistol and waits for the NICS check and passes, is it likely that the person could get a concealed weapons license.

2. Remove Ads

It's likely. You still have to fill any requirements of your state like taking a class or passing a shooting proficiency test. One would guess that if you passed the NICS check your criminal history at least is not an issue. Having a down payment on a gun is irrelevant to getting a carry permit.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigA2 View Post
    hypothetical question. If a person puts a down payment on a pistol and waits for the NICS check and passes, is it likely that the person could get a concealed weapons license.
    You should be able to find your answer here:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

(Florida's concealed weapons laws).

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

JD
    Administrator
    Is this a hypothetical question as in you've done this, or hypothetical as in your thinking about it? Most places I've dealt with don't do the back ground check until the gun is paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by bigA2 View Post
    I would say that if you have cleared a background check for a handgun purchase, your record is most likely clean enough to qualify you for a carry permit. Don't forget the training requirements your state may have though as well as probable fees for the background check and processing.

Here's the basics - issues or history that might preclude you from getting a permit/license - if the hypothetical situation were in Florida:

Possible Reasons for Ineligibility:

o The physical inability to handle a firearm safely.
    o A felony conviction (unless civil and firearm rights have been restored by the convicting authority).
    o Having adjudication withheld or sentence suspended on a felony or misdemeanor crime of violence unless three years have elapsed since probation or other conditions set by the court have been fulfilled.
    o A conviction for a misdemeanor crime of violence in the last three years.
    o A conviction for violation of controlled substance laws or multiple arrests for such offenses.
    o A record of drug or alcohol abuse.
    o Two or more DUI convictions within the previous three years.
    o Being committed to a mental institution or adjudged incompetent or mentally defective.
    o Failing to provide proof of proficiency with a firearm.
    o Having been issued a domestic violence injunction or an injunction against repeat violence that is currently in force.
    o Renouncement of U.S. citizenship.
    o A dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.
    o Being a fugitive from justice.

More info here:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/eligible.html

Oops! Sorry Capt'n Crunch - Just noticed you already have it covered.

If you have passed the criminal background check, that is a good start toward obtaining a permit to carry your pistol. I'd say the other's above have steered you in the right direction. There is a bit more involved than just passing the NICS check, when buying your gun.

Thanks

Thanks Yall, for the replies.

OD*
    Most places I've dealt with don't do the back ground check until the gun is paid for.
    Agreed, that's how we do it also.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    If you have passed the criminal background check, that is a good start toward obtaining a permit to carry your pistol. I'd say the other's above have steered you in the right direction. There is a bit more involved than just passing the NICS check, when buying your gun.
    Exactly...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Most places I've dealt with don't do the back ground check until the gun is paid for.
    I have bought two guns here in Florida within the last year, and both times the NICS check was completed before payment was made. I should mention that both purchases were made at the same gun shop, so maybe that is just the way that shop does business.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I would say that if you have cleared a background check for a handgun purchase, your record is most likely clean enough to qualify you for a carry permit. Don't forget the training requirements your state may have though as well as probable fees for the background check and processing.
    That's what I thought as well but was surprised to find out I could own a gun (even an NFA weapon) but couldn't qualify for a CCW in my state.........

Check out:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=23831

Mike

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    I have bought two guns here in Florida within the last year, and both times the NICS check was completed before payment was made. I should mention that both purchases were made at the same gun shop, so maybe that is just the way that shop does business.
    Did you put the guns on lay-away, or were you in the process of purchasing the gun while the check was going on?

Allow me to rephrase, my earlier statement.

If they do a back ground check before the gun is fully paid for using lay-away, they have performed the check before you're taking possession of the firearm. What I meant in my statement is that they usually do the check at the time of final sale when you're taking possession of the gun.

If they didn't do it like that, you could put money down, do the check, get arrested for murder three days later, get bailed out and go pick up your gun without getting a background check....I don't think it works like that.

One difference (beyond training) in FL is that we run fingerprints for a CWL but not for a purchase. So it's possible to get a clean run by name and social, but fail for prints.

VIP Member
    Hypothetically you passed a NICS. If that is all your state does to issue a concealed carry license then provided you did not hypothetically do something that would otherwise disqualify you from passing a NICS, then hypothetically you would be fine to get a concealed carry permit. Hypothetically of course. Your mileage and conviction rate may vary.

NICS checks are good for 30 days. So said my local dealer. He is a pretty straight guy and abides by the letter, so I'll take his word for it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links