I scare myself, thought process after an incident

This is a discussion on I scare myself, thought process after an incident within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some might have noticed I have been scarce around here for a few weeks... I've been busy. I got myself wrapped up in a situation ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I scare myself, thought process after an incident

Administrator

I scare myself, thought process after an incident

Some might have noticed I have been scarce around here for a few weeks... I've been busy. I got myself wrapped up in a situation at work, everyone came out OK, except a BG.

Anyway, I've noticed myself being slightly edgy, and I got a story to tell. Perhaps I shouldn't, because it tells on myself, and illustrates a huge (but funny) mistake I made in the days after a shooting. This is the real reason I will even tell the story, maybe it will help some of you guys understand what happens after a shooting, and get a good laugh at me too.

Here it goes.
    A few nights ago, I just got home from my first day back at work and took my puppy out to do what pups do best before I went to bed. Now I live in a typical modern subdivision, most lots are about an 1/2 to 3/4 of acre or so.
    My next door neighbors had their back porch light on, I've never seen it on before. So, as I waited on the pup to do his thing, I was paying attention (looking out for) my neighbors, and thinking how odd it was for that light to be on.
    The pup being a pup wanted to play after he lost some weight, so I began to run around the yard with him a little bit. (Keep in mind this is 2am)
    As I rounded the corner on the opposite side of my back yard, I saw a man move in between the houses, and he stopped and crouched down. I knew he had the advantage because I was basked in light from the other neighbors house, so I drew and kept at a low ready.
    It seemed like an hour before I decided my next move, but really it was about a half second. As I shuffled out of the cone of light, I saw the silhouette of my puppy heading right towards the man.
    I then realized my mistake... I heard the instructors and others who have "seen the elephant" who have ever said anything about the aftermath of a critical incident, PTSD or whatever you want to call it this week.
    I was chasing my own shadow. I didn't realize that when the "man" crouched down, thats what I did instinctively. Funny how ones mind deals with stuff. I have never had that happen before (chasing my own shadow) I guess this happened just right.
    This wasn't my first critical incident either. I've been involved in others, both as an LEO and a soldier.
    Anyway, go ahead and laugh, (I'm making fun of myself over it!) but I hope it helps some understand the aftermath of a incident.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    actually i wanna give you props on being vigilant and looking out for your neighbors. It was 2am and i'm sure you were beat.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

JD
    Administrator
    Chasing your shadow is fine on occasion, just so long as you didn't try to box with it

I am glad you didn't shoot!!! LOL, you got quevos to admit you drew on your shadow, but I think the truth be known we have all done stuff like that. Glad it turned out okay.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I am glad you didn't shoot!!! LOL, you got quevos to admit you drew on your shadow, but I think the truth be known we have all done stuff like that. Glad it turned out okay.
    Yeah, I thought long and hard before telling the story, but I thought it might help somebody understand part of the mental process you go through after being involved in an critical incident. It was a new experiance for me. I've heard others talk about it, but its never happened to me before.
    And, I never came close to shooting. The whole thing took place in about 2 seconds.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Humm sounds like Peter Pan syndrome to me.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

6 oclock news.... Home owner has shoot out with his shadow.
    The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding cititzens should also have guns.Otherwise they will win and the decent people will loss.''
    -James Earl Jones.

Glad it turned out well SIXTO. Also glad to see you back here. I had noticed you not being around much for a little while.

Maybe at some future point, you will be able to tell us about the incident that kept you away from here for a while. I know I'd like to hear about it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    everyone came out OK, except a BG.
    as it should be.

Hope all continues to go well....
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Good story and good reaction time. Nothing wrong with it at all, in fact it tells me you're on your toes.

A long time ago, when I was a kid, our next door neighbor was in his kitchen. It was late at night and he heard a noise in his backyard and decided to peep through the venetian blinds. He opened himself a little slit with his finger and looked through and immediately saw a face and pair of eyes looking right back at him. He was so surprised that he ran backwards and tore up some stuff in his kitchen. The eyes looking back at him were his own, in the glass reflection !
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Glad it turned out well SIXTO. Also glad to see you back here. I had noticed you not being around much for a little while.

Maybe at some future point, you will be able to tell us about the incident that kept you away from here for a while. I know I'd like to hear about it.

Oh! That wasn't the incident???

(I knew that!)

Equally glad for you!

---
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

Good Job. Just be glad your neighbor didn't have any full lenght mirrors in his yard. LOL. You actually did very well, identifying before shooting.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post
    Oh! That wasn't the incident???

(I knew that!)

Equally glad for you!

---
    Oh no. The "incident" took place four days prior. I refer to it only as the "incident" because of legal issues. The point of me telling the story I did was to illustrate part of what happens to a person in the days after a shooting.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Glad you're OK, Sixto. Good luck with all the "other stuff" too. Good story, BTW!

Glad all worked out for you on this one sixto, . . . I can attest that it can be funny later, . . . but at the time, it IS NOT FUNNY.

I almost took my .38 Colt to my prize motorcycle a number of years ago, . . . funny now, . . . sure was not then.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.
    If you can read, . . . than a teacher.
    If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links