I made my first mistake while carrying...

This is a discussion on I made my first mistake while carrying... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I had plans to go out last night with a friend to play pool. I had about an hour to kill before I was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I made my first mistake while carrying...

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar

So, I had plans to go out last night with a friend to play pool. I had about an hour to kill before I was supposed to leave to meet my friend, so I laid down to watch an episode of the TV show Surface on DVD (which I'd gotten home with earlier...)

Before I laid down, I took my USPc out of my C-TAC holster, and put it into the space it has reserved for it in my headboard. I laid down, watched my TV show and got up and left.

I went out to the Billiards Hall, and was half way through my first game of pool when I went to adjust my pistol in it's holster. All of a sudden, I was filled with absolute dread, no pistol in my CTAC.

I panicked, had no idea what to do. I quickly told my friend (who doesn't know I carry) that I had to run down to my car, and I'd be right back.

As I'm heading down the stairs in the pool hall, I remember taking my pistol off at home, and where I'd left it. At least it hadn't fallen out onto my car seat without me noticing.

I got home, and there was my USPc, right where I'd left it.

I learned two things though, get used to the pistol, and carry it 16/7, even when it's a little uncomfortable. And double check that everything is secure and where it's supposed to be before you head out.

Now, will anyone else own up to doing something like this?

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Haven't had that happen yet. The closest is locking my keys in the car once.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Oh hell yes. It has happened to me and we ran a thread a while back about it and several distinguished member of this board confessed of having a very senior moment and leaving home with an empty holster. It usually happens only once because the feeling is so awful you learn your lesson.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Uhhhh yeah. This will be an exclusive, since I've never told anyone this. A long time ago, I left the house in a hurry and I was running a little late, I had LEO duty at a local college football game. I got there, checked in, and went to my assigned area. I was in an area under the stadium seating, the game was probably in the first quarter, and a little voice in my head told me to check my gun. At the time I was carrying a S&W 19. The little voice was pretty persistent, well obviously I wasn't going to pull my gun out of the holster in "public", so I found an unoccupied storeroom that "needed checking out". I went inside, shut the door behind me, unholstered my gun and it was EMPTY. GEEEESH.......Barney Fife had more bullets than I did Imagine......"HALT, or I'll shoot......well nevermind, I'll snap this empty gun at you until you're bored into submission".

Fortunately I had ample bullets on my duty belt and loaded my gun appropriately.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    May-be I am starting to see the logic in carrying a BUG. Glad all was well for you.

SleepingZ

It happens to all of us.

If it makes you feel any better, when I was working a patrol K-9 I drove out of my garage and went to a call (foot pursuit) without my dog. Luckily the call was canceled and I didn't realize I forgot him until I got back home.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I have never left anywhere with an empty holster. However, one time I left my house WITH my SW 60, but no shield and ID.

Luckily, I was not far from home when I realized, and I was able to quickly turn around and retrieve them.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

The weight alone is a dead ringer for me if I have my sidearm/s or not. I always try and do a double check before I leave the house, keys, sunglasses, pistol, ammo, flashlight, insulin and meter, good to go!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884 View Post
    Oh yeah, I've done that twice. Got in a hurry, forgot I'd taken the gun out of the holster for one reason or another, walked out the door without it.

It's really a watered-down version of the forgetfulness that lest people leave their kids or dogs in the car for hours in the heat.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Yes, i too have left home with out it. I think i may be coming down with CRS!
    What you think you know.... Can kill you!

Lightbulb Utility of Checklists

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884 View Post

That's why I have a "Pre-Departure Checklist"

Brain....check
    EDC.....check
    Folder....check
    Cell phone.......check
    Keys.......check
    Leatherman.......check
    Wife......check.....
    List for other lists.......check

Now......where the heck was I going?

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Well, I've never left with an empty holster, but on several occasions I have left with my sidearm and no wallet...
    Each time I have been without my wallet, money, I.D.(DR lic & CCW), I carefully turn the car/bike around and drive under the speed limit back to the house...this return home is usually accompanied by the Murphy's Law feeling that this is the day and moment...that I get pulled over!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Oh yes. Was in a convenience store, carefully pushed my cover garment aside to retrieve my wallet without overly exposing my gun, and one brush of my fingertips told me there was no pistol in the holster to expose....... Whoopsie!

And I have also forgotten my wallet, like retsupt99, which holds my DL and more importantly, my License to Carry Handgun, at home but remembered my gun. Not good, as has been pointed out. I gingerly drove back home and retrieved it.

If I take my gun off during the day, I put my keys with it. I've been making sure I don't leave without keys for a lot longer than making sure I'm armed.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Well, I've never left with an empty holster, but on several occasions I have left with my sidearm and no wallet...
    Each time I have been without my wallet, money, I.D.(DR lic & CCW), I carefully turn the car/bike around and drive under the speed limit back to the house...this return home is usually accompanied by the Murphy's Law feeling that this is the day and moment...that I get pulled over!
    I hate to say it, but I've done that several times.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links