Went Shopping

Went Shopping

This is a discussion on Went Shopping within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I went looking for shoes the other day and got kind of disgusted with all of the gun buster signs at the Mall and ...

Thread: Went Shopping

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!

Went Shopping

So I went looking for shoes the other day and got kind of disgusted with all of the gun buster signs at the Mall and the strip malls. As such I wrote the following email to every shoe store that I could not go into. My thought being that the squeaky wheel gets the attention. After all why change your policy if no one complains. So lets start complaining!

In regards to: Your Store in Topeka Not Wanting My Business
    To Whom It May Concern:
    Subject: Lost Sales

I went out looking for shoes yesterday and today and found that my choices in retailers in the Topeka, Kansas area are a bit limited. .I found that Kmart, Wal-Mart, Target, Kohl’s and Browns Shoes to Fit were the only retailers that do not have their businesses posted against Concealed Carry of firearms.

It does not make sense to me why your business is posted. I say that because everyone that has a Concealed Carry License (CCL) has paid out about $500 for the right to carry a weapon. They have been through a background check by the FBI, the local sheriffs department. Everyone has completed a training class that is mandated by the Kansas Attorney General. How many of your other potential customers can make that same statement?

The “No Gun Signs” will keep the law abiding people that have taken the time and expense to carry a weapon from doing business with you. It will not keep the people that unlawfully carry a weapon from entering your business. After all what does a sign matter to them? They are breaking the law anyway.

The Kansas Attorney Generals’ office was estimating that 20,000 Kansans would apply for a CCL. I would not think that you would be comfortable enough to alienate 20,000 Kansans and residents of other states that have a CCL recognized by Kansas out of hand. In my case I carried a weapon in the Air Force for 26 years and have had hundreds of hours of firearms training, I was also a military police officer for most of my career

I am sorry that you feel that you don’t want my business or others like me that have made the choice that self defiance is a better option then being a victim.
    Sincerely yours,
    Last edited by mark555; September 9th, 2007 at 09:58 AM.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Assistant Administrator
    Every little bit can help - and it's good you took the time to communicate your feelings.

They might of course view you as ''just'' one lost customer and not be bothered but - if they took a broader view then maybe they'd see some loss of revenue that matters.

Only thing extra you might have added was that you'd be sure to tell any and all CCW friends and aquaintances to avoid the place too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good letter...more people should write!

One suggestion might be to either eliminate or reword the following statement....
    The Kansas Attorney Generals office was estimating that 2% of the population would apply for a CCL.

It appears to minimize the group, they may not think 2% is nothing to worry about, because they still have the other 98% of shoppers.

I might instead, just mention the (insert large number here) shoppers who have taken the training and time to become lawful license firearms holders and will decide to shop elsewhere! OMO

Respectfully submitted...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    +1 on the letter, I do agree with the other post about leaving out the 2% info, maybe you could do some research on what % of Kansas population has guns, I would assume it to be much higher than 2% and suggest that there signs may offend that percent of the population.

SleepingZ

Extremely eloquent and well written letter. My compliments on a job well done!

VIP Member
    I've written letters and have had no response from any of the business's, but I will continue to write them. Good job

i hope that's not the exact letter you sent. there's several spelling and grammar errors. like it or not, one misspelled word or gammar error can be the difference between them taking you seriously or them just brushing you off.

definitely keep us updated on any responses you may recieve.

Good catch on the writing, grammatical errors and mis-spellings. All word processors have spell check and grammar checkers, even here. That little red line under your words means something just is not right.
    As far as the meat of your letter, good job and keep it up. I just spent $2000 that was destined for Nebraska Furniture Mart but no more, and theirs will be forthcoming real soon. When I spend the remaining $6000, they will hear about that as well. Luck.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Good job! Most of the time it doesn't work but every once-in-awhile it pays off. Those times make it all worth while.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    It does not take much time, and who knows?
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Links