how often are you practicing drawing from a concealed holster? - Page 4

how often are you practicing drawing from a concealed holster?

This is a discussion on how often are you practicing drawing from a concealed holster? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV Opinion based on logic and known facts - how silly is that ? https://www.verywell.com/fast-and-sl...fibers-3120094...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: how often are you practicing drawing from a concealed holster?

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaedrusIV View Post
    Opinion based on logic and known facts - how silly is that ?
    https://www.verywell.com/fast-and-sl...fibers-3120094
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    The old saying is still true,"slow is smooth, smooth is fast".
    With respect to those who accept this as a theorem, I am not a believer. While starting the learning process with any physical activity one is generally best served learning the basics slowly and then building speed, the very idea that "slow = smooth and smooth = fast" taken to it's logical conclusion would mean slow = fast and that in my view is simply nonsense. While a smooth draw stroke certainly has benefits, with consistent practice/effort there is no reason each of us can't be smooth and fast. If we find ourselves in the unfortunate position to have to draw in self defense I much prefer to be fast/smooth and alive than to be slow/smooth and dead. YMMV
    AzQkr and Mike1956 like this.
    I was taught to respect my elders! The problem is, I'm having a much harder time finding them these days .

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Perhaps, but there's no denying Munden's draw stroke isn't smooth, just the opposite, rather violent. And it's also a fact that he had one of the fastest draw strokes to have ever been recorded.

Based on what we can observe, real speed isn't smooth, it's violent. The old saying apparently isn't true, not when watching those who are the fastest.
    Munden looks pretty smooth to me.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Slow=smooth reversed would suggest smooth=slow.

If A is slow; B is smooth and F is fast, and it's a given A=B, and thus B=A, where F is the opposite of A, and A = B, then B can't = F.
    Mike1956 and BuckJM53 like this.

The test will be open book, at 0900 tomorrow.
    AzQkr, Bandit99, Militant and 1 others like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Distinguished Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I'll just skip school if it's OK with the teacher. I have slow/smooth/fast practice at nine. Anyone care to join me ?
    PhaedrusIV and AzQkr like this.

I don't. I carry OWB at 3:00 position with my shirt over it. As long as I can get the shirt up fast enough, I am good.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not very often. I'm as fast as I need or care to be, and don't care to put anymore energy in to it then I have to.

I have gone months without shooting or drawing with no discernible difference.
    Nakyak and Militant like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

I practice as much as I feel like, and no more. Having the fastest draw in the land isn't a goal I strive for. Much like everything else in life, there's a balance we all strike, and whatever you do or don't do is fine with me.
    Militant and bsms2 like this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Not very often. I'm as fast as I need or care to be, and don't care to put anymore energy in to it then I have to.

I have gone months without shooting or drawing with no discernible difference.
    Ever timed your draw speed to know there's been no degradation? I ask only because my draw stroke has apparently increased about .22 seconds [ on average ] over the last dozen years, and I couldn't discern that degradation without it. On top of that, I believe the degradation would have been considerably more had there not been some quantity of regular practice.

It appears it's not the physical time of drawing that's increased, but an increase in the time it takes me to react to stimulus. .22 seconds doesn't seem like much, but it represents a 50% reduction between reaction and physically getting the gun operational.
    Last edited by AzQkr; March 20th, 2017 at 11:01 AM.
    OD* likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Munden attacked the draw/fire violently. Besides, I'll bet dollars to dimes that no one here can come close to equaling Munden's best.
    AzQkr, BuckJM53 and wizard7mm08 like this.
    "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Don Collier, Fury

I already had a very nice combo of speed and smoothness in my draw but I've practice it more and more since I've come across this thread.
    AzQkr likes this.
    HK P30, HK VP9 HK 45c,
    HK P30sk HK USP9c HK USP45c
    HK USP45c Stainless HK USP40c Stainless

Sponsor
    I find the fact that people posting they have a fast smooth draw, or haven't the degradation from lack of practice, or have a draw they believe is fast enough don't post their actual times. Most probably don't actually know their reaction times, many more probably don't want to know.

For years on other forums I stated I was fast when the subject of speed of draw to hits was discussed. Several gamers wanted to know my times, and how could I state I was fast when I didn't have any documented times to be used against the times of those who are/have been considered fast. So I bought a shot timer, threw up some times [ before the you tube channel was created ] and lo and behold, I was told I was fast. Couldn't quantify times and thus determine speed relative to others, without the timer.

How many here who've posted about "speed" actually own a timer and know just what their speed is to draw and fire? Have tracked their progress or degradation over the years to state with some authority through the tale of a timer?
    Mike1956 and OD* like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I find the fact that people posting they have a fast smooth draw, or haven't the degradation from lack of practice, or have a draw they believe is fast enough don't post their actual times. Most probably don't actually know their reaction times, many more probably don't want to know.

For years on other forums I stated I was fast when the subject of speed of draw to hits was discussed. Several gamers wanted to know my times, and how could I state I was fast when I didn't have any documented times to be used against the times of those who are/have been considered fast. So I bought a shot timer, threw up some times [ before the you tube channel was created ] and lo and behold, I was told I was fast. Couldn't quantify times and thus determine speed relative to others, without the timer.

How many here who've posted about "speed" actually own a timer and know just what their speed is to draw and fire? Have tracked their progress or degradation over the years to state with some authority through the tale of a timer?
    You're fast, and accurate. Had you promoted that slow is fast nonsense, I would never have spent thousands of dollars and traveled thousands of miles to see for myself.
    AzQkr likes this.
    "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Don Collier, Fury

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    You're fast, and accurate. Had you promoted that slow is fast nonsense, I would never have spent thousands of dollars and traveled thousands of miles to see for myself.
    When the 2 on 1 happened at bad breath, it was the speed and hits that kept me viable, but the speed made getting the shots off possible. Without what I had, I'd have not gotten to #2 in time for sure..

Time, sometimes it's of the essence, to remain upright and not leaking. As you mentioned elsewhere, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. It's a real kick in the pants to see the slow degradation of speed over a decade. I'm sure it's a combination of age and as I stated on page two, not actually spending the requisite time on draws over the same time frame.

It's like I've turned into this now, comparatively speaking.
    Mike1956 likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links