how often are you practicing drawing from a concealed holster? - Page 5

how often are you practicing drawing from a concealed holster?

This is a discussion on how often are you practicing drawing from a concealed holster? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't practice nearly enough. I've seen shootings on you tube where the CCW holder has the weapon out and is shooting in the time ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: how often are you practicing drawing from a concealed holster?

I don't practice nearly enough. I've seen shootings on you tube where the CCW holder has the weapon out and is shooting in the time it would take me to find the grip and pull my shirt up. I've made the decision to spend more time at the range and practice more often and this is definitely worth the time investment.
    AzQkr, Chuck R. and graydude like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. 74-96.

An election is coming. Universal peace is declared, and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry. ~George Eliot,

Distinguished Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Munden attacked the draw/fire violently. Besides, I'll bet dollars to dimes that no one here can come close to equaling Munden's best.
    Don't know about on here but there are a number of fast draw shooters that have better times than Munden ever posted.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    Don't know about on here but there are a number of fast draw shooters that have better times than Munden ever posted.
    Fast Draw Resource Center - The Making of a 0.252 Second World Record Fast Draw

World record is .252 using special gun and holsters, held by Howard Darby and shot in 2000 in Canada. Mundens best time was recorded at .150 seconds.

Records & Amazing Feats - Bob Munden ? Six-Gun Magic Custom Gunsmithing

Bob holds 18 unbroken World Records in Fast Draw competition that he set with a real, stock-weight, Colt .45 single-action revolver. Though the World Fast Draw Association erased the records more than once when they changed regulations or timing equipment, Bob set them again, always using a real gun and a real holster, no light-weight “funny guns” or gimmicks

Walk and Draw Level Event: Fastest Time Ever Recorded: .15 hundredths of one second — Arcadia, CA 06/04/1972.

Standing Reaction Balloon Event: Fastest Time Ever Recorded: .16 hundredths of one second — Norwalk, CA 01/21/1973.

Incorrect, Mundens fastest recorded time is .150 seconds, which handily beats the current record holders time of .252 seconds. He was hooked up to equipment that discovered his hand was withstanding 10 Gs of force when his weapon is drawn. Noting the 10 G's of force applied to his hand, it's unlikely to be "smooth". Going from 0 to 10 G's in 1/5 of a second or less is NOT going to be smooth, no matter how you slice it.

Does it really matter whether Munden was ever the fastest or not? I used him as an example of how violent the draw is, and whether it's the fastest draw or not, it's likely twice as fast as any member on this forum. And 0-10G's in 1/5 of a second give or take has nothing to do with how smooth one's draw stroke is at those speeds.

In fact, it may be obvious to all but those who cling to the errant mantra. BTW, have you any idea what times you record on access and drawing your own? I would imagine it's very smooth. I'm aware most go through life never knowing their numbers, or even care to know with the knowledge it would indicate geriatric performance.

Of course I use the term geriatric in many posts just tongue in cheek. I'm a bit geriatric myself, according to father time and the timer.
    Last edited by AzQkr; March 20th, 2017 at 03:26 PM.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoman View Post
    I don't practice nearly enough. I've seen shootings on you tube where the CCW holder has the weapon out and is shooting in the time it would take me to find the grip and pull my shirt up. I've made the decision to spend more time at the range and practice more often and this is definitely worth the time investment.
    One can practice accessing their firearm and draw stroke at home anytime they have a free moment.
    Chuck R., Holmes375 and MuchoUno like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    One can practice accessing their firearm and draw stroke at home anytime they have a free moment.
    And practice mag swaps, too. One of the real benefits of modern pistols is the ability to quickly re-load them and be right back in the game. This aspect contributes to the single stack (sub)compact's viability as a defensive weapon in this brave new world. But ya got to get the empty mag out and the new one in seamlessly. A little practice offers significant results in a short time.
    AzQkr likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
    And practice mag swaps, too. One of the real benefits of modern pistols is the ability to quickly re-load them and be right back in the game. This aspect contributes to the single stack (sub)compact's viability as a defensive weapon in this brave new world. But ya got to get the empty mag out and the new one in seamlessly. A little practice offers significant results in a short time.
    Good point Holmes.

VIP Member
    Here's a video of Munden at work. There are many others:

Fastest gunman on planet.
    "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Don Collier, Fury

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    Do any in particular come to mind?
    "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."

Don Collier, Fury

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Do any in particular come to mind?
    Cisco for one. Five balloons widely spaced in a circle. From draw to last balloon .88 seconds. Bob Mernickel, Idaho John, Bill Oglesby, Quick Cal. All their demos are on modern digital timers. I may sound jaundiced toward Munden but I knew him from CAS matches.

I do periodically practice my draw, but probably not often enough. Being a frugal person I haven't picked up a timer, yet, but probably will within the year. Same goes for laser cartridges. Having always been first to finish firing at annual "timed" requal and getting expert every time I haven't given it much thought until now. The time limits we have during qual are pretty easy to make, so it hasn't been a challenge; this also means it's probably not realistic either.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Fast Draw Resource Center - The Making of a 0.252 Second World Record Fast Draw

World record is .252 using special gun and holsters, held by Howard Darby and shot in 2000 in Canada. Mundens best time was recorded at .150 seconds.

Records & Amazing Feats - Bob Munden ? Six-Gun Magic Custom Gunsmithing

Bob holds 18 unbroken World Records in Fast Draw competition that he set with a real, stock-weight, Colt .45 single-action revolver. Though the World Fast Draw Association erased the records more than once when they changed regulations or timing equipment, Bob set them again, always using a real gun and a real holster, no light-weight “funny guns” or gimmicks

Walk and Draw Level Event: Fastest Time Ever Recorded: .15 hundredths of one second — Arcadia, CA 06/04/1972.

Standing Reaction Balloon Event: Fastest Time Ever Recorded: .16 hundredths of one second — Norwalk, CA 01/21/1973.

Incorrect, Mundens fastest recorded time is .150 seconds, which handily beats the current record holders time of .252 seconds. He was hooked up to equipment that discovered his hand was withstanding 10 Gs of force when his weapon is drawn. Noting the 10 G's of force applied to his hand, it's unlikely to be "smooth". Going from 0 to 10 G's in 1/5 of a second or less is NOT going to be smooth, no matter how you slice it.

Does it really matter whether Munden was ever the fastest or not? I used him as an example of how violent the draw is, and whether it's the fastest draw or not, it's likely twice as fast as any member on this forum. And 0-10G's in 1/5 of a second give or take has nothing to do with how smooth one's draw stroke is at those speeds.

In fact, it may be obvious to all but those who cling to the errant mantra. BTW, have you any idea what times you record on access and drawing your own? I would imagine it's very smooth. I'm aware most go through life never knowing their numbers, or even care to know with the knowledge it would indicate geriatric performance.

Of course I use the term geriatric in many posts just tongue in cheek. I'm a bit geriatric myself, according to father time and the timer.
    I have no idea how my geriatric speed compares to others. I do know that I trained on the same "errant mantra" that military special units trained on for years. I'm no longer running mach I with my hair on fire saving the world but when I was my speed was sufficient to allow me the ability to type this. I suspect I can still hang with the over 60 set. Since I go out of my way to avoid trouble I should be OK.
    Nakyak and AzQkr like this.

Ever timed your draw speed to know there's been no degradation? I ask only because my draw stroke has apparently increased about .22 seconds [ on average ] over the last dozen years, and I couldn't discern that degradation without it. On top of that, I believe the degradation would have been considerably more had there not been some quantity of regular practice.

It appears it's not the physical time of drawing that's increased, but an increase in the time it takes me to react to stimulus. .22 seconds doesn't seem like much, but it represents a 50% reduction between reaction and physically getting the gun operational.
    If you are asking if I use a timer to measure each time I do a draw, the answer would be no, so I have no solid evidence.

But then again, it's no big deal.
    AzQkr likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If you are asking if I use a timer to measure each time I do a draw, the answer would be no, so I have no solid evidence.

But then again, it's no big deal.
    I'm as fast as I need or care to be

Hmm, I've never considered being as fast I need to be as it's an unknown how much time, under what circumstances, is going to present.

You have no idea what your reaction time to first shot is? Never been on a timer? If no, it's not really unexpected. I doubt few members actually have a clue about where they are now, nor will be able to determine later if any of their practice has shown positive results or whether age has slowed them and by how much..

I can't state with any certainty I'm as fast as I need to be. I wish I had a crystal ball that could give me some indication one way or another. As for "care to be", I've never liked the idea of settling for less than the best I can be where using a tool to save my butt is the subject matter.

I'm as fast as I need or care to be

Hmm, I've never considered being as fast I need to be as it's an unknown how much time, under what circumstances, is going to present.

You have no idea what your reaction time to first shot is? Never been on a timer? If no, it's not really unexpected. I doubt few members actually have a clue about where they are now, nor will be able to determine later if any of their practice has shown positive results or whether age has slowed them and by how much..

I can't state with any certainty I'm as fast as I need to be. I wish I had a crystal ball that could give me some indication one way or another. As for "care to be", I've never liked the idea of settling for less than the best I can be where using a tool to save my butt is the subject matter.
    Yes, I have been on a timer.

The point is, I do not dither over such things. If I did, it would be irrelevant anyway, unless you were carrying the same gun, same place, and same cover garment every time; which I do not.

Reaction times to what? A buzzer or beep to which I am anticipating?

As far as I'm concerned it's all a wonderful exercise to determine what one can do on the range, fully anticipating the event, but that's about as far as it goes.

But at the root of it, is I don't care about it as much as some others may, it just not that important to me.
    I wake up every day fully prepared to live or die, and give a good account of myself whichever way it goes.

Shooting is strictly recreational for me at this stage in my life, and while I keep an interest in SD by a necessity ruled by common sense, and have many years of training and teaching under my belt, things like draw time take a seat way back in the bleachers to my other interests.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yes, I have been on a timer.

The point is, I do not dither over such things. If I did, it would be irrelevant anyway, unless you were carrying the same gun, same place, and same cover garment every time; which I do not.

It would be relevant, if with various carry methods, but only if one were to practice from those positions. For instance, I carry a snub in the back pocket, due to practice of both front and rear pocket carry. That led to the discovery that I'm twice as slow digging into the front pocket for the gun than I am drawing it like a wallet from the back pocket. I fully believe that's quite relevant to how one might decide to carry a snub on the street. And that's just one example, they are too numerous to go through here

Reaction times to what? A buzzer or beep to which I am anticipating?

Sure, why not? It gives one a measure of where they may be deficient, particularly the time it's taking them to respond from any outside stimulus [ lift shirt, acquire gun butt, pull gun from holster, go horizontal, acquire that perfect stance and two hand hold. If one doesn't have a sense of how long it will take to go operational, one may just get themselves in over their head thinking they've got more juice than they actually possess. And again, it doesn't have to be from a signal to draw, one should understand the time it takes them to initiate and execute the first shot when they've decided it's go time, perhaps preemptively.

As far as I'm concerned it's all a wonderful exercise to determine what one can do on the range, fully anticipating the event, but that's about as far as it goes.

It's an exercise that determines where work needs to be concentrated on. Is it clearing the garment that's the bottleneck or is it the holster position that's a hinderance. For some, probably many, they've never been tasked with drawing under stress. Fof training has demonstrated far too often that the majority fall apart while responding to an attack, fumble the draw in haste [ which they've never practiced ] etc.

But at the root of it, is I don't care about it as much as some others may, it just not that important to me.
    I wake up every day fully prepared to live or die, and give a good account of myself whichever way it goes.

Bingo, there's the mentality behind the post/s

Shooting is strictly recreational for me at this stage in my life, and while I keep an interest in SD by a necessity ruled by common sense, and have many years of training and teaching under my belt, things like draw time take a seat way back in the bleachers to my other interests.

And again we get to peek into the mentality behind your posts. Thank you for taking the time to explain your position and why. For the vast majority of ccwers on this and other gun boards, I'd not recommend they adopt the same mentality you possess. They haven't put the time in you have, nor for the number of years you have. We have to remember that when recommending such things as training.
    OD* and Bill801 like this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links