how often are you practicing drawing from a concealed holster?

This is a discussion on how often are you practicing drawing from a concealed holster? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; maybe not as much as you should? Ive made it a new years resolution to do it everyday for 5 mins. I pick an object ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: how often are you practicing drawing from a concealed holster?

maybe not as much as you should? Ive made it a new years resolution to do it everyday for 5 mins. I pick an object and draw on it and dry fire on the object. It helps with muscle memory.
    Macantic, BuckJM53 and Rhinoman like this.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Most every day along with some dry fire practice. I'm an old guy and need the daily work to stay in form.
    jkshelgore likes this.

I try to work in my draw stroke every morning once I dress on my days off.
    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; all others are condemned to it.

Pax Armis Acquiritur

G-43
    G-19 gen 4

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array SouthernBoyVA's Avatar
    Yes! You are doing really well with this. I don't know what style and force you use for your grip but assuming you use the traditional 2-hand semi-auto grip, make sure you apply more pressure with your support hand than you do with your shooting hand. You want something like a 60-40% grip with a strong, firm pressure... akin to a strong and hardy handshake. This method delivers a more stable grip on your handgun and significantly reduces the affect of pulling the trigger has on accuracy. You will find your accuracy improves almost right away with this technique.

Doing your draw and fire practice for just five minutes a day should return good muscle memory results within a month. Stay with it to solidify those results. And using a spot or object on a wall or door is the right thing to do, as well. I use a small Post-It note for my target when doing this. Before long, you should find that you can draw and fire in under one second. Best I've managed when doing this was .67 seconds. Of course, this is during practice drills. Still with live ammo, I can draw from concealment and get two rounds on target in under two seconds. I need to start trying this with three rounds in under two seconds.

Good for you. More people who carry should make it a point to do this.
    kmanick likes this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Big fan of hickok45. one of his "grip" videos (worth watching) says that when you pull your weapon from holster, your hand should already be where needed (high on the grip) -- no adjustments needed from drawing to shooting. This is probably common knowledge for most, but to consciously think of this when practicing drawing your firearm would help with muscle memory as well.

I don't practice near enough and need to get on it. Thanks for the reminder.
    "It's always good to be underestimated" - Donald Trump

Distinguished Member Array Doogie's Avatar
    wait....didn't I just see an article on why you should not touch your EDC gun so not to have an AD?
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids! C. Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    wait....didn't I just see an article on why you should not touch your EDC gun so not to have an AD?
    Well, I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume you don't practice drawing with a loaded weapon. Anyway, I don't practice a whole lot really. I know where my gun is and how long it takes to get it out. I also make it a point to not wear clothing that impedes my draw (winter is interesting, luckily our February has been in the 60s for a good portion of it). Though normally it just means I use a different setup unless I really really want to do OWB that day.

Not drawing unless it's life threatening, up close and personal.....so for me, defending the gun with the weak arm is a priority that I practice on the big bag while drawing is almost always automatic....4 Count Draw Stroke.

Pretty often but not every day. I focus most on trigger control and hitting what I am aiming at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Macantic likes this.

Muscle memory doesn't work for me, no muscles.
    Rotorflyr and paulinsf like this.

Distinguished Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Starting with the day I was issued a sidearm in 1973 until today it is 20 draw strokes every morning to include dry fire practice. I'm of an age now that it is out of necessity.
    Holmes375 likes this.

I go to my local range monthly and generally travel to at least 2 schools for 1 or 2 day courses per year. According to my spread sheet, I fired 6,350 rounds of 9mm last year and 2,420 5.56. Which really isn't very much for the whole year.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Distinguished Member Array Struckat's Avatar
    Every other day or so. But right now it's only weak side pocket draw as my broken right wrist heals.
    Looks like it will be functional eventually, then I will train every day until it's good.
    Holmes375 and Pijo73 like this.

Every day but, just for a short time.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Senior Member Array wizard7mm08's Avatar
    Occasionally if I leave my EDC on my person after getting home, I'll unload it and practice getting up and drawing, etc.

If I'm wearing something new (new shirt that may be a bit long/short) I practice some strokes until I'm comfortable. Just the other day I finally carried ONLY an LCP and practiced drawing from my inside jacket pocket and back pants pocket for a while before I took off for the day.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
    "Take off ya hoser!" - Bob & Doug McKenzie

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links