Question From a New New Member

This is a discussion on Question From a New New Member within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am waiting to receive my CHL lilcense. So what is your "general plan if confronted with a lethal force situation"?...

Thread: Question From a New New Member

I am waiting to receive my CHL lilcense. So what is your "general plan if confronted with a lethal force situation"?

Senior Moderator
    General plan is to take it one step at a time and respond accordingly, try to deescalate if applicable, use nonlethal force if available, defend myself if necessary.

Welcome to Defensive Carry.

Head the other way if possible. If not, defend myself as best I can then call a good attorney. Welcome to the forum.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Read books and forums on the subject. You will learn actual encounters people have had and get advice, most of it even good advice.

Practice, practice practice.

I just had a nap during which I dreamed about the subject. In the dream I was looking into a store and saw a guy suddenly walk up and slug someone several times and run out another door. My first thought was to chase. My second was when what I learned kicked in. I'm not a Cop. I have no authority. Much as I loath that sort of person my immersion in the topic kicked in and even in a dream I did the right thing. Kind of surprising really, but good.

Welcome to the board!
    First of course is to try to avoid lethal confrontation at all costs. I avoid "questionable" areas and people whenever possible. If unable to avoid,try to de escalate and/or get clear of the area. If not able to get out of the situation, use any means available to protect myself short of lethal force if possible. If no other option is left available to me apply what force is necessary to neutralize the threat. As soon as it is safe call 9-1-1.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    My advice is to read the TX laws for yourself, and not just the ones in the booklet they give you. It will help them become second nature for you. Besides that, keep cool, stay aware, and respond; don't react.

Welcome to the forums. There's a ton of info here.

CCW on my person everywhere it's not expressly forbidden by the conditions of my permit. Concealed means CONCEALED...as in, hopefully, no one except me ever has the need to know. Avoid, apologise, walk away, run away, run away & hide, do EVERYTHING in my power to prevent circumstances developing into my having no other reasonable choice to draw my handgun. At that point, confident that I have exhausted all other options, I am (even now) mentally prepared to protect myself & my family in the gravest extreme.

Welcome to the Forum!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Good place to ask that question.......actually it's a pretty giant question because of the many branches the answer could take. Lot's of good stuff to read here, and don't overlook the "stickies" at the top of the threads.

I read this quote on one of these forums somewhere. "Anytime you carry a gun in public you are walking on thin ice....as soon as you pull that gun, you've just started hopping on that thin ice".

For some quick advice I'd say to read, study, and/or buy a lethal force DVD, and other related info. Use patience, restraint and wisdom as you CCW. I remember a little booklet that came with my FLA CHL license, and it reminded me that the CHL doesn't make me a law enforcement officer or even a good samaritan. It doesn't authorize me to use that weapon, it only authorizes me to carry it concealed. The use of deadly force laws are already in place, and they vary somewhat from state to state. Be sure to read and clearly understand your applicable Texas laws.

Good luck and be careful by all means
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

my general self-defense plan

Welcome to the best firearms discussion forum on the Net.

0. I always have a firearm on me (or if I am in bed, within reach).

1. I don't go where I would expect to need a firearm for self-defense.

2. If I see a threat materializing at a distance, I depart the scene ASAP.

3. If someone, too close to escape from, outside my domicile were to point a firearm or a knife at me, I assume he will shoot or stab me. I would move, draw, and shoot; if he runs away or discards his weapon before I can line up and fire, I don't shoot. Otherwise, drawing and shooting are parts of a single action--I wouldn't display my firearm hoping the aggressor will back down, nor would I warn.

4. If someone were to intrude into my domicile, my state law allows me to assume he is a lethal threat. I shoot, period.

That's my general plan; I know it doesn't cover every possible situation, like if a dozen guys in wheelchairs armed with baseball bats attack me on the street, etc.

All the plans above that mention getting away from the "event" is best, learn from that advice..as my instructor once told me, "once you fire that round, it's not over, it's just begining for you!"

Distinguished Member
    +1 on ghost trackers advice. Welcome to the world of ccw.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Welcome to the best firearms discussion forum on the Net.

0. I always have a firearm on me (or if I am in bed, within reach).

1. I don't go where I would expect to need a firearm for self-defense.

2. If I see a threat materializing at a distance, I depart the scene ASAP.

3. If someone, too close to escape from, outside my domicile were to point a firearm or a knife at me, I assume he will shoot or stab me. I would move, draw, and shoot; if he runs away or discards his weapon before I can line up and fire, I don't shoot. Otherwise, drawing and shooting are parts of a single action--I wouldn't display my firearm hoping the aggressor will back down, nor would I warn.

4. If someone were to intrude into my domicile, my state law allows me to assume he is a lethal threat. I shoot, period.

That's my general plan; I know it doesn't cover every possible situation, like if a dozen guys in wheelchairs armed with baseball bats attack me on the street, etc.
    This is a pretty good start for advice...
    I would also take a self-defense pistol course...this will give you 8-20 hours of varied topics (safety, legal, and various types of shooting experience) and show you how to begin developing 'muscle memory' habits. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
    Author Unknown

You are legally, morally, ethically and financially responsible for the terminal resting place of every bullet you fire.
    Randy Cain
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

About the same as everyone else here. Don't go near it if I can help it, retreat if possible, de-escalate if need be. Even if all that fails a hand on a holstered gun is hopefully enough to end the situation, present it if that fails, shoot to center of mass until the threat is stopped if I have no other option while giving stern verbal commands to get away all the while.

edit: of course hand on the gun and presenting would only be an option in some situations. Warning the bad guy that you have a gun could cost you your life.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Sponsored Links