Sarasota Florida stupidity - Page 3

Sarasota Florida stupidity

This is a discussion on Sarasota Florida stupidity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AirForceShooter Witnesses said Rudolph cocked or "racked" the gun before setting it on the plastic tray his bill had arrived on. Employees ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Witnesses said Rudolph cocked or "racked" the gun before setting it on the plastic tray his bill had arrived on. Employees later found a bullet that fell to the floor.
    Why would he do this? Just moving the gun to get to his wallet doesn't require "racking!" Yes, displaying the gun was wrong. But what's up with the racking?
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    had to defend himself in the parking lot against multiple younger assailants, possibly armed, trying to rob/carjack/kill him just because he'd been drinking?
    Quote Originally Posted by glocksandkahrs
    had to defend himself in the parking lot against multiple younger assailants, possibly armed, trying to rob/carjack him just because he'd been drinking?
    Hmm... I KNEW that sounded familiar. I'll take using my words from my post on page one as a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    This will make it even harder to get carry in restraunts that serve alcohol in states that currently prohibit it. This is also why I would support a no carry while drinking law. Not everyone will use common sense when enjoying a drink or two.
    What the lawmakers don't understand is just because someone goes into an establishment that serves alcohol, doesn't mean he is going to drink. I can't carry into a steak joint because they have a bar.

I agree with you. No drink and carry, just like no drink and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    What the lawmakers don't understand is just because someone goes into an establishment that serves alcohol, doesn't mean he is going to drink. I can't carry into a steak joint because they have a bar.

I agree with you. No drink and carry, just like no drink and drive.
    Here in Georgia you can't carry into a restraunt that serves alcohol and, I believe, that's wrong. The law should be no CUI just like no DUI. However, there are some who would fight a law of that nature just because it's "anti" to them. We need to show the initiative and fight for gun friendly carry laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Here in Georgia you can't carry into a restraunt that serves alcohol and, I believe, that's wrong. The law should be no CUI just like no DUI. However, there are some who would fight a law of that nature just because it's "anti" to them. We need to show the initiative and fight for gun friendly carry laws.
    There are some that would fight that law based on the belief that they should not be forced to sacrifice there right to defend themselves just because they have been drinking.

I do not know if I am one of those of not, but I don't think one case is something to base a new law on.

Quote Originally Posted by glocksandkahrs View Post
    Hmm... I KNEW that sounded familiar. I'll take using my words from my post on page one as a compliment.
    Good, your post influenced my opinion greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by randy7601 View Post
    Why would he do this? Just moving the gun to get to his wallet doesn't require "racking!" Yes, displaying the gun was wrong. But what's up with the racking?

Would you take your gun out and not clear the round from the chamber?

Seems like a common safety practice to me.

Would you take your gun out and not clear the round from the chamber?

Seems like a common safety practice to me.
    No, not really. All he did was chamber another round... The article just said a .45 caliber pistol, but as an older man, I'd bet it was a 1911 of some sort. If it were, he'd be now holding a still loaded 1911 with the grip safety depressed and the thumb safety probably still off. After all, it has to be off to move the slide.

He shouldn't have taken it out at all and I can't possibly imagine a carry combination where I couldn't get my wallet out of my back pocket with a pistol in a holster.

There are some that would fight that law based on the belief that they should not be forced to sacrifice there right to defend themselves just because they have been drinking.

I do not know if I am one of those of not, but I don't think one case is something to base a new law on.
    Granted, however, after a few drinks judgement isn't what it should be. This isn't really the first alcohol related incident with firearms. Many are on record and have resulted in some of the laws currently in effect. Every right comes with an equally great responsibility and if everyone would live by those responsibilities there would be no need for laws. Unfortunately there are more than a few who don't or can't handle the responsibility on their own.

Member Array Detachment_Charlie's Avatar

Angry Stoooooopid

I hate to admit this, but I have a friend who is a lawyer. His biggest wish is for an additional plea for the usual guilty, not guilty and no contest choices. He wishes he could plead most of his clients STOOOOOPID.
    This guy deserves to have his CCW pulled.
    He brandished his weapon. That's a felony. Worse, he makes it all the more difficult for the rest of us who carry responsibly.
    Drinkin' & packin' is just like drinkin' & drivin'.
    Oh, and I don't expect too much knowledge of the law from the Sarasota County Sherrif's Dept.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

No, not really. All he did was chamber another round... The article just said a .45 caliber pistol, but as an older man, I'd bet it was a 1911 of some sort. If it were, he'd be now holding a still loaded 1911 with the grip safety depressed and the thumb safety probably still off. After all, it has to be off to move the slide.

He shouldn't have taken it out at all and I can't possibly imagine a carry combination where I couldn't get my wallet out of my back pocket with a pistol in a holster.

This is a news paper. If you where a news reporter wising to make a big deal out of pretty much nothing which would you report.

That the guy removed his weapon, dropped the mag into his pocket and cleared the chamber, or the guy pulled his weapon and racked the slide. We know the weapon already had a round chambered, because it was reported as being found on the floor. I can only conclude that he racked the slide to clear the weapon.

This is a news paper. If you where a news reporter wising to make a big deal out of pretty much nothing which would you report.

That the guy removed his weapon, dropped the mag into his pocket and cleared the chamber, or the guy pulled his weapon and racked the slide. We know the weapon already had a round chambered, because it was reported as being found on the floor. I can only conclude that he racked the slide to clear the weapon.
    And I can only conclude that it would have been safer (albeit stupid) had he just put the loaded pistol on the table and not performed any extra "actions". Instead, his actions rendered the pistol ready to fire regardless of having dropped the mag or not when he had a chambered weapon in hand (magazine disconnect aside. ).

And I can only conclude that it would have been safer (albeit stupid) had he just put the loaded pistol on the table and not performed any extra "actions". Instead, his actions rendered the pistol ready to fire regardless of having dropped the mag or not when he had a chambered weapon in hand (magazine disconnect aside. ).
    How was it ready to fire if he cleared the round from the chamber... as for being stupid, well that hard to dispute.

But I know that I personal, when making a weapon safe, remove the mag and cycle the slide to clear the round from the chamber. I do it every single day, and I know of no other way to make a weapon safe.

How was it ready to fire if he cleared the round from the chamber... as for being stupid, well that hard to dispute.

But I know that I personal, when making a weapon safe, remove the mag and cycle the slide to clear the round from the chamber. I do it every single day, and I know of no other way to make a weapon safe.
    But we don't KNOW if he removed the mag or not. My premise, since the guy's obviously stupid/reckless, is he didn't drop the mag...

Then why would he rack the slide?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links