Sarasota Florida stupidity - Page 4

Sarasota Florida stupidity

This is a discussion on Sarasota Florida stupidity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Deacon51 Then why would he rack the slide? Dunno... Maybe because he had been drinking? My point was that simply placing the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    Then why would he rack the slide?
    Dunno... Maybe because he had been drinking?

My point was that simply placing the pistol on the table would have been safer than clearing it. Don't hear many tales of a gun just "going off" by itself, but how many NDs have we heard about when someone is trying to clear/unload a weapon? Even pro-fesh-un-als like that DEA agent that ND'd himself in the foot with his Glock Fowty in a classroom full of children AFTER he thought he cleared it.

Lots of NDs have occurred because someone racked the slide THEN dropped the mag. Not saying that's what happened to the old man here, but it might have...

I can't say it was pretty much nothing. There is a big difference between carrying a gun into a restaurant or bar and pulling it out and racking the slide whether it was to clear or load it. If this had been a 25 year-old instestead of a 75 year-old would you feel the same? If I am a customer in there and someone starts playing with their gun my attitude toward them would sure change in a second. He might have been just getting his wallet but how was anyone to know that?

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    If I am a customer in there and someone starts playing with their gun my attitude toward them would sure change in a second. He might have been just getting his wallet but how was anyone to know that?
    That's pretty much how I feel. NOBODY should have their hand on their weapon, especially unholstered, in a non-hostile, public situation where no one is threatening anything. I don't even like it when I see cops standing in line or something and they rest their hand on their pistol.

Unless, of course, the venue is a gun shop/show, shooting range or some other "firearm related" situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    This will make it even harder to get carry in restraunts that serve alcohol in states that currently prohibit it. This is also why I would support a no carry while drinking law. Not everyone will use common sense when enjoying a drink or two.
    Well hell, not everyone who has a ccw permit uses common sense anyway, so why don't we just support a law that allows only those the sheriff deems necessary should have a ccw permit?

See where I'm going with this?

I believe what the guy in the original post was doing is called "brandishing a weapon", and every state in the country probably has specific laws in their "weapons offense" statutes that covers brandishing a weapon. And I would venture to say it is probably a jailable offense!

Why not just enforce the laws that are already on the books regarding what will get your permit revoked or about being drunk in public and not create any new restrictions to cover every conceivable special circumstance.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Totally a mark on the CCW community. Bound to happen from time to time, but none the less a very negative result. When hiring for Police, a few bad apples will smuggle their way in. This is just the same. Hope there are minimal brandishings in the future...
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Well hell, not everyone who has a ccw permit uses common sense anyway, so why don't we just support a law that allows only those the sheriff deems necessary should have a ccw permit?

See where I'm going with this?

I believe what the guy in the original post was doing is called "brandishing a weapon", and every state in the country probably has specific laws in their "weapons offense" statutes that covers brandishing a weapon. And I would venture to say it is probably a jailable offense!

Why not just enforce the laws that are already on the books regarding what will get your permit revoked or about being drunk in public and not create any new restrictions to cover every conceivable special circumstance.
    True, and many states have laws against carry in restraunts. Wouldn't you rather have a CUI law? All I'm really trying to say here is, if we support laws that are basicly what you should do anyway maybe we can head off some of the anti's "common sense" gun laws. Many of these laws are emotional in nature, a result of something happening. Let's support more friendly carry laws before hand and hold those who abuse the right liable.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links