Concealed Carry on Private Aircraft?

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry on Private Aircraft? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A pilot friend asked me if it was legal for him to carry a firearm with him on his plane. Hopefully, we have some pilots ...

Thread: Concealed Carry on Private Aircraft?

A pilot friend asked me if it was legal for him to carry a firearm with him on his plane. Hopefully, we have some pilots or other professionals who might know the answer. Seems to me that as long as it stays in his plane it would be legal. But, planes land and park in restricted areas of airports, so . . . Does anyone know?

Well, seeing as how they are now training commercial pilots and allowing them to carry, I don't see why not.

This post caught my eye. I am just about on my way out the door to head to Boeing Field, Seattle, to make a short hop to a rustic strip to drop off a couple of folks. Granted this strip is in the bush, there really isn't a need to worry about whether or not a firearm would be acceptable, in this case it may be necessary. But I feel that it is always necessary to have my USP 45 along for the ride. It can probably claim almost as many flight hours as me.
    In general aviation, pilots don't usually find themselves in TSA controlled environments. Rather, we find ourselves out on lonely air strips wondering where the fuel boy is and if the passengers are ever going to arrive. They are always late!!!
    Now common sense says if you do happen to fly into a TSA controlled airport like say, LAX, or any of the many class B and C airports in the country, and you have to go out of the controlled area, you're going to have to come back through to get home, so leave the pistol in the lock box in the flight deck.
    Generally you should never have an issue.
    Happy flying and shooting. :)

Yes it is legal, although private planes are a mode of conveyance and transport akin to cars and commercial trucks.

Same similar fed. transportation rules would apply there.
    At touchdown though state rules come into play and if he takes off from say VA and lands in Red China...err I mean MA then he'd have to adhere to said state rules & regs.
    Same thing applies to boats, trains, and other privately owned or charter conveyances and means of personal transport when traveling from state to state et. al.

The odds though of he being accosted and questioned at a regional or private airport are close to zero. There is no TSA involvement, yet, at such places toward private and charter aircraft (e.g. air taxis).

Info toward this your buddy should know he can find via the FAA and/or AOPA.

- Janq is not a pilot, yet
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

State laws apply first. Each air field can have their own rules. Each FBO can have their own rules - i.e. posted no carry. For part 91 of the FARs we GA (general aviation) pilots are not prohibited from carrying. If you fly under part 135 or other sections - then different rules apply. most charter & corporate still fall under GA - but a different section of the FARS other than part 91. So simply put - if he/she is not flying for hire - for the most part will be ok carrying. Remember - know the rules of your departing point/arriving point - just like driving. Not landing at a gun friendly state - peacable journey still applies - just lock up your ammo/firearm seperately. As far as TSA - I have never had to go into a secured area to access the general aviation ramp. It really does not matter what class B, C, D, etc. the field is. General aviation aircraft are typically not allowed in "secure" commercial aviation ramp areas - this is typically where they board passengers on airlines - so the general aviation area are not "policed" as is the commercial areas are. As stated earlier - every state is different. Municipal airports can be considered publically owned - so the buildings the respective municipality operates could fall under this vague off limits law in some states. Here is a wealth of info on flying with guns http://forums.aopa.org/search.php?searchid=1268495

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Well, seeing as how they are now training commercial pilots and allowing them to carry, I don't see why not.
    There are proposed laws (bills/resolutions) in the works. But I would not count on seeing these come to fruition. Same as any other gun law - afraid a lone pilot will snap one day and shoot a bunch people. The select few would have to submit to a psyc eval plus training to carry. Well they already under go psyc evals. And gee, if they want to kill a bunch of people why not just ram this plane into a building - they don't need a gun. But I am not the one making the big $$$$$$$$ to invent these scenerios to prevent airline pilots from carrying - which would prevent another 911 type event. jmo

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSniper View Post
    A pilot friend asked me if it was legal for him to carry a firearm with him on his plane. Hopefully, we have some pilots or other professionals who might know the answer. Seems to me that as long as it stays in his plane it would be legal. But, planes land and park in restricted areas of airports, so . . . Does anyone know?
    I have found nothing in the FAR that prohibits a pilot from carrying a gun while flying in a state where he can legally carry a gun normally.

I even spoke with a CFI about it once, and he asserted that there's no reason you can't. (I found out that day that a lot of pilots, apparently, are pro-gun.

I suppose that some of the legal issues will depend on where you go when you land the plane. I am mostly flying at small, class D or E airports, not C or B. It's not like I get out of the plane and enter an airport terminal or other "sterile area."

If I were ever ramp-checked, I certainly would not volunteer the information that I was carrying, though. And I also know not to let the inspector TOUCH my license card. If he asks to see it, you have to let him, but it's a case of "see with your eyes, not with your hands!"

Pilots have another issue besides homeland security. My Ruger SS Service Six .357 was part of my Dad's survival kit in his airplane. Primarily a bear gun when landing in the bush country. Don't leave home without it.

Your gun in your/a private private plane? You betcha'
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I fly out of class C, D & E - at the small Class E at the end of the of rwy 3 they have a shooting range. They shoot perpendicular and away from the rwy. Everytime I depart I wonder about a ricochet as it is only 30-40 yeards from the active. Only LE are allowed to shoot :-(

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Why? Because they never make mistakes? I wonder what the rationale is for that.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Why? Because they never make mistakes? I wonder what the rationale is for that.
    LE? I missed something - maybe I am just too sleepy.

VIP Member
    My guess as to the why is because it is a police range- and it is rare for those to be open to the public.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Sponsored Links