A Gun Is No Substitute For Brains

This is a discussion on A Gun Is No Substitute For Brains within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just last week, I was reminded of how glad I am that my wife is an alert, thinking person. Without her radar turned on, this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Gun Is No Substitute For Brains

Just last week, I was reminded of how glad I am that my wife is an alert, thinking person. Without her radar turned on, this could have gone very differently.

She is an ambulatory horse vet. That means she goes from farm to farm, treating thoroughbreds and farm horses alike. She can handle some on-site treatments, and that means she has a wide variety of pharmaceuticals in her work truck, including some Class II narcotics.
    She does not carry a gun. She isn't sure she could shoot someone, anyway, but beyond that, it just wouldn't sit well with a farm manager that happened to notice that the vet was carrying. I think it would be viewed as VERY unprofessional (these farm owners are sheiks and other assorted royalty from Scotland to Dubai), and would spoil the 'pristine' atmosphere of a thoroughbred farm.

I should point out that my wife is no wimp. She's a Kentucky farm girl that can throw a 200lb foal up on a table by herself. She's tall and thick, so she's not easily intimidated. She joined my Muay Thai classes about three years ago, so in addition to being strong, she can THROW DOWN! I have no worries about her in a physical confrontation with an ordinary adversary. And guys, unless you're a trained fighter, she'd take YOU, too. Anyway...

She was called out on an emergency last night. The farm in question is a huge thoroughbred farm near us, and she knows pretty much every hand there. Last night, she was met by the farm manager and a very reliable stable hand that we all trust very much (his family immigrated here from Juarez, Mexico about ten years ago, and my wife feels very safe when he is around. This bears mentioning because many of the hands are illegal immigrants and some are VERY sketchy).

Anyway, while treating a lacerated leg, my wife heard two voices outside the barn, and estimated they had to be standing near her truck. Though the drugs I mentioned before are in a strongbox, it wouldn't be too much trouble to steal the whole box, so she keeps alert with regard to things happening around her truck. My greatest fear is that she encounters someone WHILE they are breaking in. I don't care about the truck or the stuff inside, I just want to be sure she comes home alive.

OK, so she quietly stepped over to the opening in the wall where the horse can look out of it's stall. She overheard two male voices arguing in whispers, one saying 'just break the window'. At this point, she was alone in the stall, but had the presence of mind to shout

"Hey, Brad. Can you take two of the guys out to my truck and get the X-Ray machine, please." In case you didn't make the leap yourself, there is no 'Brad'. She then exited the stall and slammed the bathroom door, making it SOUND like more than one person was on the way outside. By that time, Philippe (the aforementioned hand), having heard the commotion my wife made, came out of the nearby office where he was measuring medicines and asked what was going on. She told him that she thought there was somebody outside trying to steal stuff from her truck. He grabbed a pitchfork and ran outside, but whoever it was had high-tailed it outta' there. He found a screwdriver wedged in the rear door of her truck. Later, these two scumbags were caught by farm security in another area of the farm, having broken in and appropriated some expensive supplies. They were two local farm boys that apparently both have extensive records, one of them violent.

I'm not sure things would have gone OK if my wife had, emboldened by carrying a gun, gone to confront these two. They may have tried to overpower her anyway. At the very least, somebody would have ended up shot. I will never force her to get a concealed carry license, nor will I expect her to carry if she cannot be reasonably expected to use the gun. More importantly, I'm not sure I would suggest she handle things any differently, even if she HAD been armed.

Just goes to show that you can never substitute confidence for awareness. Just because you're carrying doesn't mean you can become less diligent, in fact, it implies a greater responsibility to be aware.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Scot Van; September 12th, 2007 at 11:42 AM.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Sounds like she is a very smart person. I think that even if armed, she would take the same course of action. I know that for me, the firearm does no embolden me, or make me think I'm superman.

VIP Member
    Maybe she should carry a gun! Her life is more important than 2 low lifes.

What could have happened had she not heard them & walked out to get something from the truck while these miscreants were about their nefarious deeds?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    Interesting Scot and proof yet again - ''anytime - anywhere''.

I'd say your wife (certainly in retrospect) did just about the best thing possible. It would have been useful if she had been armed in case there had been a continuance of trouble and escalation of course.

Just goes to show tho - we do need that con yellow pretty much at all times.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quick thinking girl. Glad she didn't stumble upon them...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Lead Moderator
    She did very well. Good call to, if she doesn't feel she can use a gun for defense, don't make her get 1.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Maybe she should carry a gun! Her life is more important than 2 low lifes.

What could have happened had she not heard them & walked out to get something from the truck while these miscreants were about their nefarious deeds?
    Did you read the original post? That isn't an option in her line of work, and moreover, she probably wouldn't use it. Stupid to bring a gun into the situation if she won't use it.

The only alternative is another line of work. Try telling THAT to someone who spent 8 years in college getting an MD.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

A brain is the first requirement, for surviving a day outside one's front door. Having that brain switched "on" is the second requirement. Far down the list come actual man-made tools such as a cell phone, paper/pencil, knife, firearm. The lady in the story sounds pretty bright. Obviously she can take care of herself.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Did you read the original post? That isn't an option in her line of work, and moreover, she probably wouldn't use it. Stupid to bring a gun into the situation if she won't use it.
    I disagree. Just because she is armed doesn't mean she has to use it. I think she handled the situation very well, but there is no harm in having an ultimate fall-back position. In this case, being armed would not have affected the outcome of the situation other than providing a last resort line of defense if things turned ugly.

As far as her line of work, deep concealment sounds like the answer. I'm not a fan of making house-calls (whether it's delivering pizza, packages, or services) unarmed. You simply cannot predict your surroundings, as your story illustrates.

With all that said, if she is opposed to the idea of carrying a gun, it really would be useless. But, it sounds to me like she's got the right mindset. It's just a matter of realizing that bad situations can develop unexpectedly and rapidly, and some cannot be handled by scaring the BG.

You've got one smart woman there!

PS: What caliber are the tines on the pitch fork

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like she has the best defense equipment between her ears already.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Lead Moderator
    Carrying a gun you are unwilling/able to use is a bad idea. If you do not , others may use it against you. The same goes for any other weapon.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Carrying a gun you are willing/able to use is a bad idea. If you do not , others may use it against you. The same goes for any other weapon.
    Obviously, you mean NOT willing/able, Rock. True enough!

It is pretty clear that she's smart...look who she married!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    It is pretty clear that she's smart...look who she married!

A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

If she is unwilling to carry, that is definitely a personal choice. Would she consider one of the "Tasers" that are designed for large animals (such as the red ones used on large farm animals)? A Taser is definitely no subsitute for a firearm and has limitations, however it will drop 99.9% of people (especially the "Red" line designed for animals). These could easily be justified by a "Vet" as necessary when handling large and possibly aggressive animals.
    Good Luck
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links