What Percentage CCW in a public place?

This is a discussion on What Percentage CCW in a public place? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man, I couldn't come up with a better subject line than that, somehow. Here is the question: When in Wally World, or a CVS Pharmacy, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Man, I couldn't come up with a better subject line than that, somehow.

Here is the question: When in Wally World, or a CVS Pharmacy, or a grocery store, for instance, what percentage of the other visitors and shoppers are carrying? On a busy pedestrian street, what percentage are carrying?

Some places I go it seems likely that the number of handguns coming in the door greatly exceeds the number of carry-permits and might roughly equal the number of baggy pants and knee-length tee-shirts.

But in regular, "polite society", out of 100 persons around you, how many men and women are card-carrying packers?

really curious.........Cannon

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I think the answer would depend on the state you're in.
    Here in Florida I would guess maybe 10 out of a hundred are armed.
    In my former place of survival , New York City, possibly one in a thousand.
    But it's all a guess.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Assistant Administrator
    I can only base my assessment on state CCW uptake - which is currently in region of 6.75% IIRC. It will also I am sure be very regional with some areas being distictly higher than others.

Total ball park here but if I am at WM, a Friday stock car meeting - or some other situation with crowds, I'll halve the percent and say probably 3 in 100 is carrying on average.

On a given day tho - we might also be alone as CCW in a store and yet by chance 2 hours later one of several. The good ones, naturally, are not evident
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think the average number of folks that obtain a ccw when available by law is around 3%. I would guess 1/2 of them (just to pull a number out of my -uhh, head) carry at any given point (figuring that many can't while working, and some just don't). But then add back some for those that carry without a ccw.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    In Virginia, only 140,000 people have permits. Out of that number I would guess only about 1/3 carry regularly.

Where you go will have a further effect on the number that carry. A lot of people who carry may only carry somewhere that they 'might need a gun'.

As to Walmart's, I bet more carry there than most other stores. Compared to say, a Nordstrom's I would think the Wally World shoppers are better armed.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I had this very conversation with a Deputy U.S. Marshall friend of mine as we scanned over a crowd of 800+ at a Social Event in an Atlanta Hotel Ballroom. He guessed about 50 folks were armed...then he smiled at me & said "but I know of at least two FOR SURE".
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    He he he.. When I go to work, 100 percent of my department coworkers carry. A good 10 to 20 percent of the shooters and gun purchasers are permit holders. Whether they carry all the time or not is beyond me, but I wish they would.

When we go to the mall, we make a point of trying to pick up on people who may be carrying a gun. It's disheartening to see that most of the time we can't even pick out ONE person carrying (other than each other of course). I wish that were different, but it's not.

Lead Moderator
    Yeah. Lots of permit holders, but not alot seem to carry. As for the baggy pant crowd, most of em are either wanna be criminals , some petty criminals or just looking to emulate fashion trends.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    He he he.. When I go to work, 100 percent of my department coworkers carry. A good 10 to 20 percent of the shooters and gun purchasers are permit holders. Whether they carry all the time or not is beyond me, but I wish they would.

When we go to the mall, we make a point of trying to pick up on people who may be carrying a gun. It's disheartening to see that most of the time we can't even pick out ONE person carrying (other than each other of course). I wish that were different, but it's not.
    When I go to the mall (seldom) most people I see are in
    condition white.
    But if I had to guess 1 out of 50.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Hey Limatunes,
    What makes you think you can "pick-up" people carrying CCW? Isn't the whole point of "concealed" mean being...uh, well, concealed? If the pistol packers can't be spotted at the Mall it shouldn't dishearten you. We're just fulfilling the requirement of our permit!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I suppose the published state percentages are about as close of an approximation as you're likely to get. Not all citizens will carry in a given space, but added to that number will be many criminals or folks carrying without official permission. So, give or take, it's probably a decent estimate of the maximum. In a state where there's a 1% issuance for concealed carry, I would think that (on a good day) half that number might be carrying.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I'm puzzled by that statement. I carry a Kahr 9mm IWB at 4:00 all the time and I'll bet you can't tell. With clothing syles today, such as shirts untucked, loose fitting jeans, etc., it's pretty easy to conceal without printing.

When I participated in the mandatory training for my CCW here in NM, the instructor stated we were in the town, the county, and the state w/ the highest gun ownership percentage in the nation. Based on what I saw in that class, I surmized everyone with a diesel pickup was packing.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by silver dollar View Post
    I'm puzzled by that statement. I carry a Kahr 9mm IWB at 4:00 all the time and I'll bet you can't tell. With clothing syles today, such as shirts untucked, loose fitting jeans, etc., it's pretty easy to conceal without printing.
    But ALSO with today's styles of reveal, reveal, reveal, and shirts tucked in so tight one can't even leave their gut to the imagination, let me tell you, there's NO way some people are concealing.

Last time we were at the mall we sat there for well over an hour, assessing almost every single person we could see. There was ONE guy we questioned as to weather he was carrying a gun under a coat he was wearing. After another ten minutes of close observation he took off the coat to reveal absolutely nothing.

Unless they are carrying in their purses, 99% of the girls out there are wearing shirts so tight you can see the dimple in their shirt where their belly-button should be.

Even people who are wearing looser, fitting clothes are careless about it. If you watch them long enough you'll see them reach for something, bend over, readjust their clothing and you'll see nothing even remotely bordering on a gun. People in suits take their jackets off and underneath is nothing but a SEVERELY tucked in shirt that couldn't conceal a dime.

In my job I see a lot of carry methods.. Heck, half the time I'm the one recommending the carry method chosen. I see all the tricks to conceal on all sorts of body types. I see people walk into our shop who might as well be wearing a shirt with an arrow pointing to their guns. I see some people who are concealing better and you really couldn't tell until they either disarm or go into our range, but I guarantee that if one were watching them closely when they think that no one is watching they would give it away in one way or another.

I'm no different. I think if someone watched me very closely for any length of time and I wasn't aware of prying eyes, eventually you'd get a glimpse of something, either my holster, my spare mag, perhaps a flash of the grip, maybe an unconscious readjustment to my belt or a bulge when I bent over for something. Maybe the bottom of my holster while I reached for something.

The fact of the matter is that people aren't watching ANYONE as closely as we think they are. Even people who look suspicious, your general individual won't even THINK to scan for bulges and possible signs of a weapon. They just don't think like that.

When my husband and I "people" watch for weapons, we are looking everywhere, assessing every possible concealment place, watching for that ONE moment when someone will slip up and reveal if there is even a question.

There was a guy we were SURE was carrying a gun under a denim shirt. There was a slight bulge under the left side of his shirt but one EVER so slight and only when he was bending over or sitting. He seemed very conscious about keeping his shirt down, too.

We watched him for almost twenty minutes and.. well-ah.. he bent over to pick up what looked like his grand-child and it was a cell phone.

Perfect concealment is not necessarily made by the kind of clothes one will wear and how careful he is with his gun. Part of perfect concealment is the fact that 99.9999% of the people out there aren't paying attention to him enough to LOOK or NOTICE he's carrying. Perfect concealment is obtainable only because people don't care.

Sure there are probably a few out there that we may have passed right over, and good for them, but VERY few.

Limatunes

I use a SmartCarry and my wife can not tell even when I tell her that I,m packing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links