Some people...

This is a discussion on Some people... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rocky perhaps a good pistol course would help him alot. I was just thinking the same thing! He lives in Kingwood, Texas, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some people...

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    perhaps a good pistol course would help him alot.
    I was just thinking the same thing! He lives in Kingwood, Texas, can anybody recommend a good teacher near there?

I think he might respond to some good coaching, maybe force on force later on... he once told me, while we were talking about tueller drills etc that he could draw in about a second! I asked him how he timed himself and he replied he counted 1001 in his head So a class might introduce a little reality.
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
    William of Ockham (ca. 1285-1349)

2. Remove Ads

It is funny that you all mention the Tueller Drill. I just returned from the Lethal Force Institute and completed LFI-1 where we completed the Tueller drill. The results were amazing. The most amazing was Bill, one of our instructors who had the following stats.

Weight: 188
    Height: 5'11"
    Footwear: sneakers
    Ground Surface: Sandy Pavement
    Existing Injuries: 2 artifcial hips, 2 artificial knees, hyperextended ach.
    Tueller Time (7 yds) 2.4 secs

Show your friend that. Bill had leg surgery just 3 months prior to this class. This is what has made Tueller so important in self defense cases where a lawyer states "Well he just had a knife, and you.....SHOT HIM?"
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"
    Ruger 10/22 .22
    Smith and Wesson 642 .38 +P

Re: " 22 can kill you just as dead..."

You might explain that in a self defense situation, you aren't shooting to kill the person, you're shooting to STOP the person, RIGHT NOW. It doesn't matter if he dies of internal hemmoraging 2 days from now if he beats you to death in the next 5 minutes.
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

Well, you could always tell him that the .22 is a great idea.......as long as he buys a Sig 210, and a couple of P7's, maybe even a complete P7K3 set since he's fond of .380 also, and bequeathes them to you.....

Hopefully, he'll have an epiphany; or just never "need it". :chairshot

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I think what we're really talking about is reliability.

I have a Ruger 22/45 that has gone +4,500 rounds without a stoppage. And I shoot it better than any other gun I have.

I wouldn't feel that naked facing a felon with my 22/45. But it would have to my automatic pistol.

My pistol is accurate and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRavens
    oh, and he also sometimes carries with an empty mag inthe gun, but a loaded one in his pocket...

I think this says it all....
    Stops Jihad on Contact

Old thread but I had to jump in. He could carry a hammer and it would be almost as useful, could even be carried in Mao-tse-chusetts or D.C. and a jury wouldn't be so inclined to prosecute him. LOL!!!

What a waste - the Glock19 is my FAVORITE handgun of all time for CCW. How about carrying a full mag but empty chamber? At least he'd save the time needed to drop an empty mag and insert a loaded one.

jAK-47

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRavens

Argument 2 was over caliber: he bought a Sig2009 (becuase Jason Bourne uses one in the Mat daemon flick...) but then he stars ssaying he wants 22 because his sig is too big, so I tell him 380 is the minimum for CCW and what about the khar K9 etc etc, his response is that 22 can kill you just as dead...
    Although I can't find the specific article (Calling all Research Rangers!), there is an excellent article somewhere on the FBI/Bank Robber shoot-out in Florida several years ago. The incident resulted in the FBI re-thinking calibers and ballistics and issuing an exhaustive report. It was based on the detailed "After Action" reports and post-mortems on the several victims. A "very good read" for your friend! Good luck!

Senior Moderator
    he bought a Sig2009 (becuase Jason Bourne uses one in the Mat daemon flick...
    Since your friend seems so impressionable, try a diffeent tactic on him...

tell him that many police depts.(my own included) require no less than a .38 special for a backup gun.

This was determine by studying actual shoots in which smallers calibers were less effective.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    What the heck ill chime inn too, just suggest that your friend get a nice shiney ccw badge to go with his .22 that should fix all the ills in the free world LOL

Although I can't find the specific article (Calling all Research Rangers!), there is an excellent article somewhere on the FBI/Bank Robber shoot-out in Florida several years ago. The incident resulted in the FBI re-thinking calibers and ballistics and issuing an exhaustive report. It was based on the detailed "After Action" reports and post-mortems on the several victims. A "very good read" for your friend! Good luck!
    I found the page where these documents are found on the FBI website:

http://foia.fbi.gov/foiaindex/shooting.htm

I hope I did the link correctly.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    imho the fbi study was somewhat flawed ( the human factor, and fbi policys in place at the time weighed heavyer than any supposed ammo failure in that little dustup ) but its about all we have to go on other than Evan Marshall's work doccumenting actual shootings ( tho with a somewhat flawed criteria ) , and they do coincide on some points. Marshall has a board at www.stoppingpower.net if anyone wants to peek in there ( i strongly suggest all that do read the editorial titled dangers of intervention if they do go over ) and no i am not a member over there at this point lol .

I decided it would be improper for a "newbie" as myself to offer up my "sage" advice. And I certainly don't want to flame the guy, after all, he does have a point!

And if he wears a hat, nobody will notice it. . .

Might want to get him a copy of "Welcome to the Real Word," its a good one for opening the eyes of those who'd rather not see. (If you can get him to actually read it.)

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

quoting Bud "Theres not a lot you can do about it some people just dont want to listen"
    in my opinion that says a lot about yer friend.

all that has been said in previous posts speaks volumes.
    38 minimum.
    oh & why carry and empty mag in the gun? no sense there at all.
    just carry the thing empty so when he hasta throw it at his assailant its just a shaped rock.
    carrying an empty mag is STUPID.
    sorry to slam a friend of yers but its true.
    i'll tell it like it is.
    no intent to offend but its the truth.
    he shouldn't carry if he's gonna go about it like that.

brutally honest...he sounds like he's not somebody yer gonna convince to do it properly and maybe its for the best cuz he may not have the intestinal fortitude to go thru what it would take to actually pull the trigger on somebody.
    the term "poser" comes to mind, and i see no one on this forum that i would say that about.
    everyone here seems dedicted to there family & thereselves safety....foremost.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY
    everyone here seems dedicted to there family & thereselves safety....foremost.
    Absolutely! This guy is putting his loved ones at risk, also. He's just a sheep waiting to be slaughtered.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links