Attempted robbery on me, dissapointed in myself

This is a discussion on Attempted robbery on me, dissapointed in myself within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I haven't been posting much lately, shame on me and my crazy work hours. But I thought I'd share my eventful morning with you. ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

So I haven't been posting much lately, shame on me and my crazy work hours. But I thought I'd share my eventful morning with you.

I got out of work a few hours early tonight, and decide to drive though town on my way home. On my way out of town I decide to stop at one of the 24 hr gas stations to grab something to drink. This gas station isn't in the best part of town exactly, but I've never had any problem before. Park next to the building where the parking spots are stupidly placed and the window into the station is blocked with advertisements- its pretty much a blind spot. Anyway, I go into the station, grab a quart of chocolate milk, go to the atm and get $20, pay for it, then walk out. Soon as I round the corner of the building theres a guy there, about 5'10" and thin as a rail, holding a knife and he says 'Come here, I want that'. I instinctively cold cocked the dirtbag with every ounce of strength I had, right in the nose with an open palm. I never knew I had that kind of force in me, I could feel the bones breaking in his face. Dirtbag fell down for a second and kind of staggered to his feet and ran off, by then I had my gun in my right hand. Holstered up and went into the station, told the attendant what happened and she called the cops. Cops got there, I identified as having CCW, gave him my ID and he requested to see my ccl, he just kind of nodded that off. I described everything that happened, and the dirtbag, and the cop said that theres been a few robberies of the same sort in the are this week. Said my description matched the other description they got and pretty much told me they'd keep an eye out.

Why am I dissapointed in myself then, if everything turned out OK? I had went over this exact scenerio about a million times in my head, and done drills to prepare myself for it. I had my folding knife in my pocket, and my p229 was right where it always was, yet when push came to shove, I didn't really use my brain, I just did what my first thought was. I almost feel like I've been carrying and taking my own defense seriously for the past year for a whole lot of nothing.

Hey smooth. I wouldn't be hard on myself at all. You used enough force to stop the attack. You were not a victim, and you were not hurt. Had he of come back after you punched him, I'm sure you would have escalted your self defense to the next level.
    CW

If he was that close to you with a knife and you walked away uninjured, I'd say you did everything right! You reacted in a fast and effective action and put him down. I'd say you did good. I bet you keep a sharper eye out at night now too!

It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback but no body else was there but you. A quick reaction like that beats cowering and handing over the goods any day. At that range I'd say better a blow like that and then a draw anyways. In a situation like that thinking is out the window for the first split second and reactions are going to rule. You reacted and won, good for you.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

You did good, no two ways about it. Only thing better would have been a few follow throughs when he was staggered so the scumbag couldn't run off.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Mindset is just as much a part of personal defence as knowledge of the law and competence in your abilities with your sidearm.

With the info provided it sounds like handled the situation fairly well. Yes....you were within you right to draw before you threw the punch I think (I dunno MI law), BG displayed/brandished a knife, voiced his intent, and had taken the opportunity to act on it.

You, taken by surprise, acted quickly dilivering a solid punch....thereby providing distance (in a fight distance is life) and the means to bring your sidearm to bare. OK.......you didn't park in the best spot, much less stop in the best part of town....a situational awarness issue you already identified. You know now how you will react and have already critiqued those actions it sounds like.......your actions were acted upon when the "fight or flight" went through your head and you showed good judgement by reporting the incident.

Not to bad IMO. Overall you made it home......and have the time/opportunity to review the incedent and 'decompress'.....and that's what's important.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Chances are that if you would have gone for your weapon you'd gotten cut pretty bad. I'd surprise was your best weapon in a situation like that, especially at that range and with a knife already in play. You did an awesome job! My suggestion is to be thrilled that you hurt that dirt bag bad! Just think every time he blows his nose for quite some time he'll be remembering you! Plus you've made it easier for the cops to I'd this scum! I'd say gerat job!

Your reaction is quite typical for a contact confrontation. When suprised with an "In your face" event, the normal first reaction is often a hand strike. Sometimes our first reaction to such an event is the best one. You came out miles ahead not having to use deadly force. You were also fortunate the attacker was not better at his chosen profession. Going toe to toe with an assailant with a knife usually results in a blood letting. Use the event as a learning experience and do not repeat the lapeses that led to the event.
    Congratulations on surviving the event!
    str1

Gun, OC, knife, fist...whatever...when confronted, and if possible, react quickly and violently...you DID...well done!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I think you were reasonable. In fact I think your training assessed and addressed the scenario pretty well. You delivered a quick and effective response that stopped the crime, you weren't injured, AND you don't have to deal with the hassles of a shooting.

The last thing we really want to do is shoot and kill someone. Hopefully the legal system will implement an effective punishment so that this guy can contemplate the wisdom of criminal behavior for quite a few years.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    ANY day that you walk away not shooting anyone and not injured, including a dirtbag, is a good day. You did a good job
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member
    Good for you.

I'd say your survival instincts went on automatic. The BG was apparently close to you with a knife. Had he detected the effort and extra time of you reaching for a weapon, he may have stuck you. You didn't give him that opportunity!

Stay away from bad parts of town at night, and register your hands with the police..........you're a deadly weapon.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Never been in a similar situation, so I am not one to judge. But, having said that, I think your only mistake is the one you are now making, that is being hard on yourself. You were accosted with threat of bodily harm, dealt with the threat successfully and the LEOs afterward, and are still buzzing around free with no threat of a lawsuit on the horizon! What more can one ask?!
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

Never underestimate a palm strike. As your BG discovered they are very powerfull. Good job staying quick on your feet. I'd say you did the right thing in this situation. Had the BG been able to fight on, you got to your weapon quick enough to handle it.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

I would say you handled it perfectly. You were able to neutralize the attacker without having to worry about hiring a lawyer, you weren't injured other than your hand hurting and no one got killed. My opinion is my gun is my last line of defense.

Empty hands can be a good option...good going!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links