Utah non-res ap processing

This is a discussion on Utah non-res ap processing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; May 11. That's when my completed application was received in Utah. wait....wait....wait... tick...tick...tick Time passes. Their website acknowledges a backlog, expresses a desire for patience, ...

Thread: Utah non-res ap processing

Utah non-res ap processing

May 11. That's when my completed application was received in Utah.

wait....wait....wait... tick...tick...tick Time passes.

Their website acknowledges a backlog, expresses a desire for patience, and lets the viewer know how close they are to processing based on the date of the applicant's cancelled check or charge to the credit card. Outtastaters like me are rightfully low on the totem poll.

They are showing:

"Concealed Weapon Permit Application Processing:

Utah residents who are applying for the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit are now a top priority for processing.

We are currently processing concealed permit application for Utah residents received on June 2, 2007.

We are currently processing concealed permit applications for out-of-state residents received on April 23, 2007

The date of your cancelled check or credit on your credit card indicates what day we received your permit application. Please be aware that we are also backlogged on receipting the applications.

Please be patient while we catch up on our backlog."

So imagine my joy when on September 11 I receive my manilla envelope from the Utah BCI! Waitaminute! No.... It's a letter from them indicating that my prints were not able to be processed and to have a new set taken and returned to them!

Great.

Is this a coincidence? The prints I had for another non-res CCW permit from another state went through the same rejection! The first set were taken at a CCW course only to be returned, and the re-prints were then taken by my local staties. Now this one to Utah, taken by the same staties, is being rejected! I'm now wondering how many of us CCW applicants have to get re-takes on the prints??? I'm also wondering how often LEOs have to retake prints on their perps and such...

Well, back to the staties go I. Got reprinted. They're scratching their heads wondering why the first set (now in their hands) was rejected. We BS some and I am on my way to the USPS office to drop the retakes in the mail.

wait....wait....wait... tick...tick...tick..........
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

2. Remove Ads

That's not a good sign. My app went in 2 weeks after yours, but local PD took my prints. Keeping my fingers crossed...
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    If I am not mistaken, the prints are submitted to the FBI for a check and they are the ones that accept/reject them. I believe they can only reject twice, and must accept the third set.

But don't quote me on that. This came up in a discussion here before, and a couple of other members had said that.

Hope you get processed soon.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

It would appear that the dates appearing on the Utah BCI site don't correspond quite exactly. When they say that they're processing April 23, and they've worked on yours already, it would seem like they're doing slightly better than advertised. I suppose that's good news for those in the queue.

pmt
    Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post

...We are currently processing concealed permit applications for out-of-state residents received on April 23, 2007
    wait....wait....wait... tick...tick...tick..........
    hmmm.....they received my app the first of May, and I received my permit end of August.

<<< look at my location.
    USP9 CUSTOM SPORT (X2)
    HK34FTCB
    P7PSP
    Left handed compliment:
    "...if one is going to carry an underpowered pistol he should carry the neatest and handiest one available, and that is the Heckler & Koch P7."- Col. Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by pmt View Post
    hmmm.....they received my app the first of May, and I received my permit end of August.

<<< look at my location.
    They felt sorry for you????

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Sorry that you're having the delay. When I applied for my Utah Nonresident permit in Late february 2006, it only took 30 days. In fact, I applied for my Nevada resident permit in person, and mailed my Florida and Utah applications the same day. Utah's arrived first, in 30 days, Florida came 2nd, at 60 days, and Nevada came in last, at 90 days. It was weird being able to carry in over 30 states before I could carry in my home state. Then again, I can't really complain, as it will sometimes take my county longer than the 120 days allowed by state law.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeacon View Post
    It would appear that the dates appearing on the Utah BCI site don't correspond quite exactly. When they say that they're processing April 23, and they've worked on yours already, it would seem like they're doing slightly better than advertised. I suppose that's good news for those in the queue.
    This doesn't necessarily follow. The finger print work is not something that BCI does. They send the print card and other info to the FBI for their background check. Until they get a response from the feds they do no processing on the request. The background check is usually back within 2 to 3 weeks. This material is then put together with the materials that you sent.

In reality there is some work done on the app within a day or two of arrival. It is opened, the check deposited, and the print card mailed to the FBI. The rest of the material is then put in a pending area. When the FBI check comes back some work is done again. If the check comes back approved it is put in the pending file and the file is put in the ready to process area. If it comes back disapproved, the appropriate action is taken. As in this case the applicant was informed that the print card was not acceptable. When the replacement print card is received it will be sent to the FBI. Depending on how processing is going sending the prints may not slow down the overall process if the FBI gets the results back to BCI before the date the applicant's check was cashed starts to process.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

It's a looong wait

Right now Utah is processing more non-res, than res permits. I sent my app in around April 29...just got the permit about 2 weeks ago. You can check their website it says what month and day they are on.
    Ray

كافر, and proud of it

European American, and proud of it

Member of the NRA, and proud of it

Be courteous, be polite, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

pmt
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    ..... Until they get a response from the feds they do no processing on the request. The background check is usually back within 2 to 3 weeks. This material is then put together with the materials that you sent.
    Actually, I got a letter with my permit that states
    .."this permit is valid contingent on a satisfactory criminal history report being received from the FBI. You will be notified if the fingerprints are rejected, or a revocation if the FBI criminal history report contains information of a disqualifying nature."

So I guess my permit is good unless I receive another letter.

In response to another poster, yes they have an usually larger number of non-res apps. I believe a large number of those are from Canada, from as far back as November 2006.
    USP9 CUSTOM SPORT (X2)
    HK34FTCB
    P7PSP
    Left handed compliment:
    "...if one is going to carry an underpowered pistol he should carry the neatest and handiest one available, and that is the Heckler & Koch P7."- Col. Jeff Cooper

It took about 100 days to get my non res and it took my buddy 120 days. I sent mine in at the first of the year he sent his in a few months later. His took longer because they started giving priority to resident permets over non resident permits. They did this after the mall shooting they had there.

All the extra Permits from out of state has really backed us up on residents. It is a good idea to give our residents preference in my opinion. I know a few people who are waiting for residential license now.
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmt View Post
    Actually, I got a letter with my permit that states
    .."this permit is valid contingent on a satisfactory criminal history report being received from the FBI. You will be notified if the fingerprints are rejected, or a revocation if the FBI criminal history report contains information of a disqualifying nature."

So I guess my permit is good unless I receive another letter.

In response to another poster, yes they have an usually larger number of non-res apps. I believe a large number of those are from Canada, from as far back as November 2006.
    Mine said the same thing, but since I got mine the Utah processing has slowed down. I got my in May 2006 and shortly after that the website said that Utah had not increase their funding to help them keep up with the increased volume of requests and that processing would be slowing down. Mine was processed in and returned in 63 days. I imagine that they bundle the fingerprint cards and send them out maybe once per week. Evidently there were times when the FBI report came back after the permit was issued, but with the present back log it is not happening like that. The ones from Canada may take longer for the FBI and the letter like yours may still be issued even though it takes longer for Utah to do their work.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

(Non-resident - Sent via USPS Priority Mail 03/10/07 Received 07/26/07)

Links