Traffic stop

This is a discussion on Traffic stop within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Haven't been around in a while, but i had a LEO encounter a couple of days ago which is worth telling you about. I was ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traffic stop

Formerly OKC, OK; Currently Karlsruhe, Germany

Traffic stop

Haven't been around in a while, but i had a LEO encounter a couple of days ago which is worth telling you about.

I was driving in my car, approaching a red traffic light. This traffic light is right in front of my apartment and i pass it at least once a day. There are two lanes going straight and one lane for going left, eventually leading to a highway. Usually the straight lanes and the left lane will get a green light, the opposite traffic still has red. After a minute or so, the left lane turns red and the oncoming traffic will get the green light.

So a couple of nights ago i was sitting there at the red light. Well, i see the lights turn green, hit the gas and turn left when i realized that the oncoming traffic is going my way and that i am blocking the lane. Turns out that they changed the traffic light this day and that i basically run a red light. Well, since i already was in the middle of the intersection, i decided to go ahead and clear the lanes. At least the other drivers were smart enough to compensate my stupidity and avoided an accident.

I couple of seconds later, i saw red and blues lighting up behind me. Turns out one of the cars i blocked, was a cruiser.

I pulled over, turned the engine off, lowered the window, turned on the dome light and left my hand on the steering wheel.

Officer: "Good evening Sir, how are you tonight?"
    Me: "Doing good, how about you Sir?"
    Officer: "Doing fine, thanks. You know what i stopped you for?"
    Me: "Because of my dumb action at the stoplight i guess?"
    Officer: "Exactly. You know i have to give you a ticket for that, right?"
    Me: "Well, that's ok"
    Officer: "Do you have a ID and insurance?"
    Me: "Yes i do, but first i have to let you know that i'm licensed to carry a concealed Weapon and that i'm armed at the moment"
    Officer: "Ok, where is the weapon at?"
    Me: "On my right hip"
    Officer: "Where is your wallet at?"
    Me: "On my left hip"
    Officer: "Ok, then go ahead"

He was alright with it and didn't seem to be concerned about my weapon. I handed him my ID, CHL and insurance card, he looked at it and asked me why i run the red light, i explained my mistake. He also noticed my accent...

Officer: "Where are you from?"
    Me: "I'm German"
    Officer: "Sprechen Sie deutsch? (do you speak german?)"

We had a little talk in german, he was friendly and relaxed, i was friendly and respectful. He didn't even check my license on the radio, he just handed me my ID back, told me that he'll cut me a break for tonight and that i better watch the traffic lights from now on.

After all, i think it was a very good traffic stop. It could have been expensive for me if he would have decided to give me a ticket. Instead he just gave me a verbal warning and let me go. Great experience i think. Oklahoma City Police Officers are not as bad as some people say they are ;)
    Regards, Mike

The german american, now living in Germany, but surely missing home!

2. Remove Ads

Pretty much the same experience for me in Austin...the foot got a little heavy and here come the red & blues. I pulled over and when asked why I was speeding I just told the officer that I really didn't have an excuse, that I just messed up.

I showed my CHL, DL, and insurance card and he asked where the weapon was. I pointed to it's location and then asked me to slow down and take it easy. Of course I told him I would and did as a matter of fact. Very courteous officer and he didn't even give me a warning ticket. When he saw the CHL, he just smiled and when I told him I had no excuse for speeding, he just chuckled to himself. Sometimes having a CHL is kind of handy, I think...for more than one reason.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Assistant Administrator
    You never know - and while I sure would not regard the CCW as a ''get outa jail free'' card - it sure does seem to help sometimes - perhaps just that it sorta shows we are good guys.

Thing is too - there are a lotta very fine cops out there - and many can and do cut some slack at times - much to our relief.

Fred - yours was just your smooth talk
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've found them to be Reasonable Men in Unreasonable Times. God Bless the Good Ones, and the Devil take the Bad Ones.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I understand that those 'red light' tickets aren't cheap...you did well...
    I really do think that honesty works the best...

Someone going 75 in a 45...
    "Know why I stopped you sir?"

"No, did I do something wrong officer?"

Thinking...
    "Why yes, you're an idiot and I'm giving you a ticked for 'being an idiot', wait, it has to be for speeding..."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    yeah,

i've found that being honest and being forthcoming is always the right way to handle things...now all i have to do is cure that lead foot of mine...

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Traffic Stop New CCW Holder

I've had my CCW for only 3 weeks. I was stopped last night on my way back from the gun range by the county Sheriff, with a car full of guns and ammo (not too much ammo left). The stop was because I had a burned out brake light. I turned on the interior light, placed my hands on the top of the steering wheel, and when the officer asked for my ID, I informed him that I had a CCW permit and I was currently armed with a gun. He asked where was the loaded weapon, which I replyed on my right side holstered. I told him I carry spare bulbs with me and that I will fix this problem. He checked my IDs and said to take care of that burned out bulb as soon as you can. That was it, and he drove off. He could have issued me a fix-it ticket, but he let me go home and fix it.

I have been reading about these traffic stops and announcing the CCW permit, etc. on the forum now and again. I wonder, is it the CCW permit or the demeanor which becomes the permit holder that ends up with just a warning? I am beginning to believe it is probably both with a greater emphasis on the demeanor.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

Administrator
    Demeanor.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post
    I have been reading about these traffic stops and announcing the CCW permit, etc. on the forum now and again. I wonder, is it the CCW permit or the demeanor which becomes the permit holder that ends up with just a warning? I am beginning to believe it is probably both with a greater emphasis on the demeanor.
    I have to agree. The few times I've been stopped, I've always been courteous and honest, and even before I got my CHL, I've always been given a verbal or written warning from a very friendly officer.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Too cool. Great story!

Like you said P95, its not a get out of jail free card. But... I was talking w/ a LEO accquaintance last night at our sons' karate class. The subject came up and i asked him what he thought about CC license. He said "I think every one should have the right to be armed and be able to defend themselves and their families." He also said on most stops he makes and someone hands him their drivers lic and CC lic AND not being a jerk, he'll ask where they have the weapon and give them back the CCL. He also said, most times it gets them out of the ticket.
    I used the qoute from you--If a BG dies as the result of pointing a gun at me, then he has merely succumbed to an occupational hazard of being a thug-- He thought that was great!
    He said WE are the ones doing it right, carrying concealed legally--WE are helping make his job easier.

Assistant Administrator
    Spydad ... welcome!

Your LE aquaintance has a good approach and obviously distinguishes between us good guys and the BG's ..... I'd certainly like to think that even in a small way, we reduce the burden the cops have to deal with - for most part of course it is an unseen potential benefit.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Outstanding LE work on his part. A tribute to those good guys out there who realize everyone is not a BG. Tough job they have, do not envy them..Luck.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    All in all, that seems to have been a picture-perfect traffic stop, with one minor change I would have made. (This comes from my dad having been a salesman.) He would say, "You have to ask for the sale!"

In other words, when someone is not going to come right out and give you what you want, the only way you might have a chance at getting it is to ask it. In a sale, it's asking for someone to sign the contract. In the traffic stop, it's asking to not be given a ticket.

If you are contrite, not argumentative, and have even a modestly reasonable explanation for what you did, I've found, many cops will let you off without a ticket. But they are not (usually) going to volunteer to let you off.

So when he said, "You know I have to give you a ticket for that, right?" that was the time for you to say:

"Yeah, I do know you could, but I have to say I'd really appreciate if you could see fit not to. You see, I had gotten used to that light operating a different way, and I guess I got taken advantage of by my own reflexes and I never meant to do what I ended up doing. Do you think you could cut me a break? I'd really appreciate it."

I have used very similar speeches and been let go. Ask for the sale.

I know this one worked out for you regardless, but the next cop might not speak German! (What were the chances of that?! )

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links