Commoners with CCW's in may issue states

This is a discussion on Commoners with CCW's in may issue states within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many people here are from a "May issue" state excluding LEO's, that have a CCW permit? How did you manage to get it? Any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commoners with CCW's in may issue states

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Commoners with CCW's in may issue states

How many people here are from a "May issue" state excluding LEO's, that have a CCW permit?

How did you manage to get it? Any restrictions on it?

2. Remove Ads

Was in California, and that's about as variably "may-issue" as anywhere. State-wide, there are very few licenses issued. I was living in what was, for all practical purposes, a rural county, so the county sheriff was fairly pro-gun and pro-carry. Thus, only a small truckload of rational reasons was required to justify the need. Was a "commoner," I suppose ... not in law enforcement, not an actor, not worth $1B, and not kissin' the butt of the sheriff.

Restrictions? Sure, a few. No federal buildings or secured areas of airports, of course. No courthouse. No schools. Requirement to store it safely (either in a safe, or with a trigger "lock"). Ten-day waiting period on new purchases. Ten-round limit on magazines, as a state restriction (despite the sunset of the AWB). A whole laundry list of disapproved "assault" weapons. The license demanded having the carry guns listed by serial nbr, no other gun could be carried, and qualification had to be done with the "most powerful" of the calibers. Overall, not as bad as New York, Maryland or a few other may-issue places. Not as funky as Ohio, with some of its twists. But not horrible, really. On a daily basis, the restrictions didn't keep me from carrying anyplace I commonly went.

In Oregon, by comparison, it's shall-issue and really only the fed/airport/courthouse restrictions are the biggies. Otherwise, it's basically unrestricted, open-carry in rural areas, etc.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm from NY which is pretty much "usually issue" if there is such a thing. All counties will normally give you a permit if you haven't had a run in with the law, et.c.. but restrictions vary from county to county. In Monroe county all permits (that i've ever seen) have been issued with no restrictions. Where I used to live, in Oneida county, all permits are issued with a rubber stamp that says something like "hunting, target, hiking, camping." People who take formal training and then file for an ammendment after a year or two normally have the restrictions removed.

There are about 42,000 CCWs out in California. Depending on your county of residence, it can be effectively shall-issue, or no way in heck.

I have one issued in Orange County. I'm a nobody. Mine has no restrictions other than Federal Property, facilities with prisoners, courthouses. Schools are no problem. California allows those with CCW licenses to be on school grounds, buildings, etc. The issuing authority (sheriff or chief of police) can place that or any other restriction on the license. We're fortunate in Orange County that our sheriff is as pro-CCW as he can be within the system. Our numbers in OC have more than doubled in two years, from 1200 to over 3000. We're hoping to have that at 5000 in the next year and a half. This may not sound like much in a county of nearly 3 million, but ten or so years ago there were fewer than 300 CCWs in OC.
    For information on getting your CCW License in California please visit CalCCW.

Administrator

Back when Pennsylvania was "May Issue" upon the determination of the Sheriff ~ it helped speed the process up if you knew the Sheriff of your county or were personally "vouched for" by a person who knew the Sheriff.
    It just cut through some Red Tape and sped up the process if you were a "Known Individual" but, my County Sheriff (at the time) was very fair about issuing a PA LTC to clean individuals. It just took a little longer.
    That was back when your PA LTC was just a 3"X4" sheet of white Xerox paper with your photo stapled to it w/ your name/address and the Signature of the Sheriff.
    Can you tell I've been carrying for quite some time?

Now with Shall Issue in my County it's almost TOO FAST when you renew.
    You're trying to fill out your App without making any dumb Boo Boos ~ at the same time you're filling out your form they are asking you a few questions...then one Deputy tells you to look up...they pop your photo at the same time they are running your computer check...then bammo they take your old LTC and hand you your new one and you're done.
    You do it all at the jail-house so if they "run your check" and you're WANTED then instead of getting your quick LTC - you get a quick surprise set of handcuffs.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    I'm from NY which is pretty much "usually issue" if there is such a thing. All counties will normally give you a permit if you haven't had a run in with the law, et.c.. but restrictions vary from county to county. In Monroe county all permits (that i've ever seen) have been issued with no restrictions. Where I used to live, in Oneida county, all permits are issued with a rubber stamp that says something like "hunting, target, hiking, camping." People who take formal training and then file for an ammendment after a year or two normally have the restrictions removed.
    Suffolk County, when I lived there (left in '97) issued permits that entitled you to take your guns only to the range. They listed each individual handgun you owned, typed on the non-laminated permit. And they were jerks about everything you ever had them add, let me tell you. My friend, also a permit-holder, was actually told by one female licensing division officer that they don't like the fact that they have to let people have handguns!

A county legislator in Suffolk, back around '96 or so, applied for a permit, and was flabbergasted that even after going through all the rigamarole and 6 month wait (they make sure to take all the 6 months, make no mistake) he would not even be allowed to carry for protection. He got a county law passed that mandated that the police commissioner issue permits with no greater restriction than the state law allowed, and the state law allows for concealed carry. In other words, this county law pre-empted the police department from issuing restrictive conditions on permits issued.

The commissioner at the time REFUSED TO OBEY THAT LAW. Flat out refused. I suppose he could have just decided to be "more discretionary" and simply refused to issue any permits, and come up with some absurd excuse for why not, but instead he went right on issuing restrictive permits, and as far as I know, that's how things continue to this day. (I haven't followed up on what came of that issue since then.)

I had a permit back then, and when I moved to Florida I simply never informed the Suffolk PD. Eventually I got a letter from them, a couple of years later. Apparently they had become informed that I had moved away, and the letter asked that I inform them of the disposition of my handguns. Well, when I read that request I basically said you!! and your horse, and never responded to the letter. They can go to hell, asking me what became of my guns when I moved. What do you THINK I did with them?! :

Quote:/Well, when I read that request I basically said you!! and your horse, and never responded to the letter. They can go to hell, asking me what became of my guns when I moved. What do you THINK I did with them?! :Quote:/

I have to go to Long Island for work somtimes. I know what you are talking about. It sucks there for gun owners. If I ever see Chuck, Hillary, or Carolyn there I will kick them right in the taint!!

I would love to find a normal citizen that hasn't been already attacked and doesn't own a cash based business that has a CCW permit. So far, I only know people that carry illegally. Good people, professional people, safe, honest, trustworthy people... facing up to three years in jail for protecting themselves.

(No, I am not one of them!)

1943 - 2009
    Montana became a "shall issue" State in 1991. Before that, concealed weapons permits were issued strictly at the discretion of District Court judges. There were no guidelines to be followed, in fact, there wasn't even a standardized application form.

Judges in about half of the counties in Montana issued no permits under any circumstances, judges in the other half would issue permits under certain conditions, like being a relative of the judge.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

There are a few counties in CA that allow the reason of "personal protection" to count as your good cause statement. Sutter county sheriff even advertises such on their website. That makes their policy effectively shall issue. I'm not sure how many people in those counties actually take advantage of the relatively easy process. When I lived in CA iI was in Sacramento county, so unless I donated a good amount of money to a sheriff campaign there was no way I was getting a permit.

Not an "Elite/Celeb"

So no CCW in this County

Even if I donated money to an election, crossed my fingers, carried diamonds or cash...

No need to CCW as the 240hr waiting period reduces gun crimes
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    I would love to find a normal citizen that hasn't been already attacked and doesn't own a cash based business that has a CCW permit. So far, I only know people that carry illegally. Good people, professional people, safe, honest, trustworthy people... facing up to three years in jail for protecting themselves.

(No, I am not one of them!)
    And people wonder why the crime rate in MD is almost double what they are in VA and PA, and MD even has less of a population

I live in a shall-issue state now, but used to live in a may-issue state, Delaware. I don't know what their process is now, it used to be ridiculous. I first had to get a piece of paper signed, by 5 people, in my voting district, saying they didn't "mind" if I carried a handgun. I had allready, taken a course in armed security 2 week course I paid $400 out of my pocket, I then had to pay a weapons instructor to qualify me and prove to the state I could "handle" a weapon. Then of course a ton more paperwork, then I had to go before a judge to plead my case as to why I wanted the permit, of course the judge I got didn't like my reason, of personal protection, he said that's what the police are for Oh yeah I forgot something, during this time they ran in the paper, that I was applying for a permit, along with the names of others applying. I finally, after almost a year of crap, got a judge that "approved" of my reason to carry and granted me the permit. I left the state 2 years before it expired and never looked back
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

Haha, I read some of the preceding posts and I just laugh to myself. I went through a lot of the same shenanigans mentioned above.

I now live in Florida, but am originally from Long Island, NY, Nassau County to be precise. When I decided to apply for a pistol permit, I also had to get signatures from 5 people saying I was an upstanding citizen etc. Everything had to be signed, I's dotted, T's crossed, typed in black and notarized! I got my permit after 3.5 months which I understand was a miracle(that's another story).

Both my pistols had to be registered and displayed on my license, with calibre, make, serial, etc etc. In order for me to buy a new pistol, I had to get a purchase order/permission from the police station in order to get one. This required multiple trips between the gun store and the police station. First go to the store, pick out what I want, get a receipt with make, model, serial. Take it to the police station to get the Purchase Order, then back to the gun store to pick up the weapon, then back to the police station to make sure that the info on the weapon matched and for them to add it to my license. I had to pay a $5 charge to get the purchase order and have the info added to my license. If I wanted it removed same $5 charge. Every 5 yrs I had to renew the license and go to the police station to have it updated with a current picture etc. Every 5 years when renewing my license I would get the same question, so you want to surrender your license or keep it. Huh? I keeping of course.

At my last renewal, I got a shock, due to the county needing to generate revenue 'reluctactantly' raised my renewal fee 1000% from $25 to $250. WTH? I paid it anyway. Are not allowed to own any handguns if you have no permit.

Just before I moved to Florida, I decided I would transfer my pistols the legal way. FFL to FFL. For me to send to myself in Florida I had to sign over the pistols to the shop doing the transfer for me. Since I consigned the pistols to them, I had to have them removed from my license. So I had to go the police station to pay them $10 to remove the pistols from my license. The female detective doing the removal said to me, since you have no weapons on your permit, do you want to surrender the permit, since you apparently have no reason for having one. I politely said no. I moved to Florida and sent for my guns. Peacefull Jeffrey will appreciate this, I am supposed to let them know whenever my address changes since I am a weapons owner. I never informed them that I moved, and for that, they can use the extra $225 they got me for the renewal to come and find me and learn the disposition of 'my' pistols. I figure it's the least they can do.

SY

Keep in mind that the "restictions" on a NY permit are administrative only. Should you carry for personal protection and be caught they can take away your permit, (because they can!), but you have no legal fears.
    Last edited by SCfromNY; September 17th, 2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links