Ever have anyone frighten by sight of gun

This is a discussion on Ever have anyone frighten by sight of gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The wife of a friend would leave the room if a gun was present. I asked her about it, and she couldn't articulate why, but ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever have anyone frighten by sight of gun

VIP Member
    The wife of a friend would leave the room if a gun was present. I asked her about it, and she couldn't articulate why, but the sight of a gun just wigged her out.

My former rifle range chairman's wife would get physically ill at the sight of a gun. He worked on her long enough that she actually was shooting a gun at one point. Still not enthusiastic about it though.

So there are folks out there who will freak out at the sight of a gun. I work with a guy who runs screaming like a little girl at the sight of a snake, including fake ones. So who knows.

-Scott-

2. Remove Ads

Although my sister (a very liberal Democrat....I still her though) is comfortable with my guns...she'll handle them and comment on them.....her daughter goes beserk at the sight of one....she's a real left wing liberal Demo. I don't "expose" my new toys around her anymore!
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Yes, I've terrified many a college student here.

I go out with friends to a local bar and open carry. I know management, so no problem there. I have at most two beers over the course of the night, and expect to field dozens of questions about said firearms.

It's not half-jokingly referred to as Second Amendment Education night.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Lead Moderator
    I get alot of comments when we are out shooting on public land with friends. We tend to have lots of hardware, mostly black rifles and such. Never really saw anyone scared of em though. Of course up here the opener of deer hunting is a day off for school kids too.

Before it became legal to carry, I always had a handgun in my vehicle. A co-worker that lived close by wanted to carpool with me (always my car) to "save gas". After a couple of miserable weeks being trapped in the car with him and his Old Spice it all came to a wonderful halt. One morning we were nearly to our work place and I opened the console of my truck for something ,and he saw the handgun. He turned white. "What is that !!!" It's a gun, dummy. He explained that a gun was a tool of the devil, and I was one of his diciples for owning one. I got off at the next exit, turned around and drove him all the way back home. He never spoke to me again. TEARS.

Growing up in rural Iowa in the early 70's it was common to see teenaged boys walking along railroad tracks and country roads with shotguns. In fact, the only time I was questioned about why I was there and what I was doing is once when I did NOT have a shotgun with me.

I think the midset at that time and place is that kids with shotguns were hunting and that's OK. Kids without shotguns were up to who knows what, probably no good. If only twere true today.
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

i wish i had some horror stories to tell, but up here, even our liberals carry. they dont even bat an eye when seeing people open carry. not many places across the country can one open carry into a stop-n-rob and have the cashier start up a conversation about wishing they were the ones going shooting instead of working on a nice sunny day. or at a pawn shop and have the clerk start asking what they need to do to get a carry permit.

i'm so envious of you all.

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanspiff
    i wish i had some horror stories to tell, but up here, even our liberals carry. they dont even bat an eye when seeing people open carry. not many places across the country can one open carry into a stop-n-rob and have the cashier start up a conversation about wishing they were the ones going shooting instead of working on a nice sunny day. or at a pawn shop and have the clerk start asking what they need to do to get a carry permit.

i'm so envious of you all.
    what part of the country are you in ?

alaska

Sigmund Freud said that a fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity, which I find to be completely true. The more I interact with hoplophobes, the more I understand their neurosis. Which is nothing a little therapy can't fix...

While working for a company in Houston, TX that sells commercial steel, I was asked to swing by the airport on my way in and pick up a prospective employee that had flown in from Canada.
    She was 25, single and had never ben out of her province much less to the USA. She came from a well to do family and held 3 degrees. Extremely nieve.

I picked her up in front as planned, introduced myself and we started heading to the office. I was carrying as I always do and I guess she saw the bottom of my gun sticking out of my holster from under my jacket. She freaked out and started screaming hysterically to pull over. I did and she bailed out backing away from the vehicle and screamed "Do you have a gun????" I calmed her down and explained the CHL and why I carry. She would not get back into the car until I put the gun in the trunk, unloaded. Luckily she did not ask if I had a BUG, which I always do.

She explained that she new nothing about guns but that "they kill". I was not about to try to educate her in the limited time frame we had together. I simply told her is was a right bestowed on me here in Texas and I excercised that right.

But, the thing that really scared this little sheeple was the fact that we have spiders & snakes that can kill you.....needless to say she did not take the job. I am sure she is probably working in her parents musical instruments store back in Canada.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

VIP Member
    She freaked out and started screaming hysterically to pull over. I did and she bailed out backing away from the vehicle and screamed "Do you have a gun????"
    Oh, good grief. I absolutely cannot stand irrational hysterics. Lady, screw your head back on. Apparently three degrees didn't give you an ounce of common sense. Remove yourself from the big, scary, wide world and go back to your sheltered Barbie Doll house where mommy can soothe you by petting you on the head.

"Mother - Texas has guns... and tarantulas!"
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quite! Cossaks were known to lash medium-sized saplings down and tie hapless (slow) peasants between the two trees, and cut the trees loose. Kinda like a big sparkler with gut-strings. (My wife's great-grandmother came from Eastern Europe, and remembered hiding from the Cossaks, as a very little girl) Texas has trees too ......
    Don't fear the tool; fear the mind of man.

When I was in my mid 20's a frind of mine pulled up in his car and got out to speak with me. I had a shoulder rig on me, and was carrying a Colt Commander. He leaned in, noticed the weapon on me, and freaked out, grabbing his throat, and saying "OMG, you're carrying a gun" He got back in his car and drove off, only to call me at home later in the day. I told him I have been carrying a weapon since I was 21 (We've been friends since we were 14) He avoided speaking to me ever since that day. Oh well, he's been assaulted several times since then, and still doesn't get the message! LOl..

Unhappy Some folks never learn....until it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    When I was in my mid 20's a frind of mine pulled up in his car and got out to speak with me. I had a shoulder rig on me, and was carrying a Colt Commander. He leaned in, noticed the weapon on me, and freaked out, grabbing his throat, and saying "OMG, you're carrying a gun" He got back in his car and drove off, only to call me at home later in the day. I told him I have been carrying a weapon since I was 21 (We've been friends since we were 14) He avoided speaking to me ever since that day. Oh well, he's been assaulted several times since then, and still doesn't get the message! LOl..
    I've seen this phenomenon more than a few times. We used to have a saying in the army: TRAUMA TEACHES but I guess some people never learn. Perhaps Robert A. Heinlein said it best in THE NOTEBOOKS OF LAZARUS LONG: "You live and learn or you don't live long."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links