License/DWI checkpoint...Show CCW or not?

This is a discussion on License/DWI checkpoint...Show CCW or not? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The LEO's here frequently run License/DWI checks in the county I live in. I've been stopped once since getting my CCW. When I got to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: License/DWI checkpoint...Show CCW or not?

License/DWI checkpoint...Show CCW or not?

The LEO's here frequently run License/DWI checks in the county I live in. I've been stopped once since getting my CCW. When I got to the officer checking, I had my license and CCW permit ready. He took 1 look at my license and didn't even look at the CCW permit. My question is this: Are we supposed to show our CCW permit in this situation? Has anyone had any problems during these checks?

Eric
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

2. Remove Ads

I don't. I've never been asked for my license though. Just roll the window down, answer the "where are you coming from" type questions and drive off.

I think you did the right thing by presenting both your drivers license and your CCW permit. That's what I would have done. Why not?

VIP Member
    Yes, since North Carolina requires you to inform LEO’s that you have a permit and are armed it would be appropriate to present it at the Revenue Enhancement Check Points.

I would not have handed them my CCW at a DUI check point. Why attract undo attention to yourself. With that said, If it was a another type of car stop I would hand it to them.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Yes, Revenue Enhancement Check Points.
    You've got that one figured alright.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Yes, since North Carolina requires you to inform LEO’s that you have a permit and are armed it would be appropriate to present it at the Revenue Enhancement Check Points.

lol....how true

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic2367 View Post
    lol....how true

True...but has my vote to get the drunks off the road...and even catch illegals...have had a number of friends killed or maimed by both.

I would roll down my window...I live in a state that requires LEO notification...and would do such.

Rick

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I think you did the right thing by presenting both your drivers license and your CCW permit. That's what I would have done. Why not?
    It covered the issue for you; however, NC requires you to tell the officer if you have the handgun concealed and that you have a permit. They are to ask for the permit if they want to see it.
    The officer already knew you had the permit if your plate had been run, just not if the handgun was in the vehicle at that time.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    it's real simple... if you're state requires LEO notification, then you do it. If it doesn't, then I would say you still do it, but you can use your own judgement based on the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    It covered the issue for you; however, NC requires you to tell the officer if you have the handgun concealed and that you have a permit. They are to ask for the permit if they want to see it.
    The officer already knew you had the permit if your plate had been run, just not if the handgun was in the vehicle at that time.
    In Kansas , LEO can tell you have a CCH permit by running DL check, but not by running plate. I'm surprised NC allows this. Even so, this would only tell the LEO that the person the auto is registered to, has a permit. That person is not necessarily the driver. KS law requires that you inform a LEO if you are armed and if you are asked.

msgt/ret has it right. In NC, we must inform when in face-to-face contact with a LEO.

The nice part is if it is one of the "revenue enhancement programs" (I like that one Sarge. Mind if I borrow it?), you have the opportunity to have all of this info at hand prior to actually engaging in conversation.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Why not let them know? Can't hurt, could help...
    In FL no one has to say a thing, but I think letting LE know about the CCW is the right thing to do...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I would hand it to them unless you have something to hide. I mean you never know what the cops will find in some of these cars out here
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Interesting comments in this thread. For the normal checkpoints they would not be running license plate checks, just looking to see if you have drivers license and if the smell anything funny when you roll down the window. If I had my weapon with me I would of course provide my CWP as required by law. The interesting part is I have read many comments especially on other boards is how some people would seemingly refuse to provide their DL much less their CWP unless arrested. Also what do you do if you do have a gun in the car but do not have a permit which is perfectly legal in many states? On top of that in some states it must be in plain view and in others in the glove box or console.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links