Open Carry States - Page 2

Open Carry States

This is a discussion on Open Carry States within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; RSSZ-me to! Although I believe there is a place for open carry as I have said before depending upon where you are and your type ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Carry States

RSSZ-me to! Although I believe there is a place for open carry as I have said before depending upon where you are and your type of work. But I also understand that I am in no way advocating we don't allow it, thats not in my frame work to stand in the path of anyone else.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    45, Am in complete agreement of your last post.-----

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I don't have a problem with open carry on one's own property, gun clubs, ranges, etc.

However, I want the element of surprise in my corner if heaven forbid I ever have to use it. I wore a uniform for ~!8 years and carried open . . . always aware of anyone around me . . . don't need that any more, no thanks!

I like laws that ALLOW open carry (we shouldn't be restricted by law), but I think common sense should dictate that it is wiser to conceal for our own "protection" (don't like a bullseye on my back).

VIP Member
    BTW I'm no advocate of open carry. I am in fact just the opposite. That doesn't mean that I don't open carry at times. Those times are when I'm the RSO (Range Safety Officer) at the local range or at the gun shop manning the counter (owner likes open carry by the employees). I have open carried when out walking on my property or when I have a long gun, since it is illegal to conceal those in Virginia.

I thought it was interesting how many states do allow open carry of some sort or another.

As for people in the bar/restaurant wearing guns. It is not a problem because I am not aware of anyone who consumes alcohol. In Virginia there is not statutory limit for DIP (Drunk In Public). So one beer and you could be charged DIP and in possession of a firearm while impaired. Would you win in court? I would say in most of the state you probably would. However I could list at least five counties where you most likely would not.

Same with imbibing while carrying concealed (at home or a party obviously). In our class we teach that you should not imbibe if you are carrying a firearm, period.

Well, the thunder and lightning are closing in and it looks like night out there, so I'm outta here until the storms pass.

-Scott-

If you are going too 'Open carry' in Indiana, you best have a 'License to Carry' issued by state of Indiana on your person. Exceptions, your home, property, or business.

Bumper, in my state, the information in original post is in error.

Not a good thing.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Agree with RSSZ on this one. I'll never carry open in an urban/suburban area for similar reasons stated in other posts. An "accidental" exposure of a weapon is fine by me, but prefer not to see blatant exposure. To me it just blasts out "I'm armed, don't mess with me"...or "I'm armed, do ya feel lucky punk?" For now at least, Texas doesn't permit open carry.
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    If you are going too 'Open carry' in Indiana, you best have a 'License to Carry' issued by state of Indiana on your person. Exceptions, your home, property, or business.

Bumper, in my state, the information in original post is in error.

Not a good thing.
    I fixed it.

It was in my notes, but didn't make it into the post.
    Last edited by Scott; June 14th, 2005 at 07:08 AM.

New Mexico allows in car carry in any form, without a permit as it is an extension of your home. As soon as you step out though, appropriate CCW and carry laws will apply.

In Virginia it was open carry for years but nobody ever exercised it. As soon as CCW was passed a lot of folks got permits. Nowadays, folks who carry openly will probably be stopped a LOT by cops (products of the public schools antigun AGENDA, no doubt) but they can't do much. There is a move on to bring back open carry in Virginia as a normal thing.
    Actually open carry is not all that uncommon here in VA, and I have never had a police officer question my carrying of a pistol when done openly. That said I have a CHP here in VA so I mostly conceal.

Oh one other fact, if you go to a restuarant in VA that serves alcohol you must open carry or leave it in the car. We mostly open carry at that point.
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"
    Ruger 10/22 .22
    Smith and Wesson 642 .38 +P

Correction on Missouri...

Open carry is not against the law, so it is legal, except local citys can ban it and it is not easy to find out about those areas, as I understand it only a dozen cities or so have bans. Along with the recent CCW law it is now legal to have a handgun anywhere in a vehicle if over 21, this includes concealed on your person without a permit; just don't step out with it concealed. We also recognize all other states permits without formal reciprosity, so come to Missouri and feel free to bring your iron

1952 - 2006
    Nevada permits open carry with the exceptions of Boulder City and North Las Vegas which have local ordinances forbiding it.
    You may carry loaded in your car, under the seat or in the glove box, (again with the exception of those two cities), as your car is considered an extension of your home.
    In Nevada defending yourself against a car-jacking is considered the same as a home invasion.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links