Just because of a few miles.

This is a discussion on Just because of a few miles. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday wife and I joined some friends to drive down into WV for a birthday party - we all (6) went together in a van. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just because of a few miles.

Assistant Administrator

Yesterday wife and I joined some friends to drive down into WV for a birthday party - we all (6) went together in a van.

Despite now having reciprocity (finally) with WV - I still had to bite the bullet and travel unarmed - simply because our drive took us briefly into MD. A short time on 220 having left PA, then a short spell on I 68 into Cumberland MD - and then onto 28 South - quickly getting into WV.

Just a few miles of non CCW territory - and it really really yanks my chain. I rarely venture East so the NY and NJ situation is fortunately not a problem ........ but I do often want to go South, maybe WV or VA and - always - even with its narrowest point - there is MD screwing up my carry.

(sorry for rant!)

These days even OH is OK for me at last - but this MD thing . Grrrrr!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Relax, Relate, Release.....Let er go.

Distinguished Member
    Go shoot off some ammo, it always makes me feel better.

Assistant Administrator
    Go shoot off some ammo
    Yep - come Wednesday - should be doing that!
    Chris - P95

Lived in Springfield W.V. for a few years. Glad I dont now. It would be hard to drive AROUND M.D. all the time

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Find faces of MD's lawmakers online, print them out, and take them to the range, then blow holes them.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    spyderdude:
    I wouldn't do that in this day and age. With PC what it is someone might construe that as an assasination plot. No need to put yourself in the grey bar hotel. While I'm sure the idea has crossed many minds (for range use only) we should not give the antis more ammo against us.

As far as travel goes, before you get into MD unload the gun and store both (ammo and gun) then get them when in WV and vice versa (federal peaceable journey). As long as you don't stop in the non allowed state you may transport from one allowed state to another allowed state.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Yesterday wife and I joined some friends to drive down into WV for a birthday party - we all (6) went together in a van.

Despite now having reciprocity (finally) with WV - I still had to bite the bullet and travel unarmed - simply because our drive took us briefly into MD. A short time on 220 having left PA, then a short spell on I 68 into Cumberland MD - and then onto 28 South - quickly getting into WV.

Just a few miles of non CCW territory - and it really really yanks my chain. I rarely venture East so the NY and NJ situation is fortunately not a problem ........ but I do often want to go South, maybe WV or VA and - always - even with its narrowest point - there is MD screwing up my carry.

(sorry for rant!)

These days even OH is OK for me at last - but this MD thing . Grrrrr!
    Well, if you MUST go through MD:

Stop on the PA side of the border, get out, unload and encase in trunk.
    Once on the WV side(ie past MD) stop, get out, rearm and reload...
    Problem solved.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Be nice if there was a federal law saying that interstates and rest areas were exempt from state gun control laws!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Everything west of Frederick should be WVA, VA or its own state anyway. Those folks really aren't part of the Maryland that makes the laws.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Be nice if there was a federal law saying that interstates and rest areas were exempt from state gun control laws!
    Not really. Don't get me wrong...I'm all in favor of carrying. I just find the federalist nature of this country (the rights of the states to regulate as their people see fit) as important as 2A.

Since I don't like the idea of the AWB2 telling me what I can do in Michigan, I have to not like the idea of the feds telling people in Maryland what they can and cannot do. If I am in favor of it only when it suits my personal needs, it ain't a principle.

Now, it sure would be nice if there was a state law in MD saying you could carry...that I would get behind 100%
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Well, if you MUST go through MD:

Stop on the PA side of the border, get out, unload and encase in trunk.
    Once on the WV side(ie past MD) stop, get out, rearm and reload...
    Problem solved.
    Normally this is what I'd do - but as we were several in the van I didn't want to inconvenience anyone, tho they all know I carry normally.

Plus too - it is irritating to have this fiasco to go thru twice each time for a mere few miles only
    Chris - P95

Hell, I live here!

As for the National thing, here is what I think.
    Normally, I'm very pro states rights, but there are times when the Feds do indeed need to step in. It was right for the feds to force an end to segregation, it is right that a person may drive in all 50 states, if that person can drive in there home state, and it is true that a person that can get a CCW permit, should be allowed to carry in any state.

With that in mind, I do wish the Federal Goverment would insure all CCW permits are valid if issued by the carriers home state. It is stupid that a person on one side of a line is a responsible and productive citizen, and on the other a criminal facing up to 3 years in jail.
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    Not really. Don't get me wrong...I'm all in favor of carrying. I just find the federalist nature of this country (the rights of the states to regulate as their people see fit) as important as 2A.
    Although I agree with your first sentence, I have to disagree in part with the second.
    And while I agree with the fact that Washington, in their effort to gain power and increase control over the people are continually overstepping their authority as given to them in the constitution, I believe the 2nd Amendment to be paramount in importance. Where the phrase "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed" was placed by the founding father in the bill of rights shows the importance they placed on that right.
    It was meant for 'all citizens of these great United States' or else it would have said "the right of the people, of the states that want to allow it, to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

GOOD GUN CONTROL Is Being Able To Hit Your Target!

I know what you mean P95, you were in a situation that involved others and that makes it a major pain in the you-know-what. It would be nice if all states were required to honor every other states permit as they do drivers licenses. You don't always want others to know you are carrying.

For your trip would this have been an option, you were in a van, as you come to the border you unload the gun and place it in a case, in a backpack, and have it moved to the rear of the van? When you cross a friendly border you have the pack handed to you and you load up and re-holster. Now the down side to this is handling a gun in a moving car with others present of course. If you could work out that issue from a safety standpoint perhaps this would work for you.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links