Summary of UT rules?

This is a discussion on Summary of UT rules? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a vacation coming up and I"ll be utilizing my UT CCW... anyways, can someone give me a quick rundown of do's and dont's ...

Thread: Summary of UT rules?

Summary of UT rules?

I got a vacation coming up and I"ll be utilizing my UT CCW... anyways, can someone give me a quick rundown of do's and dont's for that state?

Thanks.

Try this link:

http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFLCarry.html

I live on the border with Utah and go there a lot. You are required to inform when stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Try this link:

http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFLCarry.html

I live on the border with Utah and go there a lot. You are required to inform when stopped.
    thanks, I'm also curious about what signs should I look for on posted no carry businesses and what are the rules about the signs (sizes, visibility and so on).

I have never seen a place that was posted. I took a look at the law and it says:

b) providing notice that a reasonable person would understand.....

That's really vague. It appears to me that there is no official state mandated sign.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    I have never seen a place that was posted. I took a look at the law and it says:

b) providing notice that a reasonable person would understand.....

That's really vague. It appears to me that there is no official state mandated sign.
    Reason I'm asking about that is that I remember reading that the mall where the shooting occured in Salt Lake was a posted no firearms zone

Also, are there restrictions on being in a restaurant that serves alcohol? I know certain states frown on that (btw, I would not be drinking).

smo
    The mall was posted, but that doesn't mean you can't carry. If you recall, the off duty officer who helped stop the shooting had his wife along. She was not a LEO, yet she was carrying her weapon.

In Utah, if you carry into a business posted as no carry, you are not breaking any firearms laws. If you are found out and asked to leave, and you don't leave, you are still only breaking tresspass laws, not firearm laws.

The moral issue of if you should or should not carry into a business when the owner askes that you don't is a whole 'nother topic... That's for you to decide. But LEGALLY, you still can.

One more quetsion to add to all this: how do you have to store a firearm if you have it in the car and you walk away from the vehicle (consider vehicle locked and secured). In CA we have to have it locked and unloaded for example.. what about UT? I tried searching for it on the UT website but unless I missed the obvious, they didn't discuss it there.

THanks

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links