Letter to Editor from teacher who wants to be armed in school

This is a discussion on Letter to Editor from teacher who wants to be armed in school within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.oregonlive.com/commentary...040.xml&coll=7 A LOADED QUESTION Sunday, September 16, 2007 By JANE DOE I'm the Medford school teacher you've heard about. The one who will ask an ...

Thread: Letter to Editor from teacher who wants to be armed in school

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Letter to Editor from teacher who wants to be armed in school

http://www.oregonlive.com/commentary...040.xml&coll=7

A LOADED QUESTION
    Sunday, September 16, 2007
    By JANE DOE

I'm the Medford school teacher you've heard about. The one who will ask an Oregon judge on Tuesday to affirm my right to carry a Glock pistol to my school so I can protect myself from a man who's hit me and threatened to kill me: my ex-husband.

In 2004, I legally bought a gun for the first time. It was a decision I deemed necessary after years of abuse and continued threats drove me to obtain a restraining order. I knew my safety and the safety of my children ultimately depended upon me alone.

I had strong suspicions my ex-husband had violated his restraining order by coming to my home several times. One time, I saw him leave, literally passing him as he came out of my driveway. When I reported this, I was told the restraining order did not forbid him being there when I was not home.

My ex-husband lost his concealed carry permit and his gun when he was arrested for menacing, several months before our separation, in an unrelated incident.

To be eligible for a license to carry a concealed weapon, I was required to attend a course taught locally. The instructor was thorough. I learned how a gun should be used, the dangers if it was mishandled and that I need to continuously practice using my gun. I follow those lessons. The course also reviewed legal ramifications an owner would face if her gun was involved in an incident. After passing the required background check and offering validation of completing the course, I received my permit.

I believe that Oregon law clearly permits me -- and anyone else with a concealed handgun license -- to carry a concealed weapon into schools. My employer, the Medford School District, maintains that I would be violating district policy if I did so.

A "gun-free" zone only informs a potential criminal that he or she won't face an armed private citizen, making a school a prime target. In addition, my school's police officer is assigned more than one school, and when he is working on campus, his office is in an annex away from the main building and far from my classroom. Second, my ex-husband is approved as a substitute teacher in my district, making it possible for him to be called to work in the same school where I've been working or at my daughter's school. Furthermore, my classroom has several windows, making it possible for anyone outside to catch glimpses of me or my students moving around the room.

Even after recent events in Nickel Mines, Pa., and Virginia Tech, where Amish schoolchildren and college students were gunned down on campus, very little has changed where I work. We have name badges, but if they aren't worn, no one notices. Doors do lock from the inside, but a teacher's key opens all classroom doors.

Children entering a classroom as students are just as important as the teacher's own. But, far beyond any wealth of knowledge that they might receive from an instructor, the greatest gift is assurance that their school is a safe place in which to learn. At the same time, this case allows them to see the importance of knowing our rights and helps them see that if left undefended, such rights may be lost forever.

It is woefully irresponsible to deny the possible risk of violence in public schools. It is shameful to attempt to victimize those who would seek to defend children in our schools, ridiculously inciting fear over teachers' mental competency or proficiency in handling a firearm. More importantly, it is abhorrent that any district would be so hypocritical to insist students receive instruction on the importance of individual rights only to trample the rights of their teachers whenever it sees to do so.

I encourage you to demand that the Medford School District obey state law and abandon its current policy that bans me from carrying a tool I need to protect myself, my students and my co-workers.

The writer is a member of the National Rifle Association whose legal bills are being paid for by the Oregon Firearms Education Foundation. Her lawyer, James Leuenberger of Lake Oswego, said he is listing her name as "Jane Doe" in the complaint he will file this week in Jackson County Circuit Court.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

EVERYONE...not just people in States where guns & their ownership is more universally accepted, but EVERYONE has the right to protect themselves.

If we trust teachers enough to allow them to participate in the forming of young minds toward the goal of making those students responsible, contributing adult citizens...we should trust them enough to allow them the same right to Personal Protection as the rest of us. Why should teachers be singled-out as less mentally & physically able to handle a handgun?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I hope that she succeeds and more of these suits also succeed. If the precedent begins to be set we are all better off.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    That was a clear and eloquent article. I hope her case is successful.

Very well written. I wish her a lot of luck and support.

By support that means I'm donating money to the NRA. If you are a gun owner and not a member of the NRA you are nothing more than a "blood sucking parasite!

No, the NRA is not perfect, but they are the best game in town, with the biggest amount of political "clout".

Biker

Interesting point I would like to make; the school district has essentially been warned that there could be a very dangerous situation involving one of their employees as well as some students because of proximity to the teacher. I would think that their liability would go up drastically if they don't make an accommodation for her or provide her with armed protection while on campus. Ignoring this will be a disaster for them if anything were to happen. What do you all think?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    So she might be in a classroom right next to her ex who is also a teacher, and there might be some kind of violence. There might be a shootout right there in the hall. I'm surprised they haven't fired her (or him) for not getting along with her coworkers, or because her mere presence is a liability to safety. Do they have to schedule them in separate schools? Keep them apart at the Christmas party?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    So she might be in a classroom right next to her ex who is also a teacher, and there might be some kind of violence. There might be a shootout right there in the hall. I'm surprised they haven't fired her (or him) for not getting along with her coworkers, or because her mere presence is a liability to safety. Do they have to schedule them in separate schools? Keep them apart at the Christmas party?
    If he has violent tendencies should he be a teacher or even around kids?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Links