guns in cold weather

This is a discussion on guns in cold weather within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so. the time has come . its starting to get cold here. The winter is coming. Seeing as it gets below zero here a lot, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: guns in cold weather

guns in cold weather

so. the time has come. its starting to get cold here. The winter is coming. Seeing as it gets below zero here a lot, I was wondering-
    what must I do to take care of my gun in the cold?
    As much as I would like to keep it safe at home snuggled up in a blanket-- well that just wouldn't do me any good.
    It should be quite close to my body most the time so shouldn't get too bad. But I'm sure there will be times that it will be left in the freezing car.
    Is there anything I should be concerned about?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    just use light gun oil that will not bind / thicken in cold weather. Breakfree CLP works well, among other things.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Also watch out for condensation forming on a very cold pistol after it's brought into a warm, humid house...a way to avoid this (a trick I learned with camera lenses and other optics) is to place the cold pistol in a large ziplock baggie until it warms to room temperature...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Be certain that there is no lube in the firing pin/striker pin tube. This is a common site for old lube to build up and gel. If you can't fight the urge to lubricate this area, use Birchwood/Casey Sheath or Barricade as it is now called.

try not to have to fire it. other wise it will warm up the heat will cause condensation and if not dried and cleaned right away can lead to those annoying rust spots on your weapon.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Practical Experience In Cold Weather

I help run Utah Polite Society defensive pistol shoots once a month at a range in the mountains east of Salt Lake City. We run these shoots twelve months a year and shoot in all kinds of weather. In the winter months it gets pretty cold and snowy there, our range is only a few miles from the Park City ski resort.

Just to help put your mind at ease, our guns run as well in cold conditions as they do in warmer conditions. Granted, the guys in our group are wearing their guns and their body heat keeps the guns warm, but weíve encountered no problems due to cold weather that are worthy of comment. Weíve had ten years experience shooting in winter conditions at this range, and our guys use their every day carry gear at our shoots. So, we have a bit of experience with this, and havenít experienced any significant problems.

Also, I have a car gun I keep in my car twelve months a year. Itís lived there for Ďround-about ten years and hasnít shown any rust or corrosion from this. Also, every time, even in the winter, when Iíve taken it out of its home in the car and shot it, it has functioned just fine. One caveat, I do inspect it regularly and wipe it down with a lightly oiled cloth from time to time.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Just a quick note, if you live in zero degree temps you may want to carry a second gun in your jacket pocket. I'm partial to J-Frame Airweight Revolvers for this (442/642). PM me if you want to know why.

Think about it. Do you really think a Bad Guy will give you the time and opportunity to get through however many layers of clothing so that you can access your "Primary" sidearm?

If you can't get to your gun in time it does you no good. The heck with PM'ing me. Here's why:

1) Can be fired from the pocket w/o a malfunction if you have a concealed hammer

2) You can have you hand on your gun during a "threatening" situation and nobody the wiser

3) Gives you time to "fight" your way to the "Primary"

4) If the need arises you can arm another competant person (I've armed an Off-Duty LEO that wasn't carrying)

5) Gives you a second gun if something happens to your "Primary" during a gunfight

OK, those are my "main" reasons. Good luck, stay safe and have fun.

Biker

Lead Moderator
    reasons not to carry in your pocket.

1. you may not be able to aim well/snagging if you draw.
    2. your coat may catch fire
    3. when indoors and take off your coat how are you gonna control your weapon?
    4. you may well forget you have a second weapon in a coat pocket (don't laugh, I know people who have done so)
    5. you can just as easily wear your coat open or practice using a cover garment like normal anyway.
    Note :I live in N. MI, it does get cold up here.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    try not to have to fire it. other wise it will warm up the heat will cause condensation and if not dried and cleaned right away can lead to those annoying rust spots on your weapon.
    .. try not to fire it???
    i go shooting 2 or 3 times a week.
    try and pry me away from the range..
    theres nothing else to do up here!

thinner lubricant-- good idea- any suggestions?

Mobil 1 5W30 painted on the rails it has worked for me for 20 years and my son who goes to Ferris state over in your neck of Mi. uses it also cause he has to leave his in car off campus.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

thanks
    FYI im at school at MTU- thus waaay up in the UP. not down state anymore :)

Lead Moderator
    Ahh .Houghton/Hancock area . Nice and cool up there most winters. When you get a chance, check out the library.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    My guns are getting cleaned and lightly lubed so often, it doesn't matter what I use, as long as it's sparingly. Singer sewing machine oil is high quality and cheap for the summer. In the winter I only use a touch of Rem oil. The firing pin and its raceway need to be clean, as Knuckledragger posted. A cold gun brought indoors will experience some condensation, but only on the outside that contacts warm moist air. If the gun is near the body, it heats up quickly enough to evaporate any surface moisture without harm. Regular inspection and surface wipedown can't hurt.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Many years ago I worked at the Cleveland Cliffs mine in January, and yes it's cold there, I would still trust my pistol to Mobil 1 on the rails and barrel lugs and spray the trigger group safety etc with Rem oil, Mobil 1 is used in turbine eng.'s and if it protects them I'm pretty sure it will work on firearms as well I think the flow range is somewhere down around minus 75 F
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

mm. the library. i assume you mean the bar/restaurant. Makers of THE best root beer ever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links