Foreigners (particularly Canadians?) and non-res CCW

This is a discussion on Foreigners (particularly Canadians?) and non-res CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As far as I've understood, some states grant non-resident permits to foreigners on the same criteria as U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Does anyone have ...

As far as I've understood, some states grant non-resident permits to foreigners on the same criteria as U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

Does anyone have a list of these? (I said 'particularly Canadians' in the title because I've only seen Canadians speaking of theirs and I figured it'd attract them here )

Senior Moderator
    Alabama does but it is at the discretition of the Sheriff of the county were your live.

My wife is Canadian and she cannot get a CCW (Pistol Permit in Alabama) in Elmore county but had one in Calhoun County.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have my WA State CPL (concealed pistol license), I am a permanent resident... but on the other hand, I need a firearms license like the one we get in Canada so that I can retain a firearm.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    There was a guy running courses and helping Canadians get their CCW in Utah and elsewhere. It seems the powers to be don't like that and are trying to prevent it. Currently the powers of darkness preveil, but with luck and the NRA, they might be able to start issuing new ones. One suspect in this is the Dept of Homeland Security.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
    The poster seems to be talking about Canadians that live in Canada not Canadian citizens living here. Or is he?
    Yeah, I meant Canadians without permanent resident status or similar.

pmt
    There are a good number of Canadians, living in Canada that are holders of Utah permits. Thanks to http://www.safeguardguy.com/ and the NRA, Utah is currently issuing again (or at least processing the current batch)
    Maine, NH, & PA will also issue to Canadians that are not US residents. Believe it or not, but NY also issued to Canadians at one time.
    USP9 CUSTOM SPORT (X2)
    HK34FTCB
    P7PSP
    Left handed compliment:
    "...if one is going to carry an underpowered pistol he should carry the neatest and handiest one available, and that is the Heckler & Koch P7."- Col. Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by pmt View Post
    There are a good number of Canadians, living in Canada that are holders of Utah permits. Thanks to http://www.safeguardguy.com/ and the NRA, Utah is currently issuing again (or at least processing the current batch)
    Maine, NH, & PA will also issue to Canadians that are not US residents. Believe it or not, but NY also issued to Canadians at one time.
    But for the NH permit you need to have another one to begin with, isn't that right?

CCW for Canadian Snowbirds

Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    Yeah, I meant Canadians without permanent resident status or similar.
    I have completed the $50 NRA Florida CCW course (which is a joke for Canadians who have gone through the Canadian non-restricted PAL exam process or have had military experience). I also paid another $112 to Orlando FDACS office to complete the CCW NICS, finger-printing and 90 day residency. I am no 'tourist or short-term visitor', as am in FL at least 180 days every year with boxes of house bills back to 1996 to prove it. I received a 'Notice of Omission' letter back today from FDACS Division of Licensing that, as I am not a US citizen, I must submit (within 30 days) a Form I-551 (Green Card) from USCIS along with more proof of 90 days residency. I am 76, retired and have no desire to work or need for a Green Card (until now). No Green Card means no CCW. I have no intention of ever 'carrying' in public, just at home or in forest. I only started this process at request of a neighbour policeman who was worried about me living alone at my age. Which turned out to be a waste of money. Very disappointing. Anyone have better (and accurate) news on this? Thank you, John
    Last edited by btlflpztk; April 30th, 2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling error

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by btlflpztk View Post
    I have completed the $50 NRA Florida CCW course (which is a joke for Canadians who have gone through the Canadian non-restricted PAL exam process or have had military experience). I also paid another $112 to Orlando FDACS office to complete the CCW NICS, finger-printing and 90 day residency. I am no 'tourist or short-term visitor', as am in FL at least 180 days every year with boxes of house bills back to 1996 to prove it. I received a 'Notice of Omission' letter back today from FDACS Division of Licensing that, as I am not a US citizen, I must submit (within 30 days) a Form I-551 (Green Card) from USCIS along with more proof of 90 days residency. I am 76, retired and have no desire to work or need for a Green Card (until now). No Green Card means no CCW. I have no intention of ever 'carrying' in public, just at home or in forest. I only started this process at request of a neighbour policeman who was worried about me living alone at my age. Which turned out to be a waste of money. Very disappointing. Anyone have better (and accurate) news on this? Thank you, John
    Get a green card. If you have all that proof of residency over the years and are Canadian, it should be fairly simple.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

GH
    Sure. A green card. Then you can work as a greeter at WalMart. They like to hire us old farts so they can lay bets on them remembering to report to work at the start of their shift.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Links