Disclose or not? VIRGINIA non-disclosure State

This is a discussion on Disclose or not? VIRGINIA non-disclosure State within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Firstly, a heartfelt thanks for such a knowledgeable and accepting group. Forums like this are few and far between. I left for Philly (driving) this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Firstly, a heartfelt thanks for such a knowledgeable and accepting group. Forums like this are few and far between.

I left for Philly (driving) this morning at 0330 from Gloucester Co., VA. About 45 minutes into the trip I had to change CD's and had my light on inside the rental I am driving. I noticed as I came off the bridge in West Point, VA a familiar headlight/grill in my rear view mirror. Guess who??? New Kent County's finest, Deputy Taylor accompanied by a Trooper he was most likely having a doughnut with.
    Deputy Taylor pulled me, I simply said what can I do for you officer? He actually said, "I didn't have radar on you but my EYE told me you were going over 30mph coming off of that bridge. I replied that I didn't think I was but apologized for the misunderstanding.
    He took my license (no CCW permit) and went back to call me in. Then he and the trooper came back with guns DRAWN and said from behind me at the side of the vehicle, "The check came back saying you are a CCW holder are you carrying a weapon?" I answered, "yes". He and the trooper on the opposite side of the vehicle asked me why I didn't tell him that I was carrying a loaded weapon. I told him that by law I wasn't obligated to. He proceeded to lecture me on the fact that I should have told him that I had the weapon when he pulled me over. Not wanting to waste my time I didn't get into the law with him, he was just thew type to detain me for asking questions.
    Point being many think that you don't have to but far too many LEO's have this mentality. They do not know the law that they are enforcing. I didn't present as I usually would to test what others have challenged so often. In almost every incident I haven't disclosed they say I should. I plan to educate him via a fax this week but as I said was in a hurry.
    These LEO's aren't aware and I still hold firm on my point to disclose as a courtesy. It doesn't do any harm to let them know ahead of time. Otherwise you may end up on the side of the road for much longer than you needed to. In VA at least.

Here's an example of another members stance on this.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    In a state where it's required you do it.

In a state where it isn't you don't...what's the point?! Unless it's relevant to the conversation, why do folks feel compelled to show their permit? Please, don't start that "...the LEO wants to know of the threat..." story; you're not a threat. Or, leave out the hope that you'll get some special break or bond with the officer...duh.
    Give LEO a break, they don't know the law! Better safe than shot by trigger happy Barney Taylor! (Pfieff)

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I consider it a courtesy to the officer, even if I weren't required to tell them. As your stop shows, they'll find out anyway, so it might as well be me who tells them.

JEC
    Every LEO knows that a traffic stop is one of the most difficult situations to be entering. Traffic stops have him/her on very high alert. At 0330 any way I can ease that tension should be appreciated. Make the offer to produce your CCP , let the officer decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post

Give LEO a break, they don't know the law! Better safe than shot by trigger happy Barney Taylor! (Pfieff)
    Why do they even bother becoming police officers, to enforce the laws they don't know? I just moved down here to Yorktown and hardly see the cops as much as I did in Arrestafield (Chesterfield), just York County Sherriffs once every couple days, but my roommate got pulled by New Kent's finest two years ago.
    PS,
    Where in Gloucester do you live, anywhere near Gloucester Point?
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I'm in Florida and we're not required to disclose but I do.
    in 3 stops all I got was, a thanks for telling me and once a where is it?
    And I never got the ticket.
    Ain't this a great State.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Firstly, a heartfelt thanks for such a knowledgeable and accepting group. Forums like this are few and far between.

I left for Philly (driving) this morning at 0330 from Gloucester Co., VA. About 45 minutes into the trip I had to change CD's and had my light on inside the rental I am driving. I noticed as I came off the bridge in West Point, VA a familiar headlight/grill in my rear view mirror. Guess who??? New Kent County's finest, Deputy Taylor accompanied by a Trooper he was most likely having a doughnut with.
    Deputy Taylor pulled me, I simply said what can I do for you officer? He actually said, "I didn't have radar on you but my EYE told me you were going over 30mph coming off of that bridge. I replied that I didn't think I was but apologized for the misunderstanding.
    He took my license (no CCW permit) and went back to call me in. Then he and the trooper came back with guns DRAWN and said from behind me at the side of the vehicle, "The check came back saying you are a CCW holder are you carrying a weapon?" I answered, "yes". He and the trooper on the opposite side of the vehicle asked me why I didn't tell him that I was carrying a loaded weapon. I told him that by law I wasn't obligated to. He proceeded to lecture me on the fact that I should have told him that I had the weapon when he pulled me over. Not wanting to waste my time I didn't get into the law with him, he was just thew type to detain me for asking questions.
    Point being many think that you don't have to but far too many LEO's have this mentality. They do not know the law that they are enforcing. I didn't present as I usually would to test what others have challenged so often. In almost every incident I haven't disclosed they say I should. I plan to educate him via a fax this week but as I said was in a hurry.
    These LEO's aren't aware and I still hold firm on my point to disclose as a courtesy. It doesn't do any harm to let them know ahead of time. Otherwise you may end up on the side of the road for much longer than you needed to. In VA at least.

Here's an example of another members stance on this.

If you haven't left anything out of this account, PLEASE for the love of VA contact VCDL TODAY. Don't wait. http://www.vcdl.org/
    I'm going to err on the side of the LEO's and say they may just be misinformed and need their uppers to pass the word down. VCDL is good at getting this done correctly.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I consider it a courtesy to the officer, even if I weren't required to tell them. As your stop shows, they'll find out anyway, so it might as well be me who tells them.
    Agreed. ^^

As well I personally consider it a courtesy to myself never mind the officer, toward not being later found out by the officer to be a CCW with a GUN! and having guns drawn on me with tired/agitated/itchy fingers...and possibility for things and even my physical body to fall apart.

There is the letter of the law and then there is sensibleness and safety.
    Letting Offcr. Friendly know upfront when you have the chance to do so keeps things friendly and safe for all involved.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Must I notify Law Enforcement if I am stopped? That I have a Handgun)

Must I notify Law Enforcement if I am stopped?

(That I have a Handgun)

While not a law to notify a law enforcement officer, Virginia CHP permit holders have a note in VCIN (Virginia Criminal Check System), so the officer knows when walking up on a vehicle stop if a person is/can be legally armed. (This only applies if you are the registered owner of the vehicle.) When simply running your tags. However once they run your actual license they will also know.* NOTE* While you have no duty to inform L.E. that you have a Handgun, It would be better to inform them than for them to find it…….I would keep my hands on the steering wheel at 10:00 and 2:00 at all times. And follow the directions given to me by the officer. I would not make any sudden of furtive movements.

FURTIVE MOVEMENTS -- "Furtive" means secretive or concealing, and the law requires a totality of circumstances here. The movement cannot possibly be construed as an innocent gesture (looking both ways before crossing the street).
    If you are wearing your handgun and are reaching for your drivers licensee and brush your coat back to get it and the officer sees that handgun. There is a possibility that he may feel his or her life is in danger. Because you are reaching for your handgun even if you are not…..

Let me say this one more time, after notifying the officer that I had a concealed handgun permit and a handgun I would keep my hands on the steering wheel at 10:00 and 2:00 at all times. And follow the directions given to me by the officer.

I am not a lawyer and I do not offer this as legal advice it is just my $0.02

Tom Perroni
    Instructor @
    www.perronitactical.com
    www.blackwaterusa.com
    www.goldensealenterprises.com

Seems to me its just asking for trouble if you dont disclose. And I think the origianl poster found this out first hand. I'd be interested to know if he got the ticket or what. Just because the law says you dont have to do it, doesnt mean you shouldnt. You dont have to talk to an officer at a traffic stop, but does it make things difficult for you if you dont? Damn right it does

Then he and the trooper came back with guns DRAWN and said from behind me at the side of the vehicle, "The check came back saying you are a CCW holder are you carrying a weapon?"
    What rationale did the VA lawmakers use when they decided to link CCW registration to the drivers license? That sounds like a "big brother" mentality.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about this.

Then he and the trooper came back with guns DRAWN and said from behind me at the side of the vehicle, "The check came back saying you are a CCW holder are you carrying a weapon?" :
    What I question is why does an alert of a CCW holder require guns drawn as if they you were some sort of wanted criminal, and how do they know you were "carrying a weapon"? Remember folks, we are the good guys and we need to make sure the LE community knows this. LE needs to say to themselves OK, this guy took all the required courses and shooting qualifications to get his/her permit. Anybody else on the road I don't know about but this person I do know is a good person.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    What rationale did the VA lawmakers use when they decided to link CCW registration to the drivers license? That sounds like a "big brother" mentality.
    I believe Wyoming CCW permits are tied to the person's drivers license, but not specifically to their auto registration.

wyo-man

Yeah....I was pulled over by a simliar crew in West Point, VA about 10 years ago....similar circumstance (but no firearm at the time)....but same attitude. Wide difference in professionalism between officers in the tidewater area and central/northern VA
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    I am sick and tired of people bashing cops at every point.

Many states have laws that say you don't have to show your permit. Fine- don't. But, be aware that you may face this type of situation- and it isn't because the cops don't know the law. If he thought you were in violation of the law he would have arrested you. He took that action because he had reason to believe that the person in the car had a gun. Since you didn't tell him about the gun, he proceeded as if there could be a threat in the car. When he determined that there was no threat, he went on with business. I see nothing wrong with what the police officer did. In fact, I think he did the exact right thing.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

EW3
    I'll just say it again, disclosure requirement or not.
    Put yourself in the LEOs shoes.
    If you had to approach a vehicle in the middle of the night, wouldn't you appreciate the occupant letting you know he was armed?
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links