I got pulled tonight...

This is a discussion on I got pulled tonight... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, it finally happened. Wife and I are heading home from another couple's house about 10 p.m. when they called to say they had something ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got pulled tonight...

I got pulled tonight...

Okay, it finally happened.

Wife and I are heading home from another couple's house about 10 p.m. when they called to say they had something for my wife.

They are not in the best part of town. A drive-by shooting happened about 4 blocks from their house when we were there in Feb. And, lots of less than savory-looking characters hang out on the streets at night.

I told them we would be right back, if I could turn around without getting arrested. (There was no good place to do a u-turn.) At the next intersection, I go to turn left, realize there is NO ONE around anywhere (I thought), so I just completed the u-turn in the intersection.

2 blocks later, I turn back onto this couple's street, and I see him coming. I told my wife we were about to be pulled. I slowed down, but continued on until he put on his lights. I pulled over, put the car in park, turned on the interior light, got out my wallet, then put my hands on the steering wheel.

He approached. The usual shine the flashlight into the car to see who and what he is dealing with, then comes to the window. He informs me that he stopped me because of the u-turn on what he described as a blind intersection (not the way I remember it, but...). He asked for my license, which I gave him, along with my FL CWL.

I informed him that I was legally armed. He asked where it was, and I told him (right hip). He went back and I assumed checked out my record.

In the meantime, the couple whose house we were headed back to, were standing in their front yard (about 2 houses away) watching all this.

The officer came back a few minutes later with my license and CWL, handed them back to me and told me to be careful next time.

I thanked him, and then we both went on our ways.

The officer was very professional and more than a little gracious.
    I suspect that he was also checking to see if we were involved in any drug or prostitution activity. (I told my wife she was dressed a little flashy. THAT went well. )

Not a bad outcome for a stupid move.
    Last edited by QKShooter; September 19th, 2007 at 01:35 AM. Reason: grammar
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    "told wife she was dressed a little flashy" is that not subjective? I think we will need to see pictures so that we may judge her dress for our selves.

Glad all turned out fine for you!!!

SleepingZ

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    "told wife she was dressed a little flashy" is that not subjective? I think we will need to see pictures so that we may judge her dress for our selves.

SleepingZ
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post

SleepingZ
    Yeah. THAT ain't gonna happen.

The look I got when I told her that would be nothing compared to THE LOOK if I told her what the picture was for.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    (I told my wife she was dressed a little flashy. THAT went well. )

Not a bad outcome for a stupid move.
    Yup, telling the wife that is a stupid move alright. .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Where in Florida are you at that U-turns are illegal?? As far as I can tell, it is the U-turn state.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Heh, yeah, but just because everyone does 'em doesn't mean they're legal. It's also not legal to turn without signaling, or to turn and shoot all the way to the farther lane (that's also stupid) but those things are done everywhere.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe I'll give my CCW and inform the cop I'm armed the next time I'm pulled over -- although the last time I was, I was let go without a ticket and I hadn't told him. I'm still on the fence about whether it's worth it, or more of a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Where in Florida are you at that U-turns are illegal?? As far as I can tell, it is the U-turn state.
    I had it bad in San Antonio, Tx. Almost every turn there was a "No Left Turn" sign. I thought to myself, "Maybe they're trying to crack down on 'Mexican U-turns'".

Stop went great. Thats how cops get their foot in the door is stopping for those minor infractions (lane change w/o a blinker, "roll" thru a stop sign, etc) and they lead to good busts.

I wait till I'm asked to produce ID before I go reaching into my pockets tho. I think me digging around would make most LEOs nervous even well before coming to a stop. When my wife and I were just dating, we were stopped (I wasnt armed), and she got a cell phone call. Started digging thru her purse to answer the phone, and I know the officer on her passenger side was ready to break leather. I schooled her after the fact on keeping LEOs "comfortable" during a stop.

Glad you werent hassled and had a positive outcome...
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Skippy, just remember, 2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 rights make a left.
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddae52 View Post
    I wait till I'm asked to produce ID before I go reaching into my pockets tho. I think me digging around would make most LEOs nervous even well before coming to a stop.

I forgot I wanted to touch on that subject.
    I wait motionless with the interior light on and my hands on the wheel until they approach. It's not like I can think of any pressing need or advantage of having my wallet out, especially if a cop watching me with a spotlight from behind is going to see me rummaging around!

I also don't lower the window until they approach.

I figure that a closed window is more of an indication that I'm not about to pop the muzzle of a gun out and shoot the cop as he approaches. If I were a cop I'd be more wary of a rolled-down window.

I have mentioned here several times that the last time I was pulled over, I was let go, and before the sheriff's deputy (Palm Beach County) let me go with no ticket, he THANKED ME for having my hands on the wheel and the light on as he approached.

It's also a good idea to make sure to shut off the car. Tells the cop that you're not about to rabbit. I'm sure there are people who are dumb enough to come to a stop, and maybe stay on the brake (whether they put the car into park or not) and that's gotta send up red flags to the cop...

Quote Originally Posted by CorpsVet View Post
    Clever...had never thought of it that way.

Mikl...

Nice ending to a 'not so nice experience'...nice sense of humor...wives don't appreciate that humor much...doesn't stop us though...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by CorpsVet View Post
    True....true.

But thats just too much. Didn't you realize that us hispanics have a tendency to go left a lot of times. I know I do. Where some people instinctively want to go right when they meet an obstacle, I have caught myself automatically going left.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I forgot I wanted to touch on that subject.
    I wait motionless with the interior light on and my hands on the wheel until they approach. It's not like I can think of any pressing need or advantage of having my wallet out, especially if a cop watching me with a spotlight from behind is going to see me rummaging around!

I also don't lower the window until they approach.

I figure that a closed window is more of an indication that I'm not about to pop the muzzle of a gun out and shoot the cop as he approaches. If I were a cop I'd be more wary of a rolled-down window.

I have mentioned here several times that the last time I was pulled over, I was let go, and before the sheriff's deputy (Palm Beach County) let me go with no ticket, he THANKED ME for having my hands on the wheel and the light on as he approached.
    I've actually had cops get pissy w/me for putting my keys on the roof of the car. I thought I was just doing one more thing to make them feel better.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Glad everything went well. Nextime scream DONT ShOOT. LOL
    Just kidding. Be safe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links