Another workplace policy interpretation

This is a discussion on Another workplace policy interpretation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As it is worded from Emloyee Handbook - "Firearms, weapons, and other dangerous or hazardous devices or substances are prohibited from the premises of XXX ...

Thread: Another workplace policy interpretation

As it is worded from Emloyee Handbook - "Firearms, weapons, and other dangerous or hazardous devices or substances are prohibited from the premises of XXX without proper authorization."

Who's the authorization supposed to be from? Just looking for others opinions. thanks.

The state that issued your permit would be enough "proper authorization" for me

1943 - 2009
    In the context of an Employee Handbook, "proper authorization" usually means company management.

It's most often the Human Resources Director, or the Safety Director, if the company has one.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Mmmmmm...
    Loosely defined, you've been authorized by the State of Michigan!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Um, Yeah, go ahead and ask the HR lady to authorise you to carry at work. You'll be mowing lawns by next week.

We give you authorization.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

If the shtf, you can't read more into written policy than it actually says.I'm of the opinion that your CPL is all you need. That being said,deep cover is advised and keep your mouth shut.

To give some more history: employer is a specialty med practice with contracts with some county prisons, so it is not uncommon to have a prisoner and guard in the facility at any given time. There is no limitation from the state and no posting signs. Just a workplace policy. Haven't been able to determine who is the authorizing party.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    If there's no legal restriction, you have to decide how valuable that job is to you? I might also ask a lawyer to read that and give you his opinion on whether you can reasonably expect your state-issued permit to be "proper authorization."

VIP Member
    I suspect if you can not work it out with management and someone sees the gun; your gone with bad references for future jobs.

VIP Member
    Well, as much as we would like to think otherwise, the authorizing agent is obviously the author of the document... the employer.

You can claim ignorance, but the bottom line is... do whatever you can afford!

I absolutely hate it but I can not carry at my place of employment, it's an instant termination if caught because their rules are a condition of employment I agreed to when I hired on.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    I suspect if you can not work it out with management and someone sees the gun; your gone with bad references for future jobs.
    +1 You'll be more of a pariah than most of the slobs in the medical field that have actually hurt someone. The fact that you routinely have convicts in there would be viewed as a glaring lack of common sense, should anything go awry. Say goodbye to any job in a position of trust.

Print out this post

By the powers vested in me by the internet, I do hearby authorize you to carry.

Good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15
    Good enough for me.
    So, are YOU going to give him a job if he gets fired?

See, that's the problem. Asking this question on the internet is really kind of a waste of time. Most states have "employment at will" laws nowadays. That means that you can quit anytime you want, for any reason at all. Isn't that nice? But it also means that your employer can fire you at anytime THEY want, also for any reason at all! (As long as it is not illegal discrimination.)

Hmm. Not so nice. Not so nice, but absolutely fair. (This, of course, assumes that you and your employer aren't bound by an employment contract that you both signed.)

So, the only one whose opinion matters in this case is the employer's. You can ask them and risk being told absolutely no, you cannot carry. Or you can keep it quiet, not ask, and risk being fired if they somehow find out.

Of course, the best possible outcome would be that you ask and they say, "Heck yes! We'd be GLAD to have you carry!" Unfortunately, I'm willing to bet that's not very likely.

Links