Defensive Carry banner

I need you guy's opinions

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  fed_wif_a_sig 
#1 ·
I am a grad student and I will be starting an internship with a certain federal law enforcement agency in January. I'm wondering should I carry while I'm at the internship (not while I'm at work there, but when on my own time). The state the internship is in has reciprocity with TX, but I guess I'm concerned with how they will see me if I have to clear leather for any reason. Of course there will police if I do, and of course I have to tell them. And I don't want them to see me as some cowboy, but at the same time, my safety is of utmost importance. I want to work for this particular agency when I'm done with my education and the internship so I must be careful to make a good impression. Not sure how to proceed. When I went through the security interview I disclosed that I have a CHL, and they gave me some heartache for it until I could explain why I had one. And don't even get me started on when they asked me how many guns I had!!! Huge can of worms! I know your first reaction will be to say carry at all times, but keep in mind, this is my career we're talking about. I am just starting out, and I have a chance to work for an agency that has been a life's dream.

What do you guys think?

#2 ·
"but I guess I'm concerned with how they will see me if I have to clear leather for any reason."
Naturally I hope the way they will see you will be "alive" and healthy :yup:

Hopefully if you ever DO need to clear leather it will not be for any reason.
It will be because you honestly feel that you are in grave/mortal danger of losing your life.
In my humble opinion you'll not be of very much use to your dream agency if you are not alive and healthy.
So I would continue to carry. It's only logical.

I'm sure that your agency wants to hire smart people and smart people do not walk around totally defenseless when they can just as easily be legally armed with the most effective means possible for defending life and limb.
Again...just my humble opinion. Your decision as to what you will ultimately do.

#3 ·
My brother n law was turned down by one the largest Sheriffs deptartments on the West Coast because he failed the pysch exam. It seems the person giving the exam kept probing him about guns and why he had so many etc... He was finally hired by SanBernardino, but my point is as stated above, if you aren't alive you won't be working anywhere, so carry when and where it is legal for you to do so, but don't even bring up the fact that you do to anyone. If somehow they did find out that you were legally carrying and held it against you in the hiring process, is this the type of dept you really want to work for? These are the types of depts that will hang their officers out to dry in a shooting, or something caught on tape and only a small piece of that tape hits the media. It is easier for them to do this than to support their officers and defend them. This is a no brainer for me, but I understand you are young and have dreams of working for this dept. but as I said before protect yourself first and then take what comes.
Be safe.

#4 ·
You may have to "feel them out" for a time.
Your CHL is valid so your within the law to carry.....when off work.
It's a Fed. agengy so that means Fed. property......that means NO firearms.
Personal safty is always a priority, but you have to weigh a possiable career with 'em too so look-up the laws of the state and your agency rules of conduct, etc....that'll start you off in the direction you need to go.

I work on Fed. property too........it is a pain.

#5 ·
I'm puzzled...

When I went through the security interview I disclosed that I have a CHL, and they gave me some heartache for it until I could explain why I had one. And don't even get me started on when they asked me how many guns I had!!! Huge can of worms!
Why is it any of their business that you have a CHL and own guns? Both are legal activities practiced by millions of honest citizens.

#7 ·
That life long dream doesn't amount to much if you aren't alive to realize it. I would be very discrete about it and not say anything to the folks in the office. If asked directly, answer honestly, but I would not bring it up in conversation.

#8 ·
So, are you worried about the ramifications with your company or with local LE? If it's a legal shoot and you are legal to carry, I wouldn't sweat over LE. And I see no reason why your company needs to know the details... you were attacked by a criminal, and barely got away with your life. How you got away is none of their business.

#12 ·
I assume you brought up that you had a permit, or did they ask? My opinion is that if you are legal, then why shouldn't you carry. I agree with others, that it seems you are of more value to them alive and uninjured than the alternative. I would see taking personal responsibility for your life and actions as a positive.

Maybe you can change their attitudes/perceptions through your actions. You are in a position to show them that permit holders are by and large GGs.

#14 ·
Well... a part of the security interview was the question: Do you own any firearms? I guess in the interest of being thorough, I said yes, and I also said I have a CHL. Now was this a mistake, who knows, but keep in mind, in order for me to have gotten my CHL I had to pass several background checks. I figured they'd find out anyway, especially if they find it necessary to ask do I own any firearms. Its a law enforcement agency, so i can see their rationale in asking questions of this nature. The entire background check lasts 10-12 months, and they check everything, so I wanted to be completely up-front with all info.

#15 ·
As for the original question, I would say yes, go ahead and carry during your time away from work. If you are forced to use it during your internship, and you have come to know the people your working with, they will be glad that you kept yourself safe. This is a Federal Law Enforcement Agency after all. Keep it to yourself, and get a feel of the people your working with. You might just find out that there are others there that are into shooting and find a range buddy during your internship. But let them bring it up. Be a good listener, and you will find out soon enough if there are shooters where your going to be working.

As far as disclosure, you sure better put everything up on the table up front. If the background checks are as extensive as you say, that would certainly be a good way to NOT be getting the job that you have dreamed of.

Anyway, your call, do what you feel best for your future.

#16 ·
How about a gal's opinion?

If it's your time, it's your time.

As long as you are at work, depending on where you work, you may not be able to carry at all (provided you do work on federal property and given the carry laws of your state), but on your own time, no one but the state should have say over what you decide to do.

Now, I know there are professions were individuals can get in trouble at work for things that they did on their own time, but you legally concealing and carrying your own firearm, within the scope of the law should not be one of them.

Life isn't always fair. Sometimes we get in trouble for things we shouldn't and sometimes it costs us a lot to do what we feel is the right thing, but that's a decision only you can make. You are the only one who can evenly assess the weigh on these scales.

Is your life worth your job or is your job worth your life?

#17 ·
Yes it was a mistake for you to "add" to the answer. When you work for the feds (in any position) do not go into to detail when answering a application question unless it specifically tells you to.

Carrying a firearm on your own time under a properly licensed CCL is none of the agencies business, unless you mix it with your work. Such as broadcasting that your work for XYZ while displaying your weapon, or bringing the weapon onto federal property.

Our administrative folks routinely possess CCLs but that is their business and none of the agencies, unless they get into an incident that involves the local authorities (except for a minor traffic citation) and then most federal agencies have a mandatory disclosure policy.

Finally, you bringing up the fact that you carry, is more likely to bring up the cowboy image, just by you addidng it to the answer, than not mentioning it. The only time you should mention that you carry a weapon is if you are in direct contact with an LEO during the course of him/her initiating contact with you due to a traffic stop or investigative stop, otherwise, keep it concealed both the weapon and the fact that you actually carry one.

Oh and if the three letter agency wanted to know if you have a CCL, its real easy for them to find out. They'll know about the license as soon as they run your name through the criminal history database, as all fingerprint request send to up are listed in it, weither as an applicant, security clearance, arrest, conviction, CCL, professional license or military application.

Wish you well, but me thinks you oops on your answer, but I wouldnt suggest you give up your carry, no reason to, as long as you dont take it onto federal property, into restricted locations (such as Wash DC) ect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.