Why I carry a gun

Why I carry a gun

This is a discussion on Why I carry a gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is an awesome article: Link Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to ...

Thread: Why I carry a gun

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Why I carry a gun

This is an awesome article: Link

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or forcing me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that’s it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat, or employment, of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gag banger, and a single gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we’d be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger’s potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat–it has no validity when most of a mugger’s potential marks are armed. People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that’s the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there’s the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don’t constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that’s as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn’t work as well as a force equalizer if it weren’t both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

good good read. i love the last part.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

VIP Member
    Interesting... thanks!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Excellent article!
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

This is a powerful and moving essay, however it is not by Maj. Caudill.

The piece was written by Marko Kloos, a German immigrant and popular RKBA blogger: http://munchkinwrangler.blogspot.com...ilization.html

Here is a post addressing the mis-attribution: http://munchkinwrangler.blogspot.com...lagiarism.html

I believe he is happy to have the article reprinted with correct attribution, but I can't find where I read that.

It's a fantastic essay, and credit is definitely due Mr. Kloos!

Joe

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I think it's popped up here before, but it's a good read nontheless. You would think that such a simple concept would be intuitive to everyone, but sadly this is not the case. But if there is any way to explain the need to be armed, this is it.

A very sensible explanation of why "an armed society is a polite society" and a good read for those who need an explanation of why we carry.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

One point that I too have been trying to make as often as possible is when he said, "People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don’t constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst." We have had two people here in MN killed from a single blow from a fist in the past year. Any violent confrontation can be lethal and should be viewed as such in my opinion.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    We have had two people here in MN killed from a single blow from a fist in the past year. Any violent confrontation can be lethal and should be viewed as such in my opinion.
    Do you have links to those reports?
    I collect such references. Thanks

--Travis--

Very good points...
    And, an armed society...IS a polite society...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Unfortunately I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    Do you have links to those reports?
    I collect such references. Thanks

--Travis--
    I know I read about them in the Star Tribune. One was a kid that punched another kid in a school yard type fight and killed the kid with a single blow. The other was a guy who tried to break up some trouble makers on a bus, got hit in the face and fell out of the bus backwards hitting his hear on the ground which killed him. I will try to research it futher for you but am not having any luck so far.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Good post

One point that I too have been trying to make as often as possible is when he said, "People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don’t constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst." We have had two people here in MN killed from a single blow from a fist in the past year. Any violent confrontation can be lethal and should be viewed as such in my opinion.
    I agree and am constantly amazed that people don't realized the seriousness of people being beaten, esp. with objects.

A friend of my father was mugged while vacationing in Spain. The mugger's approach (which I hear is fairly common) was to thump him in the head with a blunt object several times (two big guys), then grab his stuff.

As a result, he had memory problems, needed PT and was basically pretty messed up. It took him over a year before he could function fairly normally IIRC.

How can you not understand that if someone takes a bat to your head and you might die?

And even if you don't die outright, your brain can be damaged and you might never be the same again. You might lose your eyesight, or any number of very serious medical issues.

Very impressive essay BTW.

-john

Found one for you.

I know I read about them in the Star Tribune. One was a kid that punched another kid in a school yard type fight and killed the kid with a single blow. The other was a guy who tried to break up some trouble makers on a bus, got hit in the face and fell out of the bus backward hitting his hear on the ground which killed him. I will try to research it further for you but am not having any luck so far.
    http://www.startribune.com/467/story/1445356.html

This refers to the guy who was hit and in return hit his head killing him. I thought it took place on a bus but apparently it didn't.

Sponsored Links