H.R. 218 problems?

H.R. 218 problems?

This is a discussion on H.R. 218 problems? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a retired L.E.O., I am authorized to carry under H.R. 218. I have complied with all the requirements (qualifying in accordance with the state ...

Thread: H.R. 218 problems?

H.R. 218 problems?

As a retired L.E.O., I am authorized to carry under H.R. 218. I have complied with all the requirements (qualifying in accordance with the state standards each year). In order to eliminate any confusion when encountered by an police officer not familiar with H.R. 218, I also have a Virginia Concealed Weapons Permit (free to me in Va.).

However, I am interested in any problems individuals may have encountered in carrying concealed weapons under the authority of H.R. 218. For example, I have heard that New York will seize the weapon pending verification of your credentials.

On the other hand, the Attorney General of Florida has issued an opinion regarding the support of H.R. 218 and cautioning police officers not to over react when encountering an individual authorized to carry under H.R. 218.

LEOSA has been law for over 3 yrs now. How many incidents have you heard of? Has your FOP, PBA, or any other LE organization or magazine provided any specific cases where these weapons have been seized or arrests made? Nope, and you won't either. Hasn't happened.
    The NYPD thing you are referring to was based on a memo from NYPD command that has been convoluted and morphed by those who in our profession who unfortunately have little to do but stir the pot or who are incapable of reading and understanding. What the memo said that was distributed to NYPD members was if they encounter a person who claimed to be a LEO from another jurisdiction and they were unable to verify the status of the person then they had the option of bringing the person to the station for verification. What's surprising is NYPD command felt the need to have to tell their officers to do that. Just how was that any different than proceedures pre-LEOSA? If you stopped anyone who claimed to be a LEO but didn't have ID and had no other way to prove it, what would you have done? But the usual internet crowd took that memo to say that all out of jurisdiction LEOs were to be taken to the station. It said no such thing.
    As far as a jurisdiction "ignoring" LEOSA. During your time as a LEO did you ever ignore a federal law and arrest someone even tho you knew they weren't breaking any law? How long of a career do you think you would have had?
    Quit believing the internet rumors. LEOSA was signed 07/22/04 but what's amazing is we still have cops asking these same questions. Surely no LEO is so gullible to keep believing all the internet and gun shop stories. We're trained to question everything we're told from the public yet when these rumors persist concerning LEOSA it makes me wonder how some cops managed to investigate any crimes in their careers and solve any crimes.

Very well stated ISP.

Thanks for the response and clarification. FYI, I spent 7 years with a local PD and then 28 years in federal law enforcement.

Have to agree with ISP, haven't heard first hand report one from friends and buddies whom carry under 218, Jersey and NY have question a couple of guys, but down my way {Tidewater} most agencies issue firearm qual cards with all info needed, once shown has been no problem.....

Good idea on the VA CCW,,have told my guys and gals for years to do the same,as my department isn't well known with in its own state and or local levels

Even pre-LEOSA I questioned a few who flashed the badge. Just flashing the badge doesn't mean the person holding the badge is necessarily legit. During my career I made a couple of arrests for impersonation when things just didn't quite feel right about them. Most of the time legit LEOs are pretty easy to identify. Doesn't take much conversation to figure out who is legit and talks the job. Most of the time legit ones were easily IDed and they went right on down the road doing whatever it was they were doing and going wherever they were going. It's the ones who just didn't feel right who got to stay and visit a bit longer until their ID could be confirmed or a phone call could be made. Two of those got to go visit real LEOs and see a real jail. I never could figure out why either of them tried passing themselves off as LEOs. I can only guess they thought they'd flash some tin and nothing more would be said.

Senior Moderator
    Where I am at we didnt really need LEOSA. If you had a bagde and ID we didnt care where you were from we just let ya go as long as you werent being stupid. About the only thing I can see change from it is that the retired guys are a bit better off. If we ever doubted someone, a simple call to Dispatch to have them call would make things clear in a hurry.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sponsored Links