Concealed carry insurance?

This is a discussion on Concealed carry insurance? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to CC, just got my license a few weeks ago. This has had me thinking about what would happen if I had to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry insurance?

Concealed carry insurance?

I'm new to CC, just got my license a few weeks ago. This has had me thinking about what would happen if I had to use my pistol. I have read a lot of books and many talk about how the aftermath can be very costly in terms of court costs and lawyers, even if you are 100% in the right.

Is there such a thing as CC insurance? I would think with the tens of thousands of CC permits there are, and the very few incidents that require a lawyer it would be quite inexpensive to insure your self. Couldn't an organization be set up that we could pay a yearly fee into, and they would hire a lawyer on your behalf off an approved list that would help defend you if you ever had to use your weapon?

If no one has done this I call it! Don't go sneaking around behind my back trying to make a buck LOL

Scott

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I'd put some startup cash into an organization like that. I'm a little busy to take part in running it, and I'm no business major either. But I definitely think it could be a good business investment.

I only wonder how the anti-gunners would twist it into yet another reason we are all hazards to our communities

But I'm all for it, and not only would I be an investor, I'd be a member to!
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

New Member Array austin-tatious's Avatar
    FWIW, I found this service:

http://www.chlpp.com/home.html

through The Texas Concealed Handgun Association (TCHA) web page.

Quote Originally Posted by austin-tatious View Post
    FWIW, I found this service:

http://www.chlpp.com/home.html

through The Texas Concealed Handgun Association (TCHA) web page.
    Great, thanks for that link, and I can get coverage in Oklahoma. I'll have to do a bit more research, but for as low at 100 a year it seems like a fair deal.

Scott

And check around for prepaid legal services. Some of the lawyers who participate may include self defense cases.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Yep , NRA offers Self Defense coverage through this company.

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/selfdefense.asp
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Take a close look at those that offer this, other than the NRA. I suspect that this should fall under state insurance guidelines. Who underwrites, what kinds of reserves have they set up?

Regardless of any state regulations, this won't do you much good, if there is not a sufficient financial resource backing this.

Don't want to pay your dues/premiums for X number of years, only to find your provider is bankrupt or financially unable to pay out.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Quote Originally Posted by stewartjwnls View Post
    Take a close look at those that offer this, other than the NRA. I suspect that this should fall under state insurance guidelines. Who underwrites, what kinds of reserves have they set up?

Regardless of any state regulations, this won't do you much good, if there is not a sufficient financial resource backing this.

Don't want to pay your dues/premiums for X number of years, only to find your provider is bankrupt or financially unable to pay out.
    Yeah, that is what I was talking about when I said I had to research it. If the NRA offers something its probably the best bet. I have seen that this company paid out for legal defense for at least one guy in Texas.

Scott

How much for the NRA policy?
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I researched this for almost a year, and the Locton Risk NRA partnership is about the best offered. One thing you'll find is that your homeowner's policy, even with and additional umbrella rider doesn't cover the use of a weapon in self defense...I can recommend the Lockton Risk policy.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Do you need coverage for each person, or will one policy cover both me and my wife?

wj

NRA Insurance

$50,000 Defense (If found not guilty)
    $100,000 Liability or $200,000 Liability (wrongfull death)

$165.00 For $100,000 do not have the figures for 200,000.

My homeowner's policy DOES cover me if I'm not doing anything illegal in the process of defending myself. I'm told that this is boilerplate policy language, used by every insurer in the business except State Farm.

Our club, Wolf Creek IDPA, does add umbrella coverage for self-defense for club officers, but my agent advised me not to buy additional coverage on my own unless I had State Farm.

S'what I hear,
    HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by wj View Post
    $50,000 Defense (If found not guilty)
    $100,000 Liability or $200,000 Liability (wrongfull death)

$165.00 For $100,000 do not have the figures for 200,000.
    So thats 165 a year? Does that cover other family members as well? And I assume being the NRA it would transfer from state to state as you travel or move to other states with concealed carry.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links