When flying what to do with ammo?

This is a discussion on When flying what to do with ammo? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do I have to lock the ammo up in a case? I read the TSA regs and SWA's policy and I think as long as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do I have to lock the ammo up in a case? I read the TSA regs and SWA's policy and I think as long as it is in the orignial container it came it it shoudl be okay. I don't need it in a locked container do I?

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I've never kept my ammo in a locked case when I fly, only the gun. I do however, lock the bag's zipper, but that doesn't count for anyone who really wants to get in.

As long as the ammo is in it's original container, you're good to go. I would recommend taping the ends shut as well, just in case.

Assistant Administrator
    My approach last was to put 50 rounds into an MTM box, secured with a rubber band - and that was wrapped in a shirt to stop it moving around. The gun was of course in its locked case.

Three TSA stops during flight changes etc and all seemed acceptable.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Check the regs of the state you are LANDING in. If they require the ammo to be in a separate, hard-sided case, then you will have to do that or else you are in violation of that state's laws the second you land.

Usually, when flying, I keep the ammo separate in hard-sided ammo boxes. OOOORRRR I just don't take ammo. I buy it once I land. But that's up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Check the regs of the state you are LANDING in. If they require the ammo to be in a separate, hard-sided case, then you will have to do that or else you are in violation of that state's laws the second you land.
    I've never heard of individual states having regulations regarding ammo on planes. Everything I've heard of has been TSA or airline regs. Do you have a source where one could look up such info?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I've never heard of individual states having regulations regarding ammo on planes. Everything I've heard of has been TSA or airline regs. Do you have a source where one could look up such info?
    It's not that the state has any power over what you do on the plane, it's that once you touch down you are now in the state's jurisdiction and subject to that state's laws concerning transportation of firearms. If transportation requires that the ammo be in a hard sided, separate case, it should be that way when you land. If not, you might find yourself explaining yourself to security in case you should be stopped.

TSA regs are what is required while on the plane, state carry/transportation laws are what's required once you land, and since you can't make changes in flight, it's best just to start out in the right.

Now, if you have reciprocity with that state, then the most you have to abide by is TSA standards, but remember that a state's transportation/carry regs can be more strict than TSA regs (New Jersey or California for instance) and should be adhered to.

It's not that the state has any power over what you do on the plane, it's that once you touch down you are now in the state's jurisdiction and subject to that state's laws concerning transportation of firearms. If transportation requires that the ammo be in a hard sided, separate case, it should be that way when you land. If not, you might find yourself explaining yourself to security in case you should be stopped.

TSA regs are what is required while on the plane, state carry/transportation laws are what's required once you land, and since you can't make changes in flight, it's best just to start out in the right.
    Makes sense. I had just never heard of any laws on the state level dealing with intra-state transport of guns or ammo (outside of NFA items).

I'm in PA and flying to FL, so my LTCF is okay in FL.. This ste is great thanks for all the info.

Last time I flew I made sure that my bag looked like no one else's.
    In Phoenix , anyone has access to the baggage turnstyle. wich means that anyone has access to your baggage.

I secured the locks with aluminum tape, I used yellow 3 inch wide tape to make an X on each side. . It was very easy to distinguish it from the other two , just like it.

I saw three people pick up the wrong bag.

also , put your info on the exterior and inside with the guns and ammo.

three semi loads of "Lost or "unclaimed" baggage roll into the unclaimed baggage store every week.

VIP Member
    I can't find anything about needing to transport ammo in a hard locked case. I'd hate to live in whatever state that came up with that rule.

Anyway, I usually put the ammo in a plastic no-name ammo box and stuff it in a shoe (Luckily I have large feet- I could probably fit about a case of 12 gauge in a shoe if I needed to!).

My bag isn't going to be mistaken for anyone else's bag, so at least I don't have that worry.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

...I buy it once I land...
    Yep. For commercial stuff that is readily available, I can't see any reason to lug it around. But then again, I am notoriously lazy.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

If you know where you are going to be staying, it might be easier to just send yourself a box of ammo UPS ground for only a few bucks, and transport the gun unloaded on the airline trip. When you get to your hotel, your package should be waiting for you.

DITTO!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I've never kept my ammo in a locked case when I fly, only the gun. I do however, lock the bag's zipper, but that doesn't count for anyone who really wants to get in.

As long as the ammo is in it's original container, you're good to go. I would recommend taping the ends shut as well, just in case.

It can be in one of those plastic cases made for ammo too but I use the original container.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by fairway1 View Post
    Do I have to lock the ammo up in a case? I read the TSA regs and SWA's policy and I think as long as it is in the orignial container it came it it shoudl be okay. I don't need it in a locked container do I?
    Hi,

I have been flying United and Frontier from Denver to Albuquerque and Denver to Indianapolis with no problems. The TSA and United’s regulations state that the ammo can be in the magazines, so I put the loaded magazines into mag pouchs with rubber bands holding them in, locked in the same hardsided case, which is stored in (and cabled to) my soft sided case.

TSA Regs state in part that:
    • You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
    • You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
    • You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.
    Here is the link to the regulations:
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

I had to go unarmed flying out of Newark, NJ. NJ has very draconian gun laws, including illegal to possess hollow point ammo.

Cheers,
    MickGIS

I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Cpl. Dwayne Hicks
    United States Colonial Marine Corps

Hello!
    Its news to me that you can carry ammo or any potential explosive in check in bags. Also, My ex- son-in-law declared his firearms at the CO Springs airport. His property did not make it to his destination. Finally, as an ex-aircontroller, All airports come under Federal jurisdiction (The FBI may get involved on airport property) So, does this mean that State law may not hold force within airport bounds? TIA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links