The "man" and myself

This is a discussion on The "man" and myself within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had just pulled up to my friends house and while I was sitting in my truck at approx 2100 a police officer lights me ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "man" and myself

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

The "man" and myself

I had just pulled up to my friends house and while I was sitting in my truck at approx 2100 a police officer lights me up w/ the spot light. This doesn't sound that bad except for the fact that I'm in my truck taking the mag and chambered round out of the gun (one of the freinds doesn't like OWB carry, so i unchamber it and keep it IWB). My first reaction is to throw the gun in my bag b/c the LEO prlly thinks I'm about to rob this house, but I remebered what I had learned here and that is to stay calm and focus on everyones saftey. So i put my hands on my steeringwheel and before I know it the LEO just takes off. Yay me right?

NOPE! The LEO loops back around (by this time i'm out of my truck walking toward the front door with gun at 12 o'clock IWB) The leo hits me up w/ the spot light agian, by this time i'm thinking what gives?? Well the strobes came on and I just reached for the sky. The LEO steps out of the cruiser and before he can say a word...

"officer, i feel you should know that I am armed"
    "Well thank you for telling me that son, earlier tonight an officer had to shoot a suspect that drew a weapon"

So we go about the whole business of handcuffing me, disarming me, putting the bullets in my truck (sly manuver for scoping my truck out) THe weird part is I never really figured out why any of it happened, I was just so releaved that I hadn't gotten into anytrouble for not doing anything wrong that I just said well "lesson learned guys thanks", when it was all over. I'm really dissapointed that I got nervous because I didn't do anything wrong, yet I could tell the LEO's were bummed out they wern't going to get to haul me off. Who knows, the only thing i thought they were going to nab me on is the fact that I am only 20 and was carryin IWB for like 15 feet into my buddies house. To my defense I did have the book "Arizona Gun Ownerds Guide" so atleast that could prove I was making an attempt to be a law abbiding citizen?

Anyway a big thanks to everyone who shared thier LEO encounters b/c I know that I am alive and not in jail becuase of what I learned here
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I've had a few LEO encounters since I started carrying. I've found that as long as you are respectful, let them know you're legally armed, and follow a few simple steps, such as keeping your hands on the wheel, everything seems to go smoothly.

Administrator
    Once the situation is cool and everybody is all calm you sure can ask the LEO why you were stopped or approached.
    It's perfectly logical to want an answer as to why the event occurred in the first place.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    So we go about the whole business of handcuffing me, disarming me, putting the bullets in my truck (sly manuver for scoping my truck out)
    I haven't had the "pleasure" of an encounter yet, but is that handcuff thing normal, or just because of the circumstances (time of day, other incident)? I guess I never considered how the LEO would part me from my firearm, in the event he felt it necessary.

"Now, with two fingers of your weak side hand, slowly reach over and grasp the weapon by the grip, gently removing it from the holster..."

Cheers!

harleyb

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Arguably ( Going strictly by your account ) , you were illegally detained.

NEVER volunteer information to a police officer unless asked
    directly, or if the law requires re. a CCW

If you were on private property the officer would have probably
    just asked you your business there - UNTIL you blabbed about
    your weapon.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

He had no business to cuff you! If I were you I'd complain like mad to his commanders. You were not doing a thing that deserved that treatment.

Larry

Be really careful guys. This has the potential of becoming a copbashing thread very quickly and the moderators had to shut one of those down yesterday. The officer was doing his job investigating what he felt was suspicious activity while the OP was in his truck. He then got a better vantage point and decided to make contact with him after he had gotten out of the vehicle. If the OP was carrying "Mexican" at the 12 oclock it would be very easily seen by the LEO and would raise a red flag for me in the dark if I was him. The OP advising he was armed was the right thing to do to potentially keep from getting drawn down on. Let's face it...carrying at 12 without a holster does not portray a responsible CCW holder right away. The officer cuffing him and removing a very easily accessed weapon and not knowing if their was more than one as the OP did not specify or announce location, is for the officer's safety and is not an atypical procedure. The OP does not sound upset...so let's not poke a stick in the hornet's nest.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Who knows, the only thing i thought they were going to nab me on is the fact that I am only 20 and was carryin IWB for like 15 feet into my buddies house. To my defense I did have the book "Arizona Gun Ownerds Guide" so atleast that could prove I was making an attempt to be a law abbiding citizen?
    Am I taking this wrong.....Do you have a CCW permit? I'm guessing, no, from what you are saying. If you do have a permit there is not much I can add, but if you don't then you are a very lucky young man to have been released by the LEO. Carrying a concealed, loaded, firearm without a permit in the state of Tennessee is a Class A Felony. Not only would you be facing felony charges, your chance of ever getting a CCW permit would be gone. If you do not have a permit, do not carry a firearm until you do!
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

THe weird part is I never really figured out why any of it happened ...
    Were you not told why you were being detained, or what they were looking for?

Very likely, they had a suspect on the loose in the area, knew who he was or at least had a good description, and simply found you were not that guy. But, that's all a guess.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Did you ever think that the officer went the other way so that you would get out of the vehicle and he would have a clear view of your actions, instead of trying to approach you while inside your vehicle with some concealment or flight issues there. That was a pretty smart move on the officers part as far as I am concerned.

How far away was the officer when he lit you up? The next house, 10 houses away? He may not have ever seen what you were doing inside your truck.

I definately would have asked the officer, "what is the problem officer" to find out just why I was being looked at. That would explain a lot more under these circumstances.

Anyway, it appears that everything went well, and you had a possitive encounter with the LEO. Next time your out and about maybe he will remember you as one of the good guys. I don't feel that the officer did anything wrong in the short time all of this took place. Like others have mentioned, you or your vehicle might have come close to the description of someone they were looking for.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

When carrying concealed, unless it's requred by law in the state, there's no point in blurting out "I'm armed"...unless it's relevant to what's going on or if asked, you're doing nothing wrong, so why act like you are....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Sounds to me like both you and the officer acted exactly right. Can you imagine a police officer NOT investigating if he saw a person handling a handgun in a residential neighborhood? And, for that matter, handcuffing a person "of interest" is the safest thing for both officer and "suspect" (until the officer clarifies the situation). In my judgment, you did exactly the right thing by immediately informing the officer that you were (legally) armed. Nobody was endangered. Nobody got hurt. And your reaction probably helped our cause.

These kinds of interactions are going to happen. I think you BOTH "done good".

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n_America View Post
    Am I taking this wrong.....Do you have a CCW permit? I'm guessing, no, from what you are saying. If you do have a permit there is not much I can add, but if you don't then you are a very lucky young man to have been released by the LEO. Carrying a concealed, loaded, firearm without a permit in the state of Tennessee is a Class A Felony. Not only would you be facing felony charges, your chance of ever getting a CCW permit would be gone. If you do not have a permit, do not carry a firearm until you do!
    Difference in AZ Law VS TN law here (My understanding, with a good grasp on TN) is that AZ law allows for those with out permits to carry as long as they are 2 actions away from firing. hence the reason he emptied his chamber.. Once he hit private property though he was legal and if the cop Knowing he was armed ordered him off he then had to comply there by being legal.

YMMV
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I'm going to call the Tempe police and figure out why i was initailly pulled over, i'm very curious.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

OK folks, what am I missing? Why were you detained/handcuffed? What's not being said in the post?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links