Defensive Carry banner

Attempted break in, while the wife was home

2K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  echo5tango 
#1 ·
I had been working out of town for a few days, and on my way home this afternoon, the wife informed me that someone tried to kick the front door in this morning . She was just minutes from leaving to go to work, heard the dogs barking, then saw a man doing his best to get the front door open. She grabbed my .45 and the phone and called her dad( who lives 300 yrds from us). The guy gave up as he apparently heard my father in laws approach, and went out back into the woods. She said she thought she was done for. Im not exactly clear on the kentucky castle doctrine. Does the bad guy have to be inside the home to use force? front porch? yard? garage?:mad:

#3 ·
glad everything worked out, and at least she had a last line of defense. Did she file a police report?

#4 ·
Thats what i was thinking. One small dog in the house, the other one that was outside, is a bassett hound, not much of a threat. She couldnt see his face, just had dark hair, and was wearing a lite colored flannel. My work van is normally parked in the drive way, so someone has noticed it was gone for several days.

#6 ·
Glad she was on her toes. Was Dad packin when he came over? Should she have called the cops first? God bless your family and may he keep you all safe.

#8 ·
If pops was only 300 yds away I'm pretty sure he'd be able to get there before the cops. At least in most areas.
When seconds count, cops take longer to get there?:rolleyes:

#21 ·
I am sure pops is a good and capable man.

I doubt, however, than he can scent-track. :image035:

A very fresh trail, this could well have ended with an arrest if the police had been called and they have a good dog / handler team.

Matt

#9 ·
Kicking in my front door will probably get you shot...where you stand (or in the kicking position) so to speak...:yup:
I would advise checking with KY law...then start making a pile of used shell casings just inside of the front door.:scruntiny:

OMO, of course...

It is good that all worked out well!

#10 ·
She did a great job. While calling the police (after her dad, I agree that he would be faster) would have been a good idea for later, the fact that she was both comfortable grabbing the gun, and had the presence of mind to do so is great. I hope that should a similar situation occurs at my home, my wife will grab one of the several guns hidden in the house.

#11 ·
Glad she is alright. Your father in law would have gotten there quicker more than likely. Now you still need to notify the police. While they can not do any about this particular incident they should no it occurred. They can give extra patrols to your neighborhood. By the way your wife did just fine and she deserves a "little" reward, treat her to something nice.

#13 ·
Glad she is OK.

I'll jump on the bandwagon tho and say she should have called the police after calling her father.

While her dad was her best bet for her immediate safety, the police may have been able to rustle the guy out of the woods.

While having her safe is obviously first priority there was a missed potential to put the guy in jail.

Personally, I think it would still be worth a police report. While it doesn't help you personally, it might help the police.

In any case, hopefully these close calls help us learn lessons without actually getting hurt.

Black Knight's suggestion of getting her something nice is a good one!

Again, glad it turned out OK.

-john

#14 ·
The police should be notified of the incident, not only to begin keeping an eye out, but to establish that there is a documented threat in the area should it come to a shooting incident if he comes back. It wouldn't look too good if your wife later shot this clown and then reported that it had happened before but nobody called the cops.

#15 ·
So glad your wife is OK. That one is too close a call. One reason I am glad my wife is armed as bad buys are out there.
I concur, all the police, and go to a higher state of home security for at least a week or two, as the guy might try to come back. Keep porch lights on, add extra deadbolts, CHECK DOOR FOR DAMAGE, and look for attempted entry elsewhere.
I concur a police report is in order, and alert neighbors to incident, the perp might go there next.

#17 ·
Good for her, she did great. I too live in an area where police presence can take a looooong time, even though there is a deputy who lives down the road, it is not in an area that gets any patroling. Our local LEO's are so poorly trained I have little faith they would actually find the perp. but I would at least file the report so you have a record. Notifying your neighbors was a stand up action on your part. Glad y'all are safe.

#20 ·
Glad everything turned out okay and the wife is safe.

I will agree with everyone else on the police report.

God Bless you for sharing with your neighbors too. That is what neighbors should do.

p.s. Get a bigger dog.

#23 ·
As everyone else I am glad that everything is okay this time. If he did it once it may happen again.

My wife knows where our home defense guns are and is very good at using them. She is not afraid to use them and gave my brother the knowledge that he needs to call before coming over to work in the garage. Everything worked out fine, and she didn't pull it on him but I am just glad that she had the forward thinking to get it out and take it with her, even though she thought that it was a family member. The dog didn't bark when the door opened but signaled that a "friend" was there.

#25 ·
i, too, am glad everyone ended up being ok, if a little "adrenalized". what kind of door/locks defeated this miscreant?

what strikes me is the apparent "casing" or patterning of your movements. i think this is a good point/lesson all can draw upon; vary your comings and goings so you don't present an easily patterned soft target.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.