Attempted break in, while the wife was home

This is a discussion on Attempted break in, while the wife was home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had been working out of town for a few days, and on my way home this afternoon, the wife informed me that someone tried ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attempted break in, while the wife was home

I had been working out of town for a few days, and on my way home this afternoon, the wife informed me that someone tried to kick the front door in this morning . She was just minutes from leaving to go to work, heard the dogs barking, then saw a man doing his best to get the front door open. She grabbed my .45 and the phone and called her dad( who lives 300 yrds from us). The guy gave up as he apparently heard my father in laws approach, and went out back into the woods. She said she thought she was done for. Im not exactly clear on the kentucky castle doctrine. Does the bad guy have to be inside the home to use force? front porch? yard? garage?

Im glad to hear that your wife is ok. Strange that the BG heard the dogs and still tried to get in.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    glad everything worked out, and at least she had a last line of defense. Did she file a police report?

Thats what i was thinking. One small dog in the house, the other one that was outside, is a bassett hound, not much of a threat. She couldnt see his face, just had dark hair, and was wearing a lite colored flannel. My work van is normally parked in the drive way, so someone has noticed it was gone for several days.

no police report. After her dad showed up, he sent her to work, while he continued to check things out.

Glad she was on her toes. Was Dad packin when he came over? Should she have called the cops first? God bless your family and may he keep you all safe.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

The cops should have been called. They might have been able to nab the guy.

Thankfully your wife wasn't hurt or subjected to any additional stress by having to shoot!

God bless,

Larry

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

If pops was only 300 yds away I'm pretty sure he'd be able to get there before the cops. At least in most areas.
    When seconds count, cops take longer to get there?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Kicking in my front door will probably get you shot...where you stand (or in the kicking position) so to speak...
    I would advise checking with KY law...then start making a pile of used shell casings just inside of the front door.

OMO, of course...

It is good that all worked out well!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    She did a great job. While calling the police (after her dad, I agree that he would be faster) would have been a good idea for later, the fact that she was both comfortable grabbing the gun, and had the presence of mind to do so is great. I hope that should a similar situation occurs at my home, my wife will grab one of the several guns hidden in the house.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Glad she is alright. Your father in law would have gotten there quicker more than likely. Now you still need to notify the police. While they can not do any about this particular incident they should no it occurred. They can give extra patrols to your neighborhood. By the way your wife did just fine and she deserves a "little" reward, treat her to something nice.

Thank goodness your wife was alright and had the presence of mind to arm herself; you should file a police report though, to let them know a BG is possibly stalking the area.
    Stay Safe.

Glad she is OK.

I'll jump on the bandwagon tho and say she should have called the police after calling her father.

While her dad was her best bet for her immediate safety, the police may have been able to rustle the guy out of the woods.

While having her safe is obviously first priority there was a missed potential to put the guy in jail.

Personally, I think it would still be worth a police report. While it doesn't help you personally, it might help the police.

In any case, hopefully these close calls help us learn lessons without actually getting hurt.

Black Knight's suggestion of getting her something nice is a good one!

Again, glad it turned out OK.

-john

The police should be notified of the incident, not only to begin keeping an eye out, but to establish that there is a documented threat in the area should it come to a shooting incident if he comes back. It wouldn't look too good if your wife later shot this clown and then reported that it had happened before but nobody called the cops.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    So glad your wife is OK. That one is too close a call. One reason I am glad my wife is armed as bad buys are out there.
    I concur, all the police, and go to a higher state of home security for at least a week or two, as the guy might try to come back. Keep porch lights on, add extra deadbolts, CHECK DOOR FOR DAMAGE, and look for attempted entry elsewhere.
    I concur a police report is in order, and alert neighbors to incident, the perp might go there next.
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links