People on Motorcycles???

People on Motorcycles???

This is a discussion on People on Motorcycles??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK so here in KY everyone that has a bike is out on one these days because its hotter than you know what... So I ...

Thread: People on Motorcycles???

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar

People on Motorcycles???

OK so here in KY everyone that has a bike is out on one these days because its hotter than you know what... So I didnt think anything of it or about it until today at the gun store I had a biker come in with his backpack full of what he was going to shoot and stuff.. Then he asked to sign up for the Concealed course.. This got my hamster spinning the wheel in my head..

Is it still considered Concealed Carry for a biker to have guns and ammo in their "backpacks" since there is technically no trunk or glovebox... How would they go about this without a license??
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Unless they want to ban gun transport by motorcycle, I think as long as the guns are unloaded and maybe the rounds in one bag and the guns in another it should be fine. Better yet just buy your rounds at the range.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member
    My bike has a lockable trunk, so I would put it in there, locked in the trunk. If I was riding something that did not have a trunk and using a back-pack, well I would run one of those cable-locks that they send out with all new guns through it and make sure that the gun and mag were empty.

I imagine unless you were in Louisville or Lexington, it would never be a problem in Kentucky.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    With a permit, on-body carry would be perfectly fine on a bike. Without one, I think I would keep it in the tail-cone.

I do not have a "lockable" trunk but I do have agym bag that I bungee down and I can pack in that bag. I also have a back pack, that I rarely use, and have that option also. Never had a problem. If you ride like you are suppose to, and not weaving in and out of traffic, flipping off the citizens, not trying to impress the girls with wheelies and stoppies, then you should be fine. Some common sense by having the gun unloaded, ammo kept separately, a cable lock is good, etc...and a CC permit sure wouldnt hurt either..a good question you asked, but I have carried for years, have over 45 years in the saddle and never had a problem..can't remember even the last time I got stopped on a bike, I think it was in the mid 70's..I think..CRS you know

Assistant Administrator
    Normal legal CCW when riding but - on occasions go to IDPA shoot on bike.

Range bag strapped to back seat, with ammo and other bits and pieces - and gun stuff in side bags - so, well separated from each other. Can't see that being a problem here in PA.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

When I carry on the bike, I have the gun locked in it's hard case, unloaded. Then the ammo is in the same bag, but outside the hard case. Not that I have ever tested it, but I assume I'm legal.
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

thanks for the responses, like i said it just got my hamster spinning his wheel last night thinking about it
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Colorado's "Motorcycle Carry" Friendly

We're lucky in Colorado, someone was thinking about that when drafting the law...

The Colorado Concealed Weapons Statue:

18-12-105. Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon - unlawful possession of weapons.

...(2) It shall not be an offense [Carrying a firearm concealed on or about his or her person] if the defendant was:

(a) [was at home]

(b) A person in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who carries a weapon for lawful protection of such person's or another's person or property while traveling; or

(c) [held a valid CCW permit]
    The tricky part comes when you're dismounted... without a permit you're back to OC. I have a shoulder rig and a waist-pack - both are more comfortable than IWB when riding. I prefer the waist-pack since you never know when you may be needing to remove your riding jacket.
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by ethereal View Post
    We're lucky in Colorado, someone was thinking about that when drafting the law...

The tricky part comes when you're dismounted... without a permit you're back to OC. I have a shoulder rig and a waist-pack - both are more comfortable than IWB when riding. I prefer the waist-pack since you never know when you may be needing to remove your riding jacket.
    Posed this to the sheriff once (my county so YMMV). Bike is treated like a car, empty gun, ammo separate, no issues. Again, this is non CCW holder.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

VIP Member
    IN Ky the ONLY legal place to carry a loaded gun without a permit is in the glovebox. I doubt it would be legal anywhere on a bike since it doesn't have a glovebox. I'm sure the laws are the same on a bike as a car if the gun is unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    IN Ky the ONLY legal place to carry a loaded gun without a permit is in the glovebox. I doubt it would be legal anywhere on a bike since it doesn't have a glovebox. I'm sure the laws are the same on a bike as a car if the gun is unloaded.
    Ya thats what me thinking... They dont have a glove box so then what... Oh well I dont even have a bike just wondering...

Links