It could have been ugly!

It could have been ugly!

This is a discussion on It could have been ugly! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It started when yesterday when I was helping my girlfriend and her family move out of their home and into their new home. The house ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It could have been ugly!

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar

Exclamation It could have been ugly!

It started when yesterday when I was helping my girlfriend and her family move out of their home and into their new home. The house was sold to a couple with children and we had worked out the details on when they needed to be out by. So yesterday we started on day two of the house move and the day started by the guy who sold the house for them calling and threatning my girlfriends mother that all the stuff better be out or else. Which mad no since to me because the final move out day was sunday. So we went to the house and tryed as fast as we could to pack things up and get out of their. To make it faster I went to pick up a trailer from a friend. When I get back I see my girlfriend in a state of pissed of I havent seen in a long time. So I asked her what was wrong and she told me he had been by and had said somethings he shouldn't have to her and he would be back later and she better be gone. So we packed faster and loaded the truck beond what it would realy should have been holding, and took off the load as we left I could see him parked on the road watching the house. When we got back from hauling that load, we started on the next and I walked out side and here he came flying into the driveway, jumps and kinda stagers (I could see in his eyes he had been drinking) from his truck and tells us to get out (but not so nicely). I sad sir we are going as fast as we can. Then he proceded to tell me what he was hoing to do if they wern't out.

Now I carry my gun on me at all times and this day was no diffrent, But today since I was sweating so bad I had my shirt tucked behind my glock. He looks down and says out of the middle of no wear ( I had forgot my gun was not covered.) " U think u all big and bad carrying a gun I could still whipp your 'butt'." then he pauses and says " It's a good thing I don't got my gun with me or I'd kill somebody because I'm pissed off." Then he started walking tword his truck. So I did the only thing I could think of and sayed "Sir I'm going to pray for you tonight" He turned and looked at me and said " U the one who is going to need a prayer" and jumped in his truck and as he gets in I said "God bles u and have a great night."

Now this guy has no right to tr and bully us around he doesn't own the property he just sold it for us. I could not under stand his problem besides the fact that he had been drinking.

What do you guys think? Did I do the right thing? What could I have done diffrent?
    Last edited by f8lranger4x4; September 23rd, 2007 at 10:26 PM.

You did good.........except for the praying comment.........you shoulda' told him to have a nice day, it'd had the same effect!!

VIP Member
    Call the cops, he threatened to kill someone.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    I think you did well... praying comment and all.

Whether you, or anyone, believes in God or not, there are plenty of people out there who do, and even if they aren't religious per say, they still respect the idea of religion. Bringing up God, or saying that you are going to pray, or any other combination, can induce a kind of regret and respect and shame, and end an encounter.

It's kind of like the joke about saying, "What would your mother think?"

For some reason that touches some people and is just enough to make them let it go.

It's not so much about what you believe, it's about what they believe and how your words effects them.

Good Job.. everyone went home safe.

P.S. I also agree with goawayfarm, call the police. He did threated lives.

VIP Member
    There is an interesting human phenomenon which I have run into a few times during my 6 decades on earth. Every once in awhile, someone will just fly off the handle for no apparent reason. Even sober good people sometimes just lose it. I once had a good colleague with whom I'm still friends, just suddenly start screaming at me. He was mega-pissed and ranting, I don't really know about what or why. He did apologize a day later. In another similar incident I was on the BOD of a non-profit and the Executive Director phoned me one day screaming. I had to just hang up the phone. He was out of control and not at all rational.

All you can do is walk away. If it is a friend, forgive.

In this case a call to the police was in order as this guy wasn't your friend and he might do the same thing to others.

I'm going to guess he had made some sort of handshake deal with the buyer that they could get in by a certain time, and you were getting in the way. It was costing him money. That doesn't make his actions right.

If I understand things, this was your realtor who did this. You can file a complaint with your State's licensing authority.

I think you did OK. But--

As soon as he verbally assaulted your girl friend and family, I would have called the police and had them on hand as you finished moving.

When he showed up drunk, I would have sure made sure my weapon was concealed and probably "smoozed" the guy as much as possible. Dealing with a drunk is always unpredictable. I wouldn't have said anything that might antagonize the guy.

I would still call the police and file a report. I would also call the local board of realators and file a complaint. I would do anything possible (within the law) to make this guy's life miserable. If I had the time and money, I would probably contact a lawyer and see if a civil suit could be filed.

He sold the house and is collecting a commision from your G.F's family and is behaving like this? Unbelievable.

Cloudpeak

Wink Layered Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Call the cops, he threatened to kill someone.....
    I agree 100% with this as well as what Limatunes said.

Had he tried an attack do you think you would have been justified in the use of deadly force? Drunks are nasty and can be violent and unpredictable. But all of that knowledge is a sort of forewarning.

Knowing that would you feel comfortable drawing? Because he obviously just said that your gun doesn't scare him. This months Combat Handguns has an excellent article about folks who commit suicide by cop with a single variation: Suicide by CCW. Guess what? In far more cases it results in murder charges against the lawfully armed citizen than it does to police in the line of duty.

But have you thought about a layered defense? Nonlethal force in the form of a can of OC or a stun gun? OC can be iffy in a strong wind and there is controversy as to it's effectivness on subjects under the influence. Sometimes the cans lost thgeir pressure without warning and there is also a danger of leakage. Another product in this line I'm investigating for my daughter is the product put out by Kimber America called the LIFE ACT, I think. It sorta looks like a Star Trek phaser. Shoots a chemical pellet at 90mph and there is both a disposable and a reloadable model. I do not think that BATFE has ruled it as a "firearm."

There is also a lot of controversy about whether or not a stun device is effective. I do know one thing for sure, that super loud frying bacon noise will cut thru the most alcohol fogged brain. Look at all the recent videos of cops TASERING folks and the effects of that has I think is now a part of the culteral landscape. If you want an idea of the effects go to YOUTUBE and do a search for TASER or stun gun. There are a ton of idiots who TASER or stun each other for the camera. Pretty kewl and funny, too. But also informative.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

by the guy who sold the house for them calling and threatning my girlfriends mother that all the stuff better be out or else.
    If this guy is a licensed real estate agent, you need to call the local Board of Realty and file a complaint. My daughter is the Executive Officer for our local board of realty and these guys have all sorts of rules they have to live by. I would think that this type of behavior would, and should, definitely result in some sanctions.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

It is a long story and he is not a reator. I also had NO intention on drawing my weapon and would not under any condition unless he had a weapon. I work with LEO for a LE Agency everyday (no im not a LEO) and have recived training on how to talk people down out of a situation where they may do harm to me or others. Everything I triued did not work but I did keep calm and talk in a calm tone as I have been trained to do. ALso I had forgot that I was OCing due to the fact that all day and most days that I carry that I'm not in my home or running a short trip to the gas station I CC.

Won't spend too much time on this one but....

If he assisted in the sale of the house, then one would assume he had some type of previous relationship with the seller (your girlfriend's mother).

Was the date and time of possession not contractually agreed to at the closing?

Did he receive a fee for the sale? In every state, it is a violation of the license law for a non-licensee to accept a fee (even a "referral fee").

So many apparent violations of law: disturbing the peace, threatening, public intoxication and/or DWI.

The carry piece would have stayed holstered. The cellphone with 911 on speed dial would have come out the first time he got cranked up.

Lead Moderator
    If you work with LE, why did you not call em for DUI, threats against persons , ect on this guy? He could very well go off and either take out his aggression on someone else, or cause a car accident injuring/killing others.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    If you work with LE, why did you not call em for DUI, threats against persons , ect on this guy? He could very well go off and either take out his aggression on someone else, or cause a car accident injuring/killing others.
    I would have called on the spot with his tag number including the threats. I would have given the address too, as well as his state of sobriety.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post

The carry piece would have stayed holstered. The cellphone with 911 on speed dial would have come out the first time he got cranked up.
    My weapon never came out of the holster and as a fact my hand was no wear near it. I understand that I should have called for an officer, but what good would it do they are so understaffed and where we are at it would take 45 minutes at the least to get to us. The situation was neutralised by me being polite and vebal skills. No one was hurt and I was totaly calm. I handled the situation the best I could at the time and I stand behind my choice no to call LE at the time. My G/f works in the Commonwealth Attorny's office and we will be talking to them on Monday. Just because I did not call the police right then I always have the right to swear out a warrent on Monday.

VIP Member
    Yup, you did well. I agree that you should have called the police. If his threats weren't bad enough, he was driving drunk!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Lead Moderator
    Calling immediately
    1. Might get a car headed your way soon
    2. if the guy comes back , PD may be closer or on scene
    3. If you have to handle him in any way a second time you are on record for having called for PD assistance
    4. A plate and description will help PD to possibly catch him while DUI.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links