Do I feel safer?

Do I feel safer?

This is a discussion on Do I feel safer? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I friend, or more accurately the husband of a friend, recently asked me if carrying concealed made me feel safer. This naturally sparked a debate/conversation ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do I feel safer?

I friend, or more accurately the husband of a friend, recently asked me if carrying concealed made me feel safer.

This naturally sparked a debate/conversation about safety. I just added my thoughts on the matter to my newborn attempt at blogging.

I just want to share with the DC community.

http://recalcitrantbeagle.blogspot.com/

B.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arawn View Post
    I friend, or more accurately the husband of a friend, recently asked me if carrying concealed made me feel safer.

This naturally sparked a debate/conversation about safety. I just added my thoughts on the matter to my newborn attempt at blogging.

I just want to share with the DC community.

http://recalcitrantbeagle.blogspot.com/

B.
    So do you?

No, because I am not safer.
    I am better prepared, however.

B.

Ron
    I am sorry, but I have to disagree, although I think that we may be dealing with semantics. I do feel safer when I carry; safer, not immune to danger or the threat of being injured or killed, but the fact that I am armed, and trained and practice, makes me less likely to become prey to the thugs who roam the streets of our society. To that extent, and to that extent only, not only do I feel safer, but IMO, I am, in fact, safer, then if I was unarmed.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    good entry. I wish more people understood the difference between feeling safe, being safe, and being prepared.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Lightbulb Safer

I concur with Ron. In fact I think to not feel safer when armed would cause you to be less prepared should something happen. Perhaps delay your reaction time, cause a bad decision, etc....
    I feel safe and feel that my family with me feel more safe as well. I am safer because I have had training, stay aware and prepared and practice several times a week.
    Perhaps the question should be do I feel prepared to face a possible life threatening situation when carrying?

Safer

Since I don't/can't carry in my home county, I do feel "safer" when I am able to defend my family and myself.

Of course the criminals feel "safer" inside our no CCW county.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Ron,

No need to apologize for disagreeing with me. My wife never seems to apologize for doing so.

First, the views expressed in the my blog are simply my own perspective. I'm all for hearing dissenting views. Two of the 3 comments to my "Lies our parents..." entry disagreed with me, and those replies were made by good friends of mine.
    Secondly, there is certainly an argument to be made that my distinctions made are largely semantic in nature. Now mind you, that's not my opinion, but it's certainly a legitimate one.

I chose to link my blog because I'd like to hear what the DC community thinks of such things, ie, safety and danger verses the perception of such things.

Cheers,
    B.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by arawn View Post
    Ron,

No need to apologize for disagreeing with me. My wife never seems to apologize for doing so.

First, the views expressed in the my blog are simply my own perspective. I'm all for hearing dissenting views. Two of the 3 comments to my "Lies our parents..." entry disagreed with me, and those replies were made by good friends of mine.
    Secondly, there is certainly an argument to be made that my distinctions made are largely semantic in nature. Now mind you, that's not my opinion, but it's certainly a legitimate one.

I chose to link my blog because I'd like to hear what the DC community thinks of such things, ie, safety and danger verses the perception of such things.

Cheers,
    B.
    The ability to express different views without fear of the discussion becoming "personal" is what this Forum is all about. And to be perfectly honest, I wasn't really apologizing for disagreeing with you, just trying to be as polite about it as possible.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Excellent!

B.

Senior Moderator
    I wrote a blog about this same topic myself a little while ago.

Carrying a Gun to Feel Safe

I agree with both sides of the isle, safer and more prepared. I look at as the more prepared I am, the safer I am. I don't believe I am more safe or immune from being a target - or potential, but neither does wearing a helmet. Wearing a helmet doesn't protect you from being in an accident, it does help make you safer when that accident does happen.

Same thing with my gun - I am still at risk of being a victim - the gun just helps protect me from the consequences of being a victim.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I feel safer because I am better prepared and use situational awareness to my advantge.

Assistant Administrator
    Much can be seen as semantics with this and we had IIRC a thread on it not so long ago.

If after being prepared by being armed - and having to use it and survive - then in retrospect we could be seen as having stayed safer. Plus perhaps too - the mindset of carry and situational awareness also contribute.

But to be safer by default thru being armed .. I'll be pedantic and state that I feel ''potentially'' safer The dangers that might occur would be the same regardless - just my options for dealing with them that increase. The rest is entirely down to how well (or not) I utilize those options.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have peace of mind because I carry concealed.

I'm still subject to the same risks, but now I can deal with a bad situation and likely come out better than if I was unarmed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links