Carried in church today.

This is a discussion on Carried in church today. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today was my first opportunity to be armed in church. I had my Glock 27 in a Smart Carry holster. I often help with 'behind ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carried in church today.

Carried in church today.

Today was my first opportunity to be armed in church. I had my Glock 27 in a Smart Carry holster.

I often help with 'behind the scenes' activities at church and spend most of my time in the back near the doors. Many times I have played out scenarios in my mind (sometimes the pastor gets a bit long-winded), scenarios similar to what other churches have experienced with shootings, etc. It was nice to add another option to my playbook.

FWIW... in Kansas, we can carry in church as long as it's not posted with a gunbuster sign (Beretta M9/92FS silouhette in a red cirlce with a diagnol line over it, per the KS A.G.).

Just thought I'd share. It's been an exciting week since I received my permit last Tuesday.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Just like anywhere else people congregate, carry there, carry everywhere. I'm surprised there aren't more shootings in church. Seems to be a good place where people could be easily caught off gaurd. Perfect setting for a phycho maniac or for someone that wants to get even because their girlfriend broke up with him...... Carry on.

Church is a good place to carry..not too long ago, a BG went into a church in Neosh MO and killed..if only some of them "sheep" had a sheep dog among them.

VIP Member
    Me too! I carried my new P-220 Compact to church. You know, I think EVERYBODY should! "Go ahead preacher, tell me I'm going to hell now! Ah, Lord? Um, I was just kidding... heh heh.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Always carried, within the confines of the law of course in church. Prior to that, outside the confines of the law. Some pastors seem to draw attention when they preach what the good book actually says.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Ron
    As I am sure most of you know, we recently celebrated the two most important Jewish Holidays of the year. I carried to services as I always do, and was surprised to find three LEO's outside of the entrance to our Temple acting as security. They were from our local PD and a deputy from our county sheriff.

My reaction was how sad it is that we live in an environment where it was deemed necessary to have three LEO's on duty to protect our congregation from harm.

And, no I did not drop my gun while on the Bima.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    As I am sure most of you know, we recently celebrated the two most important Jewish Holidays of the year. I carried to services as I always do, and was surprised to find three LEO's outside of the entrance to our Temple acting as security. They were from our local PD and a deputy from our county sheriff.

My reaction was how sad it is that we live in an environment where it was deemed necessary to have three LEO's on duty to protect our congregation from harm.

And, no I did not drop my gun while on the Bima.

Ron
    So the police outside synagogues are not normal? I was a volunteer at my church's Oktoberfest this weekend and saw the people coming out of Temple (down the street) and the "police presence" and thought that was out of the norm but not why.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    So the police outside synagogues are not normal? I was a volunteer at my church's Oktoberfest this weekend and saw the people coming out of Temple (down the street) and the "police presence" and thought that was out of the norm but not why.
    No, it is not the norm, at least not in this country, until recently, although it is very much the norm in Europe.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I don't think Louisiana allows church carry......any one want to expand on that? Cannon

Senior Moderator
    I was once in a church service in Texas where the Preacher was trying to make a statement that people should carry their Bibles as often as they carry their gun and if you wouldn't leave home without one, you shouldn't leave home without the other.

He asked everyone to raise their guns in the air.

All around the room guns went up... Little old ladies, husbands, wives.. all shapes, all sizes, all calibers.

Then the preacher asked them to raise their Bibles. There was about an equal amount of Bibles as their were guns.

It was the first time I saw a mass amount of people, not on a range, with guns. It was neat.

I've carried to church before.. LOTS of times. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I'm surprised there aren't more shootings in church. Seems to be a good place where people could be easily caught off gaurd.
    Yup. I'm sure that BG's see it as a place of opportunity, with folks dropping their guard in the hopes that nobody would be evil enough to defiile a church. It can, indeed, happen anywhere.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

EW3
    This guy's .38 came in handy in church one day...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_James_Church_massacre
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

My pastor says he preaches better knowing I and a few others are armed in the congregation. I will protect my loved ones wherever it is legal, church is no exception. Good story Limatunes, I would like to visit that church!! I was once in a revival service where a preacher took out his 357 magnum and laid it on the pulpit, he said it was weighing him down, and if the spirit entered him he didn't want the gun to go flying. This shocked a church full of Baptists, lol!!!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I don't see why you wouldn't carry in church(assuming it's legal).My family is there,my friends and brothers and sisters are there.God does protect us,He also gives us the means and free will to protect ourselves.
    I can imagine someone being killed in church,going up to Heaven and asking God why he didn't protect him.And God saying,"Hey I gave Sam Colt the idea for the Peacemker......why wern't you more dilligent and carrying?"
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I was once in a church service in Texas where the Preacher was trying to make a statement that people should carry their Bibles as often as they carry their gun and if you wouldn't leave home without one, you shouldn't leave home without the other.

He asked everyone to raise their guns in the air.

All around the room guns went up... Little old ladies, husbands, wives.. all shapes, all sizes, all calibers.

Then the preacher asked them to raise their Bibles. There was about an equal amount of Bibles as their were guns.

It was the first time I saw a mass amount of people, not on a range, with guns. It was neat.
    AWESOME illustration. Unfortunately in our area it wouldn't fly. Would be considered a criminal offense by everyone "brandishing."

Maybe one day my area will rise to the level of civility that church congregation showed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links