Tips for LEO encounters (edited)

This is a discussion on Tips for LEO encounters (edited) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Print this tip card and keep with you, may come in handy. http://www.aclu.org/FilesPDFs/dwb%20bust%20card7_04.pdf Here is the websit where I found it. http://www.aclu.org/police/gen/14528res20040730.html...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tips for LEO encounters (edited)

Print this tip card and keep with you, may come in handy.

http://www.aclu.org/FilesPDFs/dwb%20bust%20card7_04.pdf

Here is the websit where I found it.

http://www.aclu.org/police/gen/14528res20040730.html

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Nice card, but I would rather commit these things to memory. I would hate to need to reference a card when I get pulled over.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    The fact that it comes from the ACLU was enough to make me wonder if I'd vomit on my keyboard when I read the card. While it wasn't bad, it was flies in the face of what I believe is best. If you have nothing to hide, there is no reason to avoid a search of your person or vehicle. Doing so will often just be a waste of time while you wait on a dog to show up and smell around the car. If you do have something to hide, you're going to get caught anyway- so you may as well get on with it.

I guess I'm just crazy, but I don't break the law- so I am not scared of the police. I just can't understand why so many people act as if they are the enemy. After 32 years of living, I have yet to have a poor experience with a police officer other than getting ticketed for breaking traffic laws- and of course that was my own fault.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Moderator
    If you have nothing to hide, there is no reason to avoid a search of your person or vehicle.
    Never, ever submit to a voluntary search. Ever.

Ever buy a used vehicle ? Did you go over it with a fine tooth comb? Under the seats, the carpet, the trunk? Pull out the spare tire and check to see if anything was under it? Did you have the upholstery cleaned ?

When that dog gets there and hits on the car that you didnt check, you can explain to Officer Friendly that you dont have a clue whats going on or that you dont know how that itty bitty marijuana seed or two that one of your kids friends dropped under the seat got there.

When it happens, because you had nothing to fear from the law, you'll have plenty of time to call your laywer and figure out what the heck happened while you're sitting in your cell.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    I'm with you on the ACLU thing though. Anything that comes from them is suspect.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Whether you let the officer check or the dog finds it later- you're in the same boat. You can try to explain the situation to the officer all you want- but it will be a jury that makes the decision.

I know that the right legal advice is to never submit to a search. I don't agree with that advice. I've been asked for permission to search my vehicle before- and I know that my attorney would have killed me if he'd been there while I gave consent. But, I honestly have nothing to fear so I see no need in making things more difficult on myself.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I noticed the name of the file in the hyperlink has "dwb bust card" in it. DWB stands for "Driving While Black". I'm curious if there are other cards for different ethnicities, cultures, and opinions.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

OF Course there isn't, because it's not about equality!!

As for letting a LEO search your vehicle I agree with Echo Four, if you say no, it tells the cop you have something to hide. One way or another the car is getting searched, it just wastes a bunch of time by saying no. If you ain't guilty don't sweat it!! The used car bit is a bit of a stretch, if you're that paranoid I suggest stripping your car and doing your own inspection.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'm with you on the ACLU thing though. Anything that comes from them is suspect.
    I agree with that.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Maintain your car according to local laws.

Carry your license, insurance and registration.

Drive safely.

If stopped, don't be an ***.

If people did that, I wouldn't have too much traffic or criminal work.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I guess I'm just crazy, but I don't break the law- so I am not scared of the police. I just can't understand why so many people act as if they are the enemy. After 32 years of living, I have yet to have a poor experience with a police officer other than getting ticketed for breaking traffic laws- and of course that was my own fault.
    Good post. Too bad there are not too many people that share your wise opinion.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

me
    I do not recall if this has been suggested or not here before. But I think it would make atleast somewhat good sence to have the LEO on this site put out how to deal with LEO (a general description) if stopped.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    I do not recall if this has been suggested or not here before. But I think it would make atleast somewhat good sence to have the LEO on this site put out how to deal with LEO (a general description) if stopped.
    I'm way ahead of ya...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=20958
    "Just blame Sixto"

JEC
    Remember "probable cause" will get both you and your vehicle searched without your consent.
    Not being cooperative during a traffic stop sends a strong signal to any LEO. I am not suggesting that you have come right out with a "why are you hassling me" attitude, but I also agree with some of the other posts suggesting if there is nothing to hide then there is no problem.
    Frequently, stops for what appear to be no reason are a result of information broadcast due to a want for a vehicle where a partial description may be all the information available eg. make, model, number of passengers etc. Once the officer is satisfied he/she has detained you unnecessarily you will probably get an explanation for the stop.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Refusing to allow a search is NOT probable cause .
    And probable cause allows an officer to secure a warrant not do an immedate search.
    Maybe I was speeding. That doesn't give a LEO the ability to search my car .
    I'm supposed to say "OK" just to make the officer happy? I don't think so.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links