First and best comment on my concealment

This is a discussion on First and best comment on my concealment within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has commented that the vest I wear (tiger stripe BDU coat with the sleeves removed) makes me look like Ted Nugent. I know ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First and best comment on my concealment

First and best comment on my concealment

My wife has commented that the vest I wear (tiger stripe BDU coat with the sleeves removed) makes me look like Ted Nugent. I know she doesn't mean that in a good way. I wore the vest before I got my CHL to get myself and everyone else used to the attire. I got my CHL about 3 weeks ago and have carried every time I have left the house since then. Today I was talking to her about some alternative concealment garments and she asked what was wrong with the camo vest? I said I knew she didn't like it, and she said so what, just don't wear it when I am with you. I said sometimes I need to wear something like that when I am with you. She said, "why"? So I lifted my shirt tail and showed her my rig. So I guess this means you got your license, she says. Yes, three weeks ago, I said. So I guess I have been doing a good job of keeping it out of sight and not playing with it too much when we have been out the last few weeks.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    You did real good....now about that tiger stripe BDU coat with the sleeves removed....time to go clothes shopping...Ted.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Is it not a little odd, though, to not have shared with one's wife that one has started carrying a concealed firearm?

I'm not married, but I'd be looking for a little more communication going on, in both directions, if I were. Not being condemnatory, just wondering why the wife wasn't told. Obviously she knew it was coming down the pike. Why was the decision made to keep her uninformed?

Peacefuljeffrey:I could tell by your name you were not married
    Finding clothes that conceal well,while not looking like it is hard.I have always worn vests of all kinds and still do now that I carry.
    I like smith and alexander vests because they don't look gunny.I also wear a 5.11 when it's colder(instead of a jacket)
    As far as the Ted Nudgent look..it was good enough for her to find you attractive in the 1st place.....of course now that you're married,you have to give her what she wants to stay"Peaceful",be happy she 's not freaking out that you carry.
    Of course you could tell her that you would stop wearing the Ted jacket,if she wears it...and nothing else.....
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Is it not a little odd, though, to not have shared with one's wife that one has started carrying a concealed firearm?

I'm not married, but I'd be looking for a little more communication going on, in both directions, if I were. Not being condemnatory, just wondering why the wife wasn't told. Obviously she knew it was coming down the pike. Why was the decision made to keep her uninformed?
    My wife isn't exactly ecstatic about me getting one. When it arrives I plan on carrying for awhile before letting her know. This is let her know how that others won't know I'm carrying and she pays more attention to me than others do.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

I wear a vintage 1969 Vietnam Slant Pocket jungle jacket with the sleeves rolled up. It conceals very well, because it's a long jacket. I did not want to get into the 5.11 or photographer type beige vests that are a real give away. The sleeves on my jacket could be easily removed and turned into a vest.

Browning makes a nice light weight jacket that the sleeves zip out of in a kakki green that works well for me when it cools off a bit. Can't say as I blame her for not liking the tiger stripe, lol.

Hasn't it been too warm in Ft. Worth for a vest?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    I dont get it. I wear a slighty larger than usual t shirt and have never been made.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont get it. I wear a slighty larger than usual t shirt and have never been made.
    Agreed. While I must admit to being relatively new to daily concealed carry, I've had experience similar to Sixto. I wear an un-tucked shirt (t-shirt, polo, etc) and have had no problems.

In my experience it was finding the right holster that made all the difference for me. It seems I have finally met with success on holster number 4. I'm using a tuckable IWB so sometimes I tuck my shirt in, but usually I do not. Haven't been made either way (so far).

Brian

I get a kick out of extremes. From those folks who've NEVER been made, to the folks who ALWAYS can spot a CCW. But it's like the bad Poker Player who claims he's never been cheated...how's he ever really gonna' know?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    Agreed. While I must admit to being relatively new to daily concealed carry, I've had experience similar to Sixto. I wear an un-tucked shirt (t-shirt, polo, etc) and have had no problems.

In my experience it was finding the right holster that made all the difference for me. It seems I have finally met with success on holster number 4. I'm using a tuckable IWB so sometimes I tuck my shirt in, but usually I do not. Haven't been made either way (so far).

Brian
    Same here. I carry a large revolver OWB, frequently covered only by a Tee shirt. A pancake type holster seems to snug the gun right up to my body. I avoid snug fitting Tee shirts and so far no one has ever noticed that I'm carrying. Most folks just aren't that observant.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    My wife isn't exactly ecstatic about me getting one. When it arrives I plan on carrying for awhile before letting her know. This is let her know how that others won't know I'm carrying and she pays more attention to me than others do.
    That actually does sound rational, and sensible, now that you mention it. Thanks.

Didn't see it mentioned as to what kind of gun or rig you carry in but I have 3 Tucker Gunleather IWB Tuckable type holsters that work great for me. I can tuck the shirt in when appropriate or leave out and have never been made.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Most folks just aren't that observant.
    BINGO!
    Even I tend to tune out every now and then. Unless your concealment has a catastrophic failure, most the will walk by in their oblivion.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    Peacefuljeffrey:I could tell by your name you were not married

Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links