frequent bear encounters making good practice for draw and fire - Page 2

frequent bear encounters making good practice for draw and fire

This is a discussion on frequent bear encounters making good practice for draw and fire within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shooting pellets at a bear is a horrible strategy Horrible strategy or not , it is fairly effective at chasing them out of the yard ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooting pellets at a bear is a horrible strategy
    Horrible strategy or not , it is fairly effective at chasing them out of the yard without freaking the neighbors out and without causing serious injury to the bear. One of the older gentlemen in my neck of the woods said bird shot from a shotgun at 30 - 40 yards will sting and not cause serious penetrating wounds as his old dog proved when in it's older years was x-rayed in the hip area to reveal many embedded birdshot completely healed over from years before. Bear Banger loads are likely to be my next tactic. I would love it if Fish and Game would come up and deal with the problem, but they seem reluctant to make it their priority. When a bear enters my house they will probably move me up on the list of things to do. If I'm home when it happens they will only have to decide what to do with it's carcass. But like I said , I really don't want to kill a bear, least of all in my yard , I don't want that kind of attention. Whenever something like that goes down around these parts it ges plastered all over the media.Wounding a bear and causing a painful injury that may make it ornery is also a concern to me.It's a fine line for sure. Thanks for all the input so far, I appreciate it very much!

.44 Magnum loaded with Garrett 310 grain super-hard cast hammerheads at 1325 FPS. Tell the DNR to come pick up the pieces.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Lead Moderator
    I would advise against bear mace. Its effective but tends to draw em in once discharged and on the ground. Perhaps a stereo with a motion sensor rigged to it to give ya early warning and a scare tactic too. Also rubber bullets and a good sturdy door, backed up with some lethal rounds. Remember if they are coming at ya the head is all you can aim at and hope to stop em.

According to Phil Shoemaker, Alaskan Guide and writer for Rifle Magazine, a 12 gauge loaded with bird shot makes an effective bear deterrent. It scares them away, smarts enough so that they remember the lesson, and causes no permanent damage if you shoot them in the butt. Use light loads, aim for a ham, and then keep your mouth shut in case DNR decides that that is "Harrassment" of wildlife.

now i've seen everything.

an air rifle as 'bear defense'?
    those bears down there must be total wusses.

I learned today from an unofficial source that kiling a bear in N.H. is against the law unless it has entered your house and you are not able to retreat or if it is bear season and you have a license to hunt one and be at least 300 yards from residential area. Common sense would lead me to kill the bear or whatever if I believed my life or my family or even my dog was facing an attack, isn't that my right in or out of my home?
    Regarding the pellet gun use, it is turning out to be good practice for drawing and firing as well as entertaining.(OOOH, did I say that out loud? ) It is backed up by heavier firepower but in the 16 years I've lived in this house I've tried to discourage bears in this manner, they have never done anything but run away as fast as they can so I guess they could be re classified as "wussie bears".I would'nt call them predictable but I would not trust one if I found one between myself and my house.I almost forgot to mention that .30 cal. steel balls launched from a slingshot also make the bears run away too but definately not as accurate. This year seems to be the worst ever in terms of bear visits. As they grow bolder so will my attempts to discourage them. :madboxer:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links