frequent bear encounters making good practice for draw and fire

This is a discussion on frequent bear encounters making good practice for draw and fire within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, this is my first post here and Iwould like to thank all those who post for all the great advice and experiences related. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frequent bear encounters making good practice for draw and fire

frequent bear encounters making good practice for draw and fire

Hello everyone, this is my first post here and Iwould like to thank all those who post for all the great advice and experiences related. It all adds up to education for me. I have been getting some great practical experience learning to react to frequent visits from black bears on my property this spring.They come around at all times of day or night. I only encounter them 4 or 5 times a week. I have learned to keep my pellet pistol loaded and in the same location at all times,(.177 cal.,Co2, 8 shot mag.,470fps).I have taped my Surefire flashlight under the barrel for night time encounters and it works great. My dog usually alerts me to their presence and if I ignore them or don't do anything to chase them away they will cause minor but consistent property dammage. So I try to get to my pistol and to the door or window in time to discourage the beasts with as many rounds as possible before they high-tail it out of my yard. one morning last week my dog woke me up and when I looked out the window I saw a large bear with his big black butt hanging out the front door of my Subaru(trying to get to a bag of cat food behind the drivers seat left from the day before, I'm not quite sure how he managed to get my door opened). My adrenaline was pumping as I stood at my door and put 3 shots from 15 feet away, it scared the heck out of him as he almost took the car door off as he backed out and started to run away. 3 days later I found my front door opened again, no damage but my steering wheel was all sticky and slimy.When I am working in my yard and do not have the sanctuary of my house I have been carrying my S&W 637 just in case the mother and cubs that frequent the area show up.
    I have been surprised at the things I can forget to do when I the adrenaline starts to pump, like not taking the safety off , not having the weapon loaded, having a place to retreat to, extra mag handy if necessary, and being sure that what is behind your target is not something you don't want to hit. I'm getting ready to move up to a larger caliber as the .177 is not having enough effect on them any more. I'm considering cb caps or aguila super colibri as I don't think they will penetrate a bear's hide from 25 to 50 feet away but I think it would leave a mark and help them to remember to go around my yard instead of through it. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any or if anyone has had similar situations what did you do?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    If you are serious about this, I find it hard to believe. A .38 spl. isn't gonna cut it with bears, unless ya get real lucky. I would contact your DNR and ask for assistance or removal of these bears. If I had bears this close in my yard I would be toting a carbine and a pistol backup. But would want em relocated if at all possible.

Been there , done that, the most I could get from fish and game were a few rounds of 12 gauge blanks and some encoragement that they would soon go back to the woods when their natural food sources were more abundant. I'm not alone in this problem as many people inthe area have similar problems and are encouraged to deal with them.I have no desire to kill a bear but I will push the discouragement factor to it's limits. The 12 ga. blanks have very temporary effects.

I'm not a nature freak and can't suggest a real solution if DNR won't help you. I'd just get some better pest control tools.

If this was my life on the line I'd invest in a 12 gauge and some slugs. You can pick up a Mossberg Maverick new for $170ish, or a somewhat better shotgun can be had used around that price. The pawn shops and gun stores are full of used 12 gauges.

Or a suitable rifle, but that's expensive.

High powered revolver would be nice to complete the ensemble but once again expensive.

Bear Mace maybe? Not nearly so expensive, probably not as effective, but you don't have to worry about giving your neighbors new air conditioning.

Ask around locally and see if there's a sort of passive defense you can erect. This is kind of a lame comparison but where I come from we have a similar problem but with deer. Of course deer aren't dangerous, but there's lots of tricks the locals know like planting oleanders and peeing in the yard that keep deer away.

Dare I suggest a fence?

Just throwing stuff out there. Never had to deal with it myself.

New Member Array Charlotta Jorgenson's Avatar
    I have had a terrible problem with black bears wandering down into the yard ......I now keep all pet food inside and secure all garbage in specail "bear proof cans." I also keep a 20 gauge loaded with slugs near the back door.

-Charlotta

I keep all things of bear interest indoors as much as possible, the cat food thing was a fluke and I posess sufficient firepower;a Benelli spcl purpose 12 ga., Ruger GP100, Beretta 92fs, Marlin lever 30-30 all of which would take down a bear.I can only imagine actually killing a bear if he were to enter my home or if it was really intent on harming me or my son or my dog and maybe my cat, I might let him have my cat though.My main objective is discouragement through torment; stopping short of serious bloodshed. Coyotes learn lessons I hope bears do likewise

Assistant Administrator
    I'd just hope that during your ''dissuasion'' excercizes that you have recourse to ''something'' a great deal hotter - just in case Bruin decides you might make a nice snack!

Welcome to CC.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think in that case you've done all you can. Remember the bear is a public hazard and it would be better to err on the side of caution.

A biologist once told me that a "pest" is an animal out of its proper place, and in the natural order of things pests are supposed to be eliminated. It's great that you don't want to go off half cocked here, but personally I'd draw a line in the sand somewhere.

But that's just my opinion. The worst problem we have in Texas is typically wild cats and coyotes. And wild pigs and javelinas in some places. The people in West Texas simply carry their rifles with them and don't think anything about putting them down when they get in the way.

Are these smaller bears? I just can't see a .357 or a thuddy thuddy doing the job, or a 9x19 either. But if that's what you got, I'd load them all with FMJ catridges for penetration.

sounds like its time to invest in a cheap ak-47.

Actually, I started to make some inquiries about picking up an SKS earlier this afternoon. Not for bear defence but just something to plink around with that won't cost as much as ammo for 30-30. I also like the semi auto factor.

Assistant Administrator
    Std 10 round capacity SKS vs Bruin = you win!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If .30-30 is enough to take these things down, 7.62x39 will work just as well.

New Member Array Charlotta Jorgenson's Avatar
    I caution against the tactics of tormenting a bear. Either have the bear removed by your state wildlife agency or eliminate the bear in self defense. Shooting pellets at a bear is a horrible strategy.

-Charlotta

Talking grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Bear Mace maybe? Not nearly so expensive, probably not as effective, but you don't have to worry about giving your neighbors new air conditioning.
    Bear Mace works GREAT! Also, military grade CS Gas works on the older Grizzly bears...but I doubt you'd have any gas grenades. The mace is a great big huge container that really makes 'em move away and fast! Dang thing looks like a mini fire extinguisher. But it sure does work. You wind up shooting a bear and you might wind up in a federal prison. So...be careful.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator
    Remember that you don't want to shoot a bear...to scare a bear...with anything that will penetrate the bears skin.
    You'll possibly cause a festering painful infection that will make for a very angry bear who will then do an unprovoked attack on the next guy down the road.
    Best to scare them away with the 12 gauge BEAR BANGER loads made especially for chasing away bears. They do work.
    The also make 12 Gauge rubber slugs that are EXTREMELY effective. (but expensive) You might want to cntact your local Fish & Wildlife to find out where you can buy them locally.
    I'll include one link but there are other places on the web that sell them.
    Do not shoot bears with CB caps.
    CLICK HERE FOR BEAR BANGER LOADS

Last edited by QKShooter; June 16th, 2005 at 03:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links