Lockable airlinge luggage

This is a discussion on Lockable airlinge luggage within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I fly a few times a year and sometimes take a handgun legally in checked luggage. I'd like to buy a carry on sized luggage ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lockable airlinge luggage

Lockable airlinge luggage

I fly a few times a year and sometimes take a handgun legally in checked luggage.

I'd like to buy a carry on sized luggage which I can readily check BUT ALSO externally lock with the TSA removable lock. The kind with wheels sould be nice but not essential.

Any recomendations?
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I just went and found a bag I liked and then bought small TSA approved locks to put through the zippers.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

TSA rules say that the case with firearms must be locked with a lock that TSA CAN'T open. (Unlike regular suitcases which can have TSA locks so they can open them without cutting the lock.) I usually use an inner case with the gun, which only I can open, and an outer case with a TSA lock.
    You have to be available to unlock the gun case if they want to inspect it.
    At airports where you take your own checked baggage to TSA you can tell them right there that there is a gun inside and open it if they want.

At other airports you should stay near baggage check in so they can contact you to unlock the case if they want to inspect it. After the inspection you re-lock the gun case.

I put my cell # on the actual gun case so they can call me to come and unlock it if needed.

Of course the X-Rays will tell them there is a gun inside.

Sometimes they don't even want to see the gun.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

I like this line:

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...og&parent_id=8

We absolutely abused our 21" Roll-Aboards shown below, and they handled the abuse. A lot of nice features for the money, lightweight, strong materials, and excellent customer service. I lost a nut holding on a "shoe", they sent me two new "shoes" and all mounting hardware, no questions asked. We carried on at times, and checked at times. Great stuff:

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...rentId=8&id=42

Wa also used, and loved these TSA Locks:

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...tId=124&id=328

We got resettable Master cable locks with 30" cables to lock bags together (only from snatch and runs - the cable was lightweight).

Thanks--
    Was hoping for luggage more substantial than a skinnyy lock thru the skinny zipper tabs ... already got a bag like that. Will check'em out.

fish -- cell phone # on the inside case is a good one, tho' every time TSA checked the weapon box and I locked it in their presence.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    At airports where you take your own checked baggage to TSA you can tell them right there that there is a gun inside and open it if they want. ... Sometimes they don't even want to see the gun.

Once they have been informed THAT a gun is in a particular bag, why WOULD they want/need to see the gun?

I am genuinely curious. I mean, you've already declared the bag to contain a "dangerous item." What else do they need to check? They're not in the business of determining if it's a legal firearm, or that it is somehow "registered" to you (because we know how many people believe, mistakenly, that any gun that is not "registered" is not owned legally). As far as I know, they are not even in the business of checking to see that you were legally allowed to possess the gun in the place where the airport is, much less the place you're flying to.

So why would TSA need to see your gun(s)?

I don't know why they would want to see the gun.
    They can simply keep the bag off the plane and ruin your trip.
    I generally treat TSA'ers like the 600 lb. Gorilla-don't argue-just let them see the bananas.
    They might want to make sure it is not loaded (reasonable) -to double check the airline check-in clerks who sometimes take my word that it's unloaded. (They are supposed to actually look)

[QUOTE=The Fish;485981]TSA rules say that the case with firearms must be locked with a lock that TSA CAN'T open.

This isn't true. Some manufacturers are now putting TSA locks on their cases from the factory.

TSA only requires the firearm to be in a hard- sided locked case case & the case must contain an airline declaration slip.

If you have a hardsided lockable suitcase...that is good enough, the firearm doesn't even have to be inside a gun case!
    ~Teddy Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun!~

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I bought a couple of the Ballistic Luggage pieces from Blackhawk. Great quality, rugged, and tough. I purchased the 25" & 21" pieces. I travel with a CPAP, laptop, and a few other carry-on items. The 21" is perfect for carrying my CPAP & laptop in one bag safely. Otherwise I was trying to cram stuff into the CPAP and laptop cases which are much harder to carry.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

At DFW, a zip tie throught the zipper holes is sufficient for TSA. They told me if they want to open the bag they would replace the zip tie. I also have my cell phone number on the oustide of the locked case so they can can call me in the terminal. I have had no problems at all flying anywhere on American with this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Once they have been informed THAT a gun is in a particular bag, why WOULD they want/need to see the gun?

I am genuinely curious. I mean, you've already declared the bag to contain a "dangerous item." What else do they need to check? They're not in the business of determining if it's a legal firearm, or that it is somehow "registered" to you (because we know how many people believe, mistakenly, that any gun that is not "registered" is not owned legally). As far as I know, they are not even in the business of checking to see that you were legally allowed to possess the gun in the place where the airport is, much less the place you're flying to.

So why would TSA need to see your gun(s)?
    Try flying out of NY. They took the SN and checked the handgun against my permit. It is also not uncommon for they to wish to confirm its unloaded status and the proper storage of ammunition. FYI, the TSA was involved but also called in the local county police for the SN check.

[QUOTE=Navy Chief;486140]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    TSA rules say that the case with firearms must be locked with a lock that TSA CAN'T open.

This isn't true. Some manufacturers are now putting TSA locks on their cases from the factory.

TSA only requires the firearm to be in a hard- sided locked case case & the case must contain an airline declaration slip.
    If you have a hardsided lockable suitcase...that is good enough, the firearm doesn't even have to be inside a gun case!

This is from the TSA web sight:

# You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
    # The firearm must be unloaded.
    # The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
    # The container must be locked.
    # We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.

To take the key back after screening to me means that you can't have a TSA lock on the case, because a TSA lock takes a key that all TSA staff members already have.
    They want you to unlock and re-lock the case in front of them

Also, attaching your cell # lets them contact you per the above rules
    Last edited by The Fish; September 25th, 2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: to clarify

Packing for Travel

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.

2. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:

o Determine if the ammo MUST be in boxes OR can fly in loaded magazines.
    o If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazines.
    o The round from the pipe(s) must be in a box, not loose.

3. Secure and protect magazines and ammunition boxes from possible damage.

4. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in. The labeling should be limited to:

o Your Name
    o Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
    o Your personal email address - if you have one
    o NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED

5. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.

6. Check this non-descript bag at the airport. Have the rules for the airline in hand.

7. Make sure you have the keys to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...2.10.6&idno=49) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in, and if the TSA wants to see.

8. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft to the airline, local police and the ATF immediately.

Other points to ponder:

1. Can you possess the weapon at all your stops.

2. Where can you carry and how at all your stops. Check www.handgunlaw.us.

3. What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting. Check www.handgunlaw.us.

4. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourR...s%20letter.pdf. This covers changing methods of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Mags

Great information, thanks. Would a typical polyethylene hard case be okay for mags and should be unlocked?

We found that this was a good place to shop for luggage: http://www.ebags.com/index.cfm?&sour...FRUHWAodhEZwSg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links