NC firearms laws

NC firearms laws

This is a discussion on NC firearms laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm gonna be down at ft. bragg for a couple weeks, and (save for the fort of course) North Carolina is reciprocal with my state ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NC firearms laws

I'm gonna be down at ft. bragg for a couple weeks, and (save for the fort of course) North Carolina is reciprocal with my state for concealed-carry. I'd just like to make sure I've got all my laws in check, from what I gather so far searching - basically the areas I cannot carry are bars/restaurants (alcohol), schools, state facilities, and large public gatherings?

Is there anything I'm missing there? any other tips or info to add even? any info on some good ranges to hit maybe even while i'm down there?

any intel is appreciated, thanks guys!
    "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive.. a country boy can survive..." - Hank Williams, Jr.

31B,
    Here is a link to NC Dept of Justice for CCW:
    http://www.ncdoj.com/law_enforcement...eciprocity.jsp
    You also can't carry anywhere theres an admission charge. Hope this helps.

Eric
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

and any place that charges addmission, all of which we are trying to get changed. There is a bill that will remove restaraunts, and places that charge addmin, as well funerals and parades, it will also introduce Castle Doctrine to NC. I believe we now have to wait until 2009 to get it through.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    and any place that charges addmission, all of which we are trying to get changed. There is a bill that will remove restaraunts, and places that charge addmin, as well funerals and parades, it will also introduce Castle Doctrine to NC. I believe we now have to wait until 2009 to get it through.

Good intel. I live here and was under the impression we already had a Castle Doctrine law.

For the original poster. You are required by law to notify an Law Enforcement that you are carrying if "approached" by an officer. So make sure you notify the LEO if pulled over.

A few years ago here in Cumberland County, an individual did not notify the LEO when pulled over. He got in trouble because he had a CCW permit but wasn't even carrying. This is all second hand information from my instructor at the CCW class a few months ago so take it at that.

Better to be safe than sorry.

I have talked to the local Police Dept from time to time and notified that I was carrying and they pretty much had the response of "Great thanks for sharing that" and carried on with whatever we needed to discuss.

You won't be able to carry on Bragg from my understanding as its Federal Property. Not concealed or in the open (NC allows Open Carry ). I know some GI's that rent locker space at the local range to store there stuff.

Please correct me any other locals if I missed something or misspoke.

Of course I would really recommend reading the state law in detail.

Josh

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    NC is a very interesting place.
    It's got CCW and open carry. Sweet and sort of reasonable.
    Here's the catch.,.......
    Where you can have a gun. By the time you get through reading all the restrictions it's almost not worth having with you.
    My daughter lives in NC. I drive up armed but not in SC. When I'm staying with her and we go out I don't even bother to carry. It's a pain.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Bill

NCHORNET,

Where can I find more information on that bill. I would love to see it pass.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    By the time you get through reading all the restrictions it's almost not worth having with you.
    yeah I'm beginning to notice that.

the more info i keep finding, the worse it gets heh. I'm guessing there's a big business for car safes in the state.
    "I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel drive.. a country boy can survive..." - Hank Williams, Jr.

That's great news, especially about the restaurants. Seems kind of overkill in saying we can't drink and carry, then tack on we can't be in a place where it's purchased and consumed.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuafuller View Post
    Good intel. I live here and was under the impression we already had a Castle Doctrine law.
    Not the way I've understood it. The LEO that taught our CCW class explained it that we have the right to shoot someone of the are in the act of trying to get into our homes. Once that person has gained access we have to re-assess the situation to see if deadly force is once again justified.

Not the way I've understood it. The LEO that taught our CCW class explained it that we have the right to shoot someone of the are in the act of trying to get into our homes. Once that person has gained access we have to re-assess the situation to see if deadly force is once again justified.[/QUOTE]

I have a problem with that law. The law says I can shoot thru the door w/o ID'ing the BG. But, what if its not a BG? My feeling is that if the BG is in my house and I'm there in the house, BG is high/crazy/dangerous or all of the above, and BG doesn't give a rat's butt about me or mine.
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

I have included two articles about the recent shooting in Dallas of well-known musician. The first article references the 'Castle Doctrine'(with a liberal slant) as a new law but doesn't give any detail on why the shooting happened. The second article gives the rest of the story.
    dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/.../090407glalbrecht.9abfe1fe.html

cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/04/people.musicianshot.ap/index.html

I have included two articles about the recent shooting in Dallas of well-known musician. The first article references the 'Castle Doctrine'(with a liberal slant) as a new law but doesn't give any detail on why the shooting happened. The second article gives the rest of the story.
    dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/.../090407glalbrecht.9abfe1fe.html

cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/04/people.musicianshot.ap/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by thirtyonebravo View Post
    I'm gonna be down at ft. bragg for a couple weeks, and (save for the fort of course)
    Can you think of anything dumber than not being allowed to carry a weapon at a military base? "Geez, we can't allow our military to run around armed."

Quote Originally Posted by thirtyonebravo View Post
    I'm gonna be down at ft. bragg for a couple weeks, and (save for the fort of course) North Carolina is reciprocal with my state for concealed-carry. I'd just like to make sure I've got all my laws in check, from what I gather so far searching - basically the areas I cannot carry are bars/restaurants (alcohol), schools, state facilities, and large public gatherings?

Is there anything I'm missing there? any other tips or info to add even? any info on some good ranges to hit maybe even while i'm down there?

any intel is appreciated, thanks guys!
    Just make sure to unload it and lock it up in your trunk or a locking gun case separate from the ammo when coming through MD. I just took a trip from VA to PA and back.

Fort Bragg has a great range, surprised you can't use it. There is an awesome outdoor range not too terribly far away in Pungo, VA called C2 Pistol and rifle range. It's close to the Nc/VA border but probably a bit too close to the coast for you to travel.

That's all I've got for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Just make sure to unload it and lock it up in your trunk or a locking gun case separate from the ammo when coming through MD. I just took a trip from VA to PA and back.

Fort Bragg has a great range, surprised you can't use it. There is an awesome outdoor range not too terribly far away in Pungo, VA called C2 Pistol and rifle range. It's close to the Nc/VA border but probably a bit too close to the coast for you to travel.

That's all I've got for you.
    heh yeah the VA/NC border on the shore would be a bit of a stretch from bragg. :)

I'll check out the range there, definitely. I guess it should be pretty good considering the post's size and stature hehe. I just like the quiet "dive bar" types of civi ranges; laid-back (but still safe), kind of like fishing.. just you and your targets. but there is something to be said for hanging out with a bunch of people, shooting, bonding and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWINNC View Post
    NCHORNET,

Where can I find more information on that bill. I would love to see it pass.
    Sorry it took me so long to get back. For the best info on NC gun laws I highly suggest becoming a member of "Grass Roots of NC" most states have a Grass Roots base, they will inform you of every bill that is trying to be passed and how that bill will affect our gun rights, they will also give you links in the email to all your representatives along with a pre-typed letter to forward to them or you can type your own. There is no other group doing more for NC gun rights. Just google "Grass roots NC" and you will find them. Every gun owner in NC should be a member of this group, otherwise it may not be long before we are whining like folks in CA.

As to Castle Doctrine in NC, NO WE DON'T, all we have to prove is that we are in fear of our life and if another person was placed in the same situation they too would feel the same threat level, we don't have to retreat as far as possible like other states, but we shouldn't go chasing a BG down the road either. Castle Doctrine also makes you exempt from prosecution after the fact which is something we desperatley need. If we all come together and with the help of Grass Roots I believe it can happen. It was Grass Roots that had a lot to do with getting our CCW permit to act as a substitute for the ticket issued by the sheriffs dept. for gun purchases.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links