Odd situation this morning

This is a discussion on Odd situation this morning within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was doing my route this morning. One of my stops brought me to a house where there was a guy standing outside. Mid 40's ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odd situation this morning

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Odd situation this morning

I was doing my route this morning. One of my stops brought me to a house where there was a guy standing outside. Mid 40's maybe and really scruffy looking. It looked like he was getting into a car parked on the side of the road. Well I pulled up to deliver to this house and he walked around and proceeded to get in my vehicle. Now mind you this guy looked suspicious when I pulled up. Well he got in, and smelled of alcohol and cigarettes. At which point I flipped the light on and pulled my jacket back and placed my hand on my Glock 36 with a simple statement. “Get out”. He looked down and said… “Oh sorry”. And got out, more like stumbled out. Well as I drove off, I questioned myself if I did the right thing. I didn’t draw, but I made known that I had it. I think the guy was waiting for a ride and got in my car when I pulled up, thinking it was his ride. What would you have done?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    What would I have done? same as you did.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Maybe lock the doors when your out and about?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

In retrospect I really don't think he was trying to carjack me. He was drunk and got in the wrong car. Thats why I questioned myself later. I guess its better to be safe then sorry.

Results count

The situation turned out exactly right for you. He got out of your car with no arguments and you didn't have to do anything aggressive. You can't argue with the direct approach and a good outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Maybe lock the doors when your out and about?
    The perfect question! Doors should always be locked. Locked doors keep out goblins, as well as improve the structural integrity of the vehicle in the event of an accident!

Otherwise, given your facts, I'd have done exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I was doing my route this morning. One of my stops brought me to a house where there was a guy standing outside. Mid 40's maybe and really scruffy looking. It looked like he was getting into a car parked on the side of the road. Well I pulled up to deliver to this house and he walked around and proceeded to get in my vehicle. Now mind you this guy looked suspicious when I pulled up. Well he got in, and smelled of alcohol and cigarettes. At which point I flipped the light on and pulled my jacket back and placed my hand on my Glock 36 with a simple statement. “Get out”. He looked down and said… “Oh sorry”. And got out, more like stumbled out. Well as I drove off, I questioned myself if I did the right thing. I didn’t draw, but I made known that I had it. I think the guy was waiting for a ride and got in my car when I pulled up, thinking it was his ride. What would you have done?
    Yeah kept your doors locked. Could have save a potentially ugly situation.

Oh they were locked the rest of the route It had my heart going when he got in. I'm happy I kept my cool though, and could think clearly in an awkward situation.

The only minor thing I may have done differently is to tell him to get out before showing my gun. If he refused, or acted confused, then I would have shown the weapon and said it again. Basicly you did good.

Good move.
    The Glock makes an excellent persuader i guess..

In retrospect I really don't think he was trying to carjack me. He was drunk and got in the wrong car. Thats why I questioned myself later. I guess its better to be safe then sorry.
    Most likely a derelict, drunk and confused. Keeping your doors locked is a good security measure.

VIP Member
    I would say you were legal to do what you did, but I think I would have asked him to get out before I showed my gun. Only you know his actions and demeaner. Sounds like he was calm and non threatning in his actions. It definatly warrented being on alert. I wouldn't sweat it, I'm sure alot of people on here would have done just what you did.

On a per capita basis, the town I live in is the murder capital of Florida. That is why I am armed and the vehicle doors locked before I back out of the garage. Locking the doors has become as routine as putting on my seat belt--never do one without the other.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was doing my route this morning.
    What sort of route are you on?
    I used to deliver newspapers in the hinterlands of north central No Dak a few years ago. Nothing out of the ordinary ever happened, but in hindsight, I wish I would have been packing. I delivered between roughly midnight and five in the morning to small towns and farms and such.
    On the plus side, I WAS able to write a few of my best songs while driving alone into the vast unknown!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I would have done the same.

This an excellent change to reiterate how important it is that your gun be accessible while you are driving. An IWB rig at 4 o'clock will be hard if not impossible to reach quickly if it is needed.

In your case it went fine, but I could see being stuck next to a carjacker while armed and there's nothing you can do.

I usually have my .38 snub in the console next to me even if I am wearing my 9mm. It's just easier to access if I am driving.

+1 for door locks.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links