GA is no longer a shall-issue state

This is a discussion on GA is no longer a shall-issue state within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ugh! My wife and I waited over 90 days early this year for ours and I thought that was a bit ridiculous. That's in Cobb ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA is no longer a shall-issue state

Ugh! My wife and I waited over 90 days early this year for ours and I thought that was a bit ridiculous. That's in Cobb county where the city of Woodstock is who have that wonderful law "requiring" homeowners to own a gun (though it's never enforced). I don't know the best way to issue permits, but I don't see why not let law abiding citizens who pass whatever background checks to purchase a gun be allowed to carry one.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

2. Remove Ads

Usually the caution about using generalities as the rule is right, but in point of fact it is a truism that our Judiciary places itself above the rest of us peons!

The problem with an extremely high percentage of those holding Judicial positions is that they consider themselves "elite", thus we get the sort of activism that involves them legislating and ignoring the concept of power seperation. They really DO hold themselves above the Legislative and Executive branches and therein is the core of the problem.

It is truly a damned shame that those sorts so dishonor both themselves and our Constitution.

And I am nearly convinced that anyone holding BAR membership ought to be prohibited from holding public office!

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Doesn't the federal law still require age 21 before one can carry a handgun? Or is that just to purchase one? I know that you can be given one by a parent at 18, but in Vermont, does that mean one can CARRY prior to age 21?
    21 is the federal age to purchase a handgun. I may be wrong on this but I think it only applies to buying from an FFL. State law states that a Private sale can happen when you are 16.

An YES One can carry starting at age 16 according to state statutes.

The Brady Bunch Hates VT

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legisla...tate.php?st=vt

In my book the lower the score the higher the freedom!
    Last edited by amathis; September 27th, 2007 at 12:33 PM. Reason: add link

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    All of you folks from GA need to join Grass Roots of GA.

GeorgiaCarry.Org is that organization!

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    All of you folks from GA need to join Grass Roots of GA. Most states have them and these groups will keep you updated of all new proposals both good and bad as well as links to the emails of all your reps so you can voice your opinion. As the member basically said above if we are all silent, we are just as bad as sheep. We need to stay on top of our states gun laws and do everything we can to change them or keep them from being changed. Grass Roots just makes this way to easy to not join.
    We have a grass roots organization working on improving Georgia laws. It was one of their law suits that this decision came down on. They're still doing all they can to better the situation here.

http://georgiacarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    We have a grass roots organization working on improving Georgia laws. It was one of their law suits that this decision came down on. They're still doing all they can to better the situation here.

http://georgiacarry.org
    Like HB850!

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2.../sum/hb850.htm

A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Code Section 16-11-129 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to a license to carry a pistol or revolver and temporary renewal permits, so as to require permits to be issued more quickly; to provide legislative findings; to provide for temporary permits for initial applicants when permits are delayed without cause; to provide for the return of application fees under certain circumstances where permits are not timely issued; to provide for related matters; to provide an effective date; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.
    http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/...pic.php?t=2681

Quote Originally Posted by ev239 View Post
    Ugh! My wife and I waited over 90 days early this year for ours and I thought that was a bit ridiculous. That's in Cobb county where the city of Woodstock is who have that wonderful law "requiring" homeowners to own a gun (though it's never enforced). I don't know the best way to issue permits, but I don't see why not let law abiding citizens who pass whatever background checks to purchase a gun be allowed to carry one.
    I thought Woodstock was in Cherokee county, and Kennesaw, (Cobb County) had the ordnance... either way, if I were still a resident of Georgia, you could bet I'd be making some calls to legislators and joining the GeorgiaCarry.ORG. Good luck to ya.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Now, I'm not so sure that it's as bad as it sounds, though it may take a court case to find out. The fact that they can wait until the background check arrives does not necessarily mean that they can avoid sending for the check. A good attorney (maybe that's an oxymoron) could probably force the issue for you.

If I lived in GA I think I would be making a trip south to FL to get a Florida CCL. Isn't that honored in GA?

Thankfully I live in a state that for the most part respects 2nd amendment rights

Quote Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko View Post
    If I lived in GA I think I would be making a trip south to FL to get a Florida CCL. Isn't that honored in GA?

Thankfully I live in a state that for the most part respects 2nd amendment rights
    Not for a resident.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko View Post

Yea, but then the 9th Circuit takes over!

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker45 View Post
    I thought Woodstock was in Cherokee county, and Kennesaw, (Cobb County) had the ordnance... either way, if I were still a resident of Georgia, you could bet I'd be making some calls to legislators and joining the GeorgiaCarry.ORG. Good luck to ya.
    You're right. My bad. I'm originally a North Fulton-er so I get mixed up with my west-side counties.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    Now, I'm not so sure that it's as bad as it sounds, though it may take a court case to find out.
    This is the court case. Appealed all the way to the state supreme court. Supreme court denies cert. so the appeals court ruling stands.

That's the problem.

And it's the City of Kennesaw that has that pointless law about heads of households being required to own guns. I think it's silly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links