Utah says "No More" to Permits for Foreigners

This is a discussion on Utah says "No More" to Permits for Foreigners within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Because of the tough task of getting background checks, Utah won't renew/issue permits to foreigners: See http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1 for the full story. Cheers! harleyb...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utah says "No More" to Permits for Foreigners

Because of the tough task of getting background checks, Utah won't renew/issue permits to foreigners:

See http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

for the full story.

Cheers!

harleyb

I guess I can't say as I blame them. If your going to do background checks on residents of your state or US citizens, and use that to either approve or deny their license, I don't see where a non citizen should be approved without gaining access to the accurate records of the non citizens.

That kinda puts US citizens at a disadvantage in thier own country, doesn't it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I'm not sure why this didn't happen along time ago. The whole thing seemed like a bad idea to me...
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

i agree. this is one gun 'restriction' i am perfectly ok with!

Being an USA Citizen, in any State, should be the first and foremost requirement.

UT's law enforcement agencies can get access to Canada's "hot list" via NLETS. They can also get access to RCMP background checks via the applicant, the applicant only has to sign a waiver to say the results of the background check are to be sent to whoever issues the permit.

Not that hard...

Sounds like a pretty lame cop out. I always admired Utah for giving Canadians permits.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I guess visitors from other countries don't have a God given right to self defense.

My personal view is that even requiring permits from the government to carry a gun is a violation of the 2nd Amendment and even more than that, a violation of an individual's right as a human being to defend themselves.

Is there anyone on this forum who travels to another country and is happy about having to disarm while there?

I don't look at this as a positive move at all.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I guess visitors from other countries don't have a God given right to self defense.

My personal view is that even requiring permits from the government to carry a gun is a violation of the 2nd Amendment and even more than that, a violation of an individual's right as a human being to defend themselves.

Is there anyone on this forum who travels to another country and is happy about having to disarm while there?

I don't look at this as a positive move at all.
    Very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHun View Post
    Very well said.
    Agreed.

Paul G is 100% on point and I'm stunned that folks here are supportive of the measure.
    I mean how many threads have there been here from persons who are travelling for work or pleasure to states and countries foreign to them where they have stated they are concerned about not being able to defend their person and seeking alternative methods.
    Be you a 'foreigner' stepping foot in to Hawaii, D.C., Maryland, or Mexico a man remains a man where ever he happens to lay his head, hat, keys, and/or wallet.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

If there's no way to do a background check, how can a permit be issued? Would anyone here sanction the issuance of permits to the terrorists who brought us 9-11?
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    If there's no way to do a background check, how can a permit be issued? Would anyone here sanction the issuance of permits to the terrorists who brought us 9-11?
    I don't fear a terrorist with a gun nearly as much as I fear a government who will restrict law abiding citizens from exercising their RIGHT to defend themselves.

A terrorist or other bad guy will get a gun regardless of whether he gets a permit or not.

You probably noticed that I don't think much about permits or background checks.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I'm not sure whether to say I support or oppose this ruling. The permits are in place to help prevent certain people from carrying guns, and yet I don't like the idea of anyone and I mean ANYONE having to ask their government for permission to be able to defend themselves. I do feel anyone who enters this country should apply for United States Citizenship.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

PM
    You know, we all seem to think that we have to have a CCW and/or a CCW permit to defend ourselves. The only reason for the permit/asking permission is to not get busted for carrying. If ANY one wants to CC they can do so without the permit; we call the criminals. Our choices is wether or not we want to be a criminal. I have no problem with background checks; if a person from wherever can pass a background check give them the permit. My peferance is that the person would be a US Citizen or have a good reason to carry. As for permits; good idea in that it is good to know who is and who is not carrying legally?!?

spyderdude.. I would love to become a United States citizen, but that is not possible. Except through a 'green card lottery', also called a snowball in h.....

We don't have the common law system in our country, there are very few restrictions on the police. For example, they have the power of indefinite detention in solitary confinement. (Yes, I am still talking about Western Europe here) We are a NATO ally. I could allow the Utah DoS my records, I'm sure they'd have a much fatter file on me than on any American, we even have a 'birth number' (national ID number) that follows us everywhere, so basically the Utah bureaucrats would probably know everything about me down to what color socks I wore when I was baptised.

I served in said NATO-ally's armed forces, I was issued both dangerous sharp objects and things that go boom, and I managed to avoid maiming living things despite being a dirty second-class foreigner. Shouldn't that count for something?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links